• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

The character page for Meowth should be deleted.

First and foremost: Yes, I'm aware this thread was created and locked before - http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/delete-combine-requests/34/combine-meowth-character-and-meowth-concept/274011/

However, information was not brought up: In no game that a Meowth has appeared in has he spoken any lines of dialogue or given any indication that he's the same character as in the series. This is very clearly a case where the the representation of a character in another medium is affecting perception of a generic appearance of a non-unique enemy.

Four things make the anime Meowth unique from other meowth pokemon, if we're going to make the argument: He can speak, he hangs out with Team Rocket members Jessie and James, he's never kept in a pokeball, and he does not know how to use the species-specific Pay Day attack. In the games, only the second is true.

Even according to the Pokemon Wiki, he's not ever treated as a unique character in any of the games. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Jessie_and_James%27s_Meowth#In_the_games and http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meowth#Other_appearances This was a conscious choice made on the part of Nintendo and Game Freak, for whatever reason.

The closest any of the games has come is in Pokemon Yellow, which most closely reflects the TV series, however the changes are superficial and were shoved into the framework for the existing Red/Blue Pokemon games. The player encounters recognizable sprites of Jessie and James as unnamed enemies and they throw out their pokeballs just like any other trainer in the game, and among the other pokemon they use on the show, a meowth is included. The game meowth also knows Pay Day, as does the meowth in other games like Smash Bros. Again, I'll stress that Jessie and James themselves are never mentioned by name in the games, however they did alter the sprites for some of the random Team Rocket encounters from Red/Blue into them for Yellow, as well as using dialogue in keeping with catchphrases from the show, so their inclusion in the GB wiki is justified, even though the entries and all images are almost entirely biased in favor of content from the anime. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Team_Rocket_trio#In_the_games

I understand there's a lot of love for the anime out there, enough to even cause the entry name for the Pokemon game protagonist, "Red," to be listed on this wiki as "Ash Ketchum," and his rival "Blue" to be "Gary Oak," even though they're never referred to as that in a game. I'm not going to argue that all of that content should be kept strictly to their Anime Vice entries (Even though it probably should), because context and appearances in other media for a given character or concept can make for a more comprehensive page. However, I don't think a page should exist solely because of a tangential link in another form of media. i.e., a cameo of something or someone famous in a game should not be an excuse to create a page and fill it up with stuff that has nothing to do with games.

Two pages for meowths just aren't necessary. Anything anyone would like to say about Meowth the "character" can be mentioned on the concept page, even though technically all of it will be descriptions of the anime, since there's absolutely nothing special about the one in the game appearances.

(and yes, I appreciate the irony of the fact this post is longer than both entries combined.)

Here's the TL;DR:

If someone had never seen the anime and had only played the games, there is absolutely no way anyone could ever think of the representation of Team Rocket's Meowth as a unique character any more than any of the pre-defined sets of pokemon any enemy trainer uses. The character page should be deleted in favor of the concept page. If the anime didn't exist, neither would the character page. If the anime Meowth wasn't able to speak, the giantbomb character page wouldn't exist. That should not be what defines a character.

Giving this meowth his own character page based solely on his appearance in the games is akin to making a "Marauder Shields" character page. I absolutely understand why many people would support the idea, but limited to the content of the games, it would be unwarranted. Both "characters," specifically as represented in their respective games, are defined purely by their context and would otherwise be indistinguishable from others of their species in appearance or behavior. That is not a character.

#2 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Meowth that's right.

#3 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Pokemon Yellow doesn't count because it's a remake therefore it isn't real.

Rock solid.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

Rock solid.
My childhood isn't real then? Oh my god...
#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

You think way to much about this.

But that dose not nullify the validity of your arguments.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I fully support the creation of a Marauder Shields page.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

The unique Meowth character from the anime appears in Pokemon Puzzle League, which uses characters from the anime, including the talking, conniving, bumbling Meowth of Team Rocket.

Checkmate.

#8 Posted by TheKramer89 (422 posts) -

Let's just keep him in there, then we don't have to read your post.

#9 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

#10 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I was actually thinking of making a Marauder page to justify people posting Maurader Shields images in the gallery, but that's neither here nor there.

@LordXavierBritish said:

Rock solid.

Just like your reading comprehension? I never said anything close to that. Pokemon Yellow isn't a remake, it's a reworking of an earlier game to include content that's more in line with the show. Even if it were a remake, anything in it would be valid for wiki-ification. I'm just saying what exists in the game doesn't justify the existence of both a concept and a character page for a generic enemy sprite.

#11 Edited by onan (1283 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

The unique Meowth character from the anime appears in Pokemon Puzzle League, which uses characters from the anime, including the talking, conniving, bumbling Meowth of Team Rocket.

Checkmate.

In that case, that's the only game he should be listed as appearing in as a character.

Do you have any quotes from the game to support that? I haven't played much of the single player in that particular puzzle game.

It's still a pretty thin hook to hang a character page hat on. Why can't that get folded into the concept page as the only appearance of the unique voiced anime character?

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

Checkmate.

In that case, that's the only game he should be listed as appearing in as a character.

Do you have any quotes from the game to support that? I haven't played much of the single player in that particular puzzle game.

It's still a pretty thin hook to hang a character page hat on. Why can't that get folded into the concept page as the only appearance of the unique voiced anime character?

As long as a guy is in the game anyone can add a dude.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

Checkmate.

Just get to the Team Rocket stage. He shows up with Jessie and James.

And Meowth is a character because he's a unique character. The Meowth concept covers the species of Pokemon, just like Princess Ruto is independent of the Zora page.

#14 Edited by onan (1283 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

Checkmate.

And Meowth is a character because he's a unique character. The Meowth concept covers the species of Pokemon, just like Princess Ruto is independent of the Zora page.

The problem is that the character isn't a named character. If Princess Ruto were named Zora, then you'd have the right analogy. He only exists as a "character" in the anime. The one exception might be the Puzzle League game you mentioned, but again, that's just a few lines of dialogue from a puzzle opponent image when you lose or something, right? You tell me, I'm just assuming based off of other puzzle games with avatar characters in them.

Edit: I'd like to point out again that even the Pokemon wiki acknowledges that the Meowth from the anime doesn't appear in any of the games. You'd think if anyone would make the argument you're making, they would... but then, they don't have to, because they actually have a valid reason to include a "Meowth" character page.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

Checkmate.

The problem is that the character isn't a named character. If Princess Ruto were named Zora, then you'd have the right analogy. He only exists as a "character" in the anime. The one exception might be the Puzzle League game you mentioned, but again, that's just a few lines of dialogue from a puzzle opponent image when you lose or something, right? You tell me, I'm just assuming based off of other puzzle games with avatar characters in them.

What are you talking about? Meowth is the name of the character. People refer to him by that name. He refers to himself by that name. It is both the name of his species, and his proper name.

No, I will not deny that it's odd, but that's apparently the way things are in that world. Regardless, the character is in Pokemon Puzzle League, and thus he is eligible for a character page.

#16 Posted by EuanDewar (4771 posts) -

Nope, there's no way I can't find this funny.

#17 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

Checkmate.

What are you talking about? Meowth is the name of the character. People refer to him by that name. He refers to himself by that name. It is both the name of his species, and his proper name.

No, I will not deny that it's odd, but that's apparently the way things are in that world. Regardless, the character is in Pokemon Puzzle League, and thus he is eligible for a character page.

He refers to himself as "Meowth" in the puzzle game? He specifies that it's not just his species, but also his name, in the puzzle game?

or are you basing this on the Anime? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen that logic in the anime, but if I didn't watch anime and was just playing the game, I wouldn't see the distinction.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

And here is Meowth in Puzzle League:

#19 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I can't believe I read the entire goddamn thing. Good lord, what the hell is wrong with me?! And you?!

#20 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

@onan said:

@Hailinel said:

Checkmate.

He refers to himself as "Meowth" in the puzzle game? He specifies that it's not just his species, but also his name, in the puzzle game?

or are you basing this on the Anime? Because I'm pretty sure I've seen that logic in the anime, but if I didn't watch anime and was just playing the game, I wouldn't see the distinction.

As having seen the anime and played the game it is the same creature. The same reason can be made for any game if a person does not haev outside knowing of it. That is "Mewoth" The team rocket "Meowth"  

I a with Hailinel. The OP is splitting hairs. Why does it matter if a person doesnt know who meowth is? Also why would someone who doesnt even watch the series pick up this game? 90% of the incentive is that it is pokemon. 
#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -
#22 Edited by onan (1283 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

And here is Meowth in Puzzle League:

@Dagbiker said:

Ok, I watched that whole thing, and all I saw was a picture of a meowth. I also saw Ash's bulbasaur and other pokemon who don't have character pages associated with them. It could be seen as an argument for koffing to have his own character page (he keeps saying "game over"), but this doesn't seem to be what you were saying it was.

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8025 posts) -

Yep, that's Meowth proper. Leave the page, close this thread.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan: Still counts.

#25 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Everybody else is obvously a character from the anime, including Meowth.

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
I do have a problem with the page's content, as it goes on and on about the show, and then ends with a footnote stating that none of it applies to the games. But he does appear in Pokémon Puzzle League based on his anime appearance, and since he's a unique character there he's a unique character here. So the page's existence is fine, but the article itself needs to be more clear about which aspects of his character are relevant to video games. This is a video game website after all.
#27 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

It's like there being hundreds of unfilled game and character pages. It's a character by definition and should exist. Whether a strongly used or even lightly used character is not the issue, just being a character justifies it.

#28 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

It sounds like you're arguing for a character page (completely separate from the species/concept page) to exist on the basis of the image of an unnamed anime character with no discernible unique characteristics existing within one game, and the only reason you identify that as the Anime meowth is because the image is a group shot.

I still don't see why that deserves a separate, second page.

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

I do have a problem with the page's content, as it goes on and on about the show, and then ends with a footnote stating that none of it applies to the games. But he does appear in Pokémon Puzzle League based on his anime appearance, and since he's a unique character there he's a unique character here. So the page's existence is fine, but the article itself needs to be more clear about which aspects of his character are relevant to video games. This is a video game website after all.

I agree with this, also the Pokemon red/blue, Yellow, Silver/gold, Green/Red, Heart/Soul, and perhaps snap, need to be removed.

#30 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@LordAndrew said:

I agree with this, also the Pokemon red/blue, Yellow, Silver/gold, Green/Red, Heart/Soul, and perhaps snap, need to be removed.

Done. 
#31 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan said:

@Dagbiker said:

It sounds like you're arguing for a character page (completely separate from the species/concept page) to exist on the basis of the image of an unnamed anime character with no discernible unique characteristics existing within one game, and the only reason you identify that as the Anime meowth is because the image is a group shot.

I still don't see why that deserves a separate, second page.

Having a name is not a requirement for a character page, but even so, as has been said before Meowth is his name. He is the talking, scheming unique Meowth of Team Rocket that has been a part of Team Rocket for as long as the anime has existed. Pokemon Puzzle League uses the anime series characters, including Meowth. Therefore, Meowth gets a page.

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

Because that Meowth is a Meowth but all other Meowths are not that one. He should have credits in games hes not in but he is a very different character. He, unlike other members of his species, speaks. He also has a game credit. He deserves a page.

#33 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Xpgamer7 said:

It's like there being hundreds of unfilled game and character pages. It's a character by definition and should exist. Whether a strongly used or even lightly used character is not the issue, just being a character justifies it.

That's just it, it's not. If anything, based on the games and on the show, I'd say they were alternate universes or timelines. In the show, Pikachu is some super unique pokemon with ridiculous and unnatural power levels and unique characteristics. In the RPG games, he's just an electric rodent, however he's a playable character in Smash Bros and has games like Hey You, Pikachu" under his belt.

Meowth as a unique (speaking) character is entirely an invention of the show and based on what I've seen, it's not supported by the games at all. If anything, he's represented as being just another owned pokemon, like Misty's Psyduck or something.

It's just not a character. He's identifiable as one of a species, but not a character, at least until a game comes out that makes him unique in some way. Given it's been what, 14 years? I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

I'm not saying the show Meowth doesn't deserve a page, only that it belongs on AnimeVice.com. Based on the meowth appearances in the games, there's no reason to have a separate character page.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan said:

@Xpgamer7 said:

That's just it, it's not. If anything, based on the games and on the show, I'd say they were alternate universes or timelines. In the show, Pikachu is some super unique pokemon with ridiculous and unnatural power levels and unique characteristics. In the RPG games, he's just an electric rodent, however he's a playable character in Smash Bros and has games like Hey You, Pikachu" under his belt.

Meowth as a unique (speaking) character is entirely an invention of the show and based on what I've seen, it's not supported by the games at all. If anything, he's represented as being just another owned pokemon, like Misty's Psyduck or something.

It's just not a character. He's identifiable as one of a species, but not a character, at least until a game comes out that makes him unique in some way. Given it's been what, 14 years? I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

I'm not saying the show Meowth doesn't deserve a page, only that it belongs on AnimeVice.com. Based on the meowth appearances in the games, there's no reason to have a separate character page.

Pokemon Yellow features a unique Pikachu inspired by the one in the anime. I believe that Yellow also features Jessie and James.

Also, the anime Meowth is the one in Pokemon Puzzle League, therefore, he gets a Giant Bomb page.

#35 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

@Hailinel: I just watched a dude play Pokémon Puzzle League for ten minutes.... what am I doing with my life?

#36 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

@Hailinel: I just watched a dude play Pokémon Puzzle League for ten minutes.... what am I doing with my life?

If you were doing what I was doing, you were laughing your ass off at that dude's frustration. God, that game is stupid unfair at that stage.

#37 Posted by Narx (172 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

Same thing man, why all this hassle for a pokemon

#38 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

@Narx: Why do we do anything man.

#39 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I cannot fathom why you fill so strongly about this.

#40 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

I know for a fact there are comparisons that can easily be made, I just wasn't coming up with any. Finally remembered one.

Suezo is practically the mascot for the Monster Rancher series, which, for those that don't know, is very similar to Pokemon but not nearly as lucky in sales. There was also a Monster Rancher anime that featured a character, a Suezo, also named "Suezo." He pretty much served the same purpose as Meowth on the show as well, being obnoxious and loud-mouthed.

No one would defend a Suezo character page in addition to a concept page, however, even though the situation is almost exactly the same. Why? Because no one cared about the Monster Rancher anime.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan: Is the Suezo character. Not the species, but the specific character from the anime, in any Monster Rancher game?

If so, then he gets a page. It's that simple.

#42 Posted by Fawkes (234 posts) -
#43 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@TentPole said:

I don't care at all, honestly, but I can type quickly and the page has no game-related reason to exist other than anime fanboyism.

#44 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

quick somebody make an anime meowth dating sim so we can keep the page!

#45 Posted by Hailinel (23924 posts) -

@onan said:

@TentPole said:

I don't care at all, honestly, but I can type quickly and the page has no game-related reason to exist other than anime fanboyism.

No, the page exists because Meowth is in a video game. I don't know why that's difficult for you to contemplate.

#46 Posted by StarvingGamer (8025 posts) -
@onan

@TentPole said:

Or, you know, accurracy.
#47 Posted by ajamafalous (11856 posts) -

Hailinel's right.

#48 Posted by xcrox (17 posts) -

Aside from the Pokemon Puzzle League example already given there is also:

Meowth in Pokemon Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmcUP68uCQ8&feature=related

Meowth in Melee as trophy. Notice the description references Pokemon Channel

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Meowth

Pokemon Zany Cards

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Zany_Cards

for the Pokemon Mini

http://www.giantbomb.com/pokemon-mini/60-134/

No idea WTF this shit is... But it's a game, and it's got Meowth in it

(info from Bulbapedia, i found the links, google is my friend)

This is also completely disregarding the fact the animated Team Rocket trio, of which (capitol M)eowth is a member, are featured in yellow. Even if that meowth is not "special" in mechanical terms, it IS (capitol M)eowth. He is jessie and james' pokemon.

This is also ALSO disregarding the fact that pokemon the show is BASED ON the pokemon game series. That in my mind is enough to grant Meowth a page on this site.

#49 Posted by StarFoxA (5138 posts) -

@Fawkes: Dude, that Meowth can PARTY.

#50 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@onan: Is the Suezo character. Not the species, but the specific character from the anime, in any Monster Rancher game?

If so, then he gets a page. It's that simple.

Why? In the game, he's just a suezo. Just like Team Rocket's meowth is just a meowth, with no indication of having all of the attributes of the anime meowth. In fact, evidenced on being able to perform Pay Day, I'd say he's specifically not the anime Meowth. Game meowth has no reason to be special other than a viewer desire for him to be special, much like Brad's Bathroom Guy during the Breaking Brad Mile High Club on Veteran challenge. Bathroom guy is special because he's coming out of a bathroom and is the first of a series of identical enemies you see in a frustrating series you'll have to do over and over, Marauder Shields is distinguishable by where he's standing while trying to save commander Shepard, and this game meowth is distinguishable by his appearance alongside Team Rocket and nothing else.

If Bioware decided to fund an anime about "Marauder Shields," as a rebellious Reaper trooper ready to fight for the forces of good and named him "Marauder Shields," he still wouldn't deserve his own page based solely on his appearance in ME3. He's still just a marauder.