Delete or Combine: Willamette Mall, Willamette, Colorado

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deusoma

There are currently separate pages for the town of Willamette, Colorado, the setting of Dead Rising, and for the Willamette Mall, where the game actually took place. There isn't enough information on these topics to justify separate pages, especially as you can never actually leave the mall and wander around Willamette itself. Delete one, combine them both into one article, I don't really care which, but we cannot leave things this way.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Doesn't the opening scene take place outside the mall? I'm not certain, but that part could count as taking place in Willamette itself.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah But I guess you could put a section about the town in the mall page, since most of the game takes place in the mall, or vice versa if you like. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal
Deusoma said:
" but we cannot leave things this way. "
Why? What about this is so terrible that it could not be left alone?

Anyway, you're technically in Willamette so it deserves it's own location page outside that of the mall. I can't see a reason why either should be removed.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By StarFoxA
Deusoma said:
"There isn't enough information on these topics to justify separate pages"
Villagers in Animal Crossing can get pages, so lack of information shouldn't be a reason to not have a page.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By iamjohn
StarFoxA said:
"Villagers in Animal Crossing can get pages, so lack of information shouldn't be a reason to not have a page."
See, I don't understand this line of thinking.  Shouldn't the goal be to have less pages with more detail than more pages with little to nothing on them?

That said, while I don't think it's necessary to have character pages for each and every character in Animal Crossing (as unless they're Tom Nook or Tortimer or someone of that importance, their personality is going to be as randomized as they are), I can see the argument for why having character pages for every neighbor, as it can change someone's view of the game.  Willamette, however, is pointless.  There's absolutely nothing additional to say about the town aside from that it is the home of Willamette Mall.  It's essentially having two pages for the same thing.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StarFoxA
iAmJohn said:
"StarFoxA said:
"Villagers in Animal Crossing can get pages, so lack of information shouldn't be a reason to not have a page."
See, I don't understand this line of thinking.  Shouldn't the goal be to have less pages with more detail than more pages with little to nothing on them?

That said, while I don't think it's necessary to have character pages for each and every character in Animal Crossing (as unless they're Tom Nook or Tortimer or someone of that importance, their personality is going to be as randomized as they are), I can see the argument for why having character pages for every neighbor, as it can change someone's view of the game.  Willamette, however, is pointless.  There's absolutely nothing additional to say about the town aside from that it is the home of Willamette Mall.  It's essentially having two pages for the same thing.
"
No, the goal is to be an extensive database for games.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn

Being extensive and not having a page for everything under the sun are not mutually exclusive.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By weltal
iAmJohn said:
"See, I don't understand this line of thinking.  Shouldn't the goal be to have less pages with more detail than more pages with little to nothing on them?

"
They aren't the same thing though, they are two different locations. The mall within Willamette and the city of Willamette. They both deserve location pages because they both exist within the Dead Rising universe.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iamjohn
Weltal said:
"They aren't the same thing though, they are two different locations. The mall within Willamette and the city of Willamette. They both deserve location pages because they both exist within the Dead Rising universe."
And yet there's absolutely no significance of Willamette, CO in Dead Rising outside of the fact that it is the home of Willamette Parkview Mall.  The only sense of a world you get in Dead Rising is the mall itself - it could be any city in any state in any country and nothing about the game would be different in any way whatsoever aside from the flyover in the prologue.  That makes it pretty non-notable if you ask me.

(I may or may not be playing Devil's Advocate)
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarFoxA
iAmJohn said:
"Being extensive and not having a page for everything under the sun are not mutually exclusive."
The purpose of the site isn't to categorize everything under single pages, but rather if something (be it a character, location, object, or concept) is represented in video game form, that means it gets a page on Giant Bomb. Just because it "isn't notable enough" doesn't mean it gets its own page, because it has been represented in a video game.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By weltal
iAmJohn said:
" And yet there's absolutely no significance of Willamette, CO in Dead Rising outside of the fact that it is the home of Willamette Parkview Mall.  The only sense of a world you get in Dead Rising is the mall itself - it could be any city in any state in any country and nothing about the game would be different in any way whatsoever aside from the flyover in the prologue.  That makes it pretty non-notable if you ask me.

(I may or may not be playing Devil's Advocate)
"
And yet the fact that it is a fictional city within this game word makes it relevant and makes it a location worthy of being added.  It doesn't matter if it has a huge history, or if it's a location that's otherwise special, it's a city that was created to play host to the Mall within it's limits. Beyond that, your right, it's nothing. But being that this is a database of all things related to video games it's a notable location.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

The rules state "In cases where one location encapsulates another, the association should be made to the more specific location. For example, Resident Evil 2 would be attached to the Raccoon City page, rather than the Earth page." So Willamette should only have a page if Dead Rising features more of Willamette than just Willamette Parkview Mall. Since I'm not too familiar with the game, I'm not sure if that is the case.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weltal
LordAndrew said:
"The rules state "In cases where one location encapsulates another, the association should be made to the more specific location. For example, Resident Evil 2 would be attached to the Raccoon City page, rather than the Earth page." So Willamette should only have a page if Dead Rising features more of Willamette than just Willamette Parkview Mall. Since I'm not too familiar with the game, I'm not sure if that is the case."
But that quote appears to be a guide relating to which locations should be attached to a game, not which locations pages should be created.
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deusoma

I agree with iAmJohn, the database doesn't have to include every single character, object, and location just because it can. Are we gonna have pages for all the different varieties of zombies from Dead Rising as well? "Bald Zombie in a Blue Hoodie"? "Ugly Old Lady Zombie"? "Female Zombie Who Lost Her Pants"?

I also have something else to add: technically it's called the Willamette Parkview Mall, not just the Willamette Mall. So at the very least, that page should be renamed.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weltal
Deusoma said:
"I agree with iAmJohn, the database doesn't have to include every single character, object, and location just because it can. Are we gonna have pages for all the different varieties of zombies from Dead Rising as well? "Bald Zombie in a Blue Hoodie"? "Ugly Old Lady Zombie"? "Female Zombie Who Lost Her Pants"?

I also have something else to add: technically it's called the Willamette Parkview Mall, not just the Willamette Mall. So at the very least, that page should be renamed. "
The difference being a zombie is a zombie unless otherwise noted or named. It's not a character but a concept. Whereas a location like Willamette is named and noted in the game. It's a nice little piece of trivia, if nothing else. And I can't understand why it's should be removed? It's very much a location and it's not as if it's hurting anything. I feel like we should try and get as much random trivial information into the database as possible. It's what makes this place so great.

As to your second point, sure, specificity is great and the full name of the mall should probably be added.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Endogene

I'm fine with this really, it's a location from the game so it should be added to the database.

The name of the mall should indeed be renamed, could a mod who does not have a broken PC do take care of that?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
Weltal said:
"But that quote appears to be a guide relating to which locations should be attached to a game, not which locations pages should be created."
Then we'd have a location page that doesn't actually have any games attached. Unless there's something notable about Willamette that you could write an article about, I don't see a need for such a page.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By weltal
LordAndrew said:
"Then we'd have a location page that doesn't actually have any games attached. Unless there's something notable about Willamette that you could write an article about, I don't see a need for such a page."
And I don't see why a location needs to be extensive in it's information to be a valid article. What's the minimum then? Apparently Viridian City is fine, with it's one sentence. And what about Alderney? One sentence again and yet people aren't worried about it. Since the major location of GTA 4 is Liberty City, Alderney shouldn't exist?

We're supposed to be making a large database on everything related to games, why is a fictional location considered getting too trivial? We have a character page for Father Grigori, right? Yet he's not the main character, he's not even a secondary character. We see him once and then he's gone. Does that mean he needs to be removed? He's also sporting a lovely one sentence article.

Notable point of Willamette? It's mall. That's all that it needs to contain because that's all it's got that's worth seeing. I mean, City 17 is just a setup for your exploits in running through train yards and warehouses and the citadel. Clearly they are the more important locations, why do we need City 17 as a page when we barely see anything of it? A few key locations. Much like seeing the key location of Willamette, it's mall.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

Those are fine because parts of the game actually take place there. GTA IV takes place in Liberty City and can also go to Alderney. Virdian City is one of many locations that you can visit in the Pokémon games.

Besides the mall, what other areas of Willamette are there that actually appear in the game. From what I've seen, it's just the mall and a short period of time outside the mall. Does that bit outside the mall count as Willamette? Because if not, then Willamette does not deserve a page. As you said, there isn't even anything in Willamette besides the mall.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By whyzenheimer

I'm staying the hell out of this, but you do spend the beginning of the game flying in a helicopter over Willamette, and this part is interactive (barely).  You see some citizens and buildings outside of the mall area, therefore time is spent in the actual city outside of the mall.

Really don't care either way, I was just bored and saw this topic.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By weltal
LordAndrew said:
"Those are fine because parts of the game actually take place there. GTA IV takes place in Liberty City and can also go to Alderney. Virdian City is one of many locations that you can visit in the Pokémon games. Besides the mall, what other areas of Willamette are there that actually appear in the game. From what I've seen, it's just the mall and a short period of time outside the mall. Does that bit outside the mall count as Willamette? Because if not, then Willamette does not deserve a page. As you said, there isn't even anything in Willamette besides the mall."
You're in Willamette though, that's my point. The entire game you are in the city of Willamette in the mall that is located within the city limits, which yes, you do technically fly over when you enter the game. In any case I've more than spoken my piece and I think I'm going to exit out of this discussion. I'm interested to see if this ever gets a decision...
Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordAndrew
Weltal said:
"You're in Willamette though, that's my point. The entire game you are in the city of Willamette in the mall that is located within the city limits, which yes, you do technically fly over when you enter the game. In any case I've more than spoken my piece and I think I'm going to exit out of this discussion. I'm interested to see if this ever gets a decision..."
That first part is irrelevant as per the rules I pointed out earlier. The only reason it should get a page is because you fly over Willamette at the beginning of the game. The mall being in Willamette does not qualify Willamette for a page because Willamette Parkview Mall is the more specific location. A small part of the game taking place outside the mall might qualify Willamette for a page.