This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Outside documenting it as a meme, I'm not sure what Massive Damage is that other pages aren't. I mean, we already have Critical Hit for this type of thing, and the only games on the page right now also show up on the Giant Enemy Crab page, leading me to believe those games only reference the giant enemy crab thing and that's why they're on the massive damage page.

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Why the hell is Viva Pinata tagged to that page? haha.....and oh yeah, this obviously needs to be deleted so I agree.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4245 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Hey, VGK, you seem to find pages to delete, a lot. I'm wondering, do you think we could try set up a group of dudes to try and flush out the concepts page? I mean, seriously. Some of that shit is crazy unneeded. That and we could also punch dumb wiki's in the face?

#4 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Baillie: My best advice is to catch dumb concepts out of the gate by policing the "new additions" page....this keeps the number of invalid concepts from rising and its easier than digging around looking for concepts.

#5 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers:

I found this one by searching for a concept relating to massively single player (pretty much any game that plays like an MMO without other players), but that way's also pretty good. Hell, I think I see some now. Does Korean Shamanism actually appear in any games? Should there be a new rule feature in the redesign saying that if you create a concept, you have to attach at least one game to it before it can be created? Or are there instances where that may not hold?

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Ugh. Kill that page please.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

This page should not exist. Someone ice it.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Hailinel

This page should not exist. Someone ice it.

Some cement shoes are in order. Pay a visit to this threads home maybe and show him how The Family does business with mooks and rats.
#9 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Guided_By_Tigers:

I found this one by searching for a concept relating to massively single player (pretty much any game that plays like an MMO without other players), but that way's also pretty good. Hell, I think I see some now. Does Korean Shamanism actually appear in any games? Should there be a new rule saying that if you create a concept, you have to attach at least one game to it before it can be created? Or are there instances where that may not hold?

If you don't have the wiki points to freely edit pages at will, you can't add games to new pages immediately after their creation. Any requests to add games to freshly created pages get shuffled into the wiki moderation queue.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Said post was edited to reflect this development.

#11 Posted by Praxis (261 posts) -

The Giant Enemy Crab page should be deleted for the same reason. The origin of this meme is already explained on the Genji: Days of the Blade page, which is a more appropriate place for it, and there are several other pages that can be used to document instances in which games refer to other games, memes, or internet culture in general.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Praxis:

I don't know. At least Giant Enemy Crab is something more tangible and objective than Massive Damage. I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

Same here.

#14 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@Praxis said:

The Giant Enemy Crab page should be deleted for the same reason. The origin of this meme is already explained on the Genji: Days of the Blade page, which is a more appropriate place for it, and there are several other pages that can be used to document instances in which games refer to other games, memes, or internet culture in general.

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

Same here.

#15 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1644 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

I don't know. At least Giant Enemy Crab is something more tangible and objective than Massive Damage. I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

But if you accept that, then what's stopping people from creating hundreds of "Giant enemy X" pages?

#16 Posted by Praxis (261 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: @Hailinel: @PandaBear: I think you're defending this page on the basis that it could be construed as something that it isn't. We're not really dealing with a page about large hostile crabs; we're dealing with a page that was created to describe a meme and the various games that reference it. Everything written on the page is explicitly devoted to this topic, and there are a number of games referenced, like Heavenly Sword and Viva Piñata, that don't actually have crabs in them, but do reference the meme. Even if the current article is deleted and the meme associations are removed, people will just add that information back in because the page is named after a meme. It was ill-conceived from the start, and it seems better to scrap it and move on than to try to mold it into something else.

#17 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@Praxis said:

@Video_Game_King: @Hailinel: @PandaBear: I think you're defending this page on the basis that it could be construed as something that it isn't. We're not really dealing with a page about large hostile crabs; we're dealing with a page that was created to describe a meme and the various games that reference it. Everything written on the page is explicitly devoted to this topic, and there are a number of games referenced, like Heavenly Sword and Viva Piñata, that don't actually have crabs in them, but do reference the meme. Even if the current article is deleted and the meme associations are removed, people will just add that information back in because the page is named after a meme. It was ill-conceived from the start, and it seems better to scrap it and move on than to try to mold it into something else.

I'd rather remember all of video game history, the weird and stupid references included, then have them lost to the ages. We know what it means now, I'm thinking 10-15 years into the future.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

@Praxis said:

@Video_Game_King: @Hailinel: @PandaBear: I think you're defending this page on the basis that it could be construed as something that it isn't. We're not really dealing with a page about large hostile crabs; we're dealing with a page that was created to describe a meme and the various games that reference it. Everything written on the page is explicitly devoted to this topic, and there are a number of games referenced, like Heavenly Sword and Viva Piñata, that don't actually have crabs in them, but do reference the meme. Even if the current article is deleted and the meme associations are removed, people will just add that information back in because the page is named after a meme. It was ill-conceived from the start, and it seems better to scrap it and move on than to try to mold it into something else.

I'd rather remember all of video game history, the weird and stupid references included, then have them lost to the ages. We know what it means now, I'm thinking 10-15 years into the future.

On the one hand, it's a stupid meme of little historical value.

On the other, there are games that actually do feature oversized antagonistic crustaceans.

#19 Posted by DeF (4922 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Guided_By_Tigers:

I found this one by searching for a concept relating to massively single player (pretty much any game that plays like an MMO without other players),

off topic but did you find anything? something like the multiplayer for singleplayer page?

#20 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Guided_By_Tigers:

I found this one by searching for a concept relating to massively single player (pretty much any game that plays like an MMO without other players),

off topic but did you find anything? something like the multiplayer for singleplayer page?

Massively single player is not a concept. It's just a single-player game.

#21 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

I don't know. At least Giant Enemy Crab is something more tangible and objective than Massive Damage. I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

But if you accept that, then what's stopping people from creating hundreds of "Giant enemy X" pages?

Not enough games have other giant enemies. Giant Enemy Crab is something that occurs a lot for some reason.

#22 Posted by CaLe (4018 posts) -

I thought there was a thread for requesting deletions and such... maybe I'm imagining things.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Have any of you actually made sure viva pinata does not contain the reference in question. Because as I recall viva pinata has a lot of references. Other then that Im not sure.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Praxis:

Then remove the games that simply reference it without featuring crabs and rewrite the page so it explicitly says that it's only for giant enemy crabs. It works for Skull For A Head, right?

@Hailinel said:

Massively single player is not a concept. It's just a single-player game.

Technically, it was something Nintendo described for future games at E3 2012, but as they haven't made any games that actually use it, yet, it probably shouldn't get a concept page. (Of course, I could create the page and super specifically define it a la NosCon, but I'm very lazy, you see.)

#25 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1644 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

But if you accept that, then what's stopping people from creating hundreds of "Giant enemy X" pages?

Not enough games have other giant enemies. Giant Enemy Crab is something that occurs a lot for some reason.

Fair enough.

#26 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@DeF said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Guided_By_Tigers:

I found this one by searching for a concept relating to massively single player (pretty much any game that plays like an MMO without other players),

off topic but did you find anything? something like the multiplayer for singleplayer page?

Massively single player is not a concept. It's just a single-player game.

It would just be an open world RPG.
#27 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Video_Game_King

@Praxis:

Then remove the games that simply reference it without featuring crabs and rewrite the page so it explicitly says that it's only for giant enemy crabs. It works for Skull For A Head, right?

@Hailinel said:

Massively single player is not a concept. It's just a single-player game.

Technically, it was something Nintendo described for future games at E3 2012, but as they haven't made any games that actually use it, yet, it probably shouldn't get a concept page. (Of course, I could create the page and super specifically define it a la NosCon, but I'm very lazy, you see.)

Spore was sold as being msp
#28 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -
@Irvandus said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

I don't know. At least Giant Enemy Crab is something more tangible and objective than Massive Damage. I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

But if you accept that, then what's stopping people from creating hundreds of "Giant enemy X" pages?

Not enough games have other giant enemies. Giant Enemy Crab is something that occurs a lot for some reason.

We should just have a "giant versions of enemies" page, or something.  Having a different page for each type of enemy is absurd, but the larger concept deserves a page.
#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

On one hand it is a 'concept' page. On the other. No I say keep it.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Turambar:

I'd say we could have all those different pages as long as we had a "giant enemy X" index of some type. But that's a complaint for another thread (that I made many Earths ago).

#31 Posted by Praxis (261 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: You're talking about a lot of work to reform a pretty questionable page. Rewriting the article, going through every association to make sure that it is legitimately related to giant crabs, renaming the page so that it is not specifically meme-related... If someone is really interested in going through all of that to save the page, alright then, but as it stands now, it is a joke page that should be deleted.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Praxis:

I have recommended it as a wiki task for just such a thing.

#33 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@Praxis

@Video_Game_King: You're talking about a lot of work to reform a pretty questionable page. Rewriting the article, going through every association to make sure that it is legitimately related to giant crabs, renaming the page so that it is not specifically meme-related... If someone is really interested in going through all of that to save the page, alright then, but as it stands now, it is a joke page that should be deleted.

Except it's a concept page about a concept relating to video games. Even if it is a meme.
#34 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Praxis:

I don't know. At least Giant Enemy Crab is something more tangible and objective than Massive Damage. I can name a couple of games with giant enemy crabs, for one.

But if you accept that, then what's stopping people from creating hundreds of "Giant enemy X" pages?

I for one would love to be able to search for every game with giant enemy squirrels.

#35 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Guided_By_Tigers:

I found this one by searching for a concept relating to massively single player (pretty much any game that plays like an MMO without other players), but that way's also pretty good. Hell, I think I see some now. Does Korean Shamanism actually appear in any games? Should there be a new rule feature in the redesign saying that if you create a concept, you have to attach at least one game to it before it can be created? Or are there instances where that may not hold?

Such a feature would not stop invalid concepts from being created though, so I don't really see a use for it other than to have games immediately attached to a concept rather than having them wait through moderation for users who don't have live edits.....personally, I think ALL created concepts should have to go through moderation regardless of the amount of points a user has.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers:

It'd at least force people to ask if what they're going to add has actually appeared in a video game at some point.

#37 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I don't know why someone would create a concept on here if they couldn't think of any games that said concept appears in, this is a video game wiki after all.....but maybe I underestimate the stupidity of some of the people who have live edits here.

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers:

A few of the newer concepts don't have any games attached to them, and I can't readily think of any games that have something like Confucianism.

#39 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

This is a meme, not a concept. It should be removed.

#40 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: The person who created that page doesn't have live edits.....so I guess a moderator thought it was okay, my best guess is it may play a rule in some historical strategy games

#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers:

Maybe? I couldn't really find anything on Confucius himself in video games, though, so I'm not entirely sure.

#42 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

Marked the Massive Damage page for deletion. As for Giant Enemy Crab, I'm leaning towards having a single Giant Enemy page rather than one for each type of creature. The meme reference could still be mentioned there.

Moderator
#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mracoon:

As long as it's called Giant Enemy X, because that's the only name it can be. Also, it should probably be outlined that games can only be added to that page if the giant enemy is a version of something that isn't normally giant (EG Blaster Master gets in, but Shadow of the Colossus doesn't).

#44 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

I've fully deleted the Massive Damage page.

Staff
#45 Posted by Praxis (261 posts) -

@mracoon: Having a single concept page for abnormally large creatures seems preferable. If you go that route, I would also recommend renaming the Giant Enemy Worm page to Sandworm, as that is a more well-defined concept that doesn't borrow meme terminology.

#46 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Baillie said:

@Video_Game_King: Hey, VGK, you seem to find pages to delete, a lot. I'm wondering, do you think we could try set up a group of dudes to try and flush out the concepts page? I mean, seriously. Some of that shit is crazy unneeded. That and we could also punch dumb wiki's in the face?

I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen as long as you have pages for things such as, "penis".

#47 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I've created the Giant Enemy X page. If anybody wants to change the name or add something to it, go right ahead.

#48 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Baillie said:

@Video_Game_King: Hey, VGK, you seem to find pages to delete, a lot. I'm wondering, do you think we could try set up a group of dudes to try and flush out the concepts page? I mean, seriously. Some of that shit is crazy unneeded. That and we could also punch dumb wiki's in the face?

I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen as long as you have pages for things such as, "penis".

Which frankly shouldn't even be a concept. They're actual things.

Now, a concept based on phallic imagery might work. But the Penis page itself is pretty stupid.

#49 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Napalm said:

@Baillie said:

@Video_Game_King: Hey, VGK, you seem to find pages to delete, a lot. I'm wondering, do you think we could try set up a group of dudes to try and flush out the concepts page? I mean, seriously. Some of that shit is crazy unneeded. That and we could also punch dumb wiki's in the face?

I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen as long as you have pages for things such as, "penis".

Which frankly shouldn't even be a concept. They're actual things.

Now, a concept based on phallic imagery might work. But the Penis page itself is pretty stupid.

That's what she said. Yes! Yes!

#50 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

A little piece of video game history has been wiped from the Giant Bomb database.