This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DeF (4814 posts) -

Hey!

Nintendo Seal of Quality is not a page we need, imo. That seal is literally on every box ever and has no function in the wiki. If someone wants to describe what it is, that could be mentioned on the Nintendo company page.

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11728 posts) -
#3 Edited by MEATBALL (3099 posts) -

It's a thing in videogames, though, and historically has a larger role. Personally when I visit a wiki I prefer more specificity, not less. If I were searching the wiki for the Nintendo Seal of Quality I'd rather find a page about it than be redirected to a simple general Nintendo page. That said, the current page is in a pretty poor state.

I'm hardly a big wiki brain, though, so I'll leave it to those who are huge on this stuff to figure out.

#4 Edited by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

That's kinda like saying "We don't need a wiki page about the Sovjet Union, since it doesn't exist anymore. Just relink to Russia (and some other states)"

Nintendo Seal of Quality was a big deal in the past, it's part of videogame history, and if I want to read about it I should be able to.

#5 Posted by Kowbrainz (923 posts) -

The seal is pretty significant in Nintendo's history as a publisher. The crash of '83 was largely attributed to oversaturation of the market from crappy unlicensed games, resulting in a drop in buyer confidence. The seal was one part of Nintendo's plan to build that confidence in videogame consumers again.

Granted, the page doesn't say any of this so it could do with an update at the least.

#6 Posted by DeF (4814 posts) -

I feel all of this would fit in better on the company page as there is no point in attaching it to thousands of game pages.

Of course this is just another part of the problem with the wiki and the lack of direction of clear guidelines as to what should and shouldn't be a page and how we use it. Sometimes it seems nobody cares about the actual wiki anymore.

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

There should be an article and no attachments. So the exact opposite of what the page is now.

#8 Edited by DeF (4814 posts) -

@lordandrew: If it were possible to add concepts to a PLATFORM page instead of a GAME page, that would be ideal, I think.

#9 Edited by Hailinel (23990 posts) -

There really is no reason for this page to exist, as all it ever was was an indication that a product was officially licensed. It would be like creating a page for games that feature "Licensed by Nintendo" at some point before gameplay begins.

#10 Posted by Mento (2450 posts) -

I wanna concur with LordAndrew's suggestion. It's an important video game thing that people might want to visit a video game wiki to read up on, but it's not something that needs to be attached to several thousand pages because that doesn't help anyone at all. Wish we could do the same thing with equally ubiquitous pages like Human, Earth, Boss Fight etc.

#11 Posted by Marino (4606 posts) -

Like LordAndrew said, this page should probably have no attachments similar to the Title Screen page. There is enough historical significance to the seal that someone should write an article about it.

Staff
#12 Edited by Hailinel (23990 posts) -

@marino said:

There is enough historical significance to the seal that someone should write an article about it.

Done.

#13 Posted by Marino (4606 posts) -
Staff