#1 Posted by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

As far as I can tell, Otomate is a release label, not a company, and should be deleted. All the games under the label are published and copyrighted by Idea Factory, and seem to be either developed by IF or by identifiable development studios. Otomate also does not have its own company information page like Japanese companies seem required to.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -
#3 Edited by Winternet (8035 posts) -

Oh, but Otomate sounds so awesome. I mean, just say it out load. O-to-ma-te. Don't delete it.

#4 Edited by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@hailinel: Count for what? Yes, they have a website for their label. But as far as I can tell it doesn't have a company information page that lists their address, number of employees, founding date, executives, capital, etc. All Japanese companies seem to have these on their websites, including Idea Factory and Design Factory. Oh, and, Idea Factory lists Design Factory and Compile Heart as affiliated companies on their company page (well, the English page lists the two as subsidiaries instead of affiliated, but that seems to a mistranslation,) but not Otomate.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@blacklagoon: Seem to have, you say. You don't actually know whether such is required or not. Not great justification for page deletion.

#6 Posted by Marino (4749 posts) -

Seems like a Data East - Konami thing type thing to me, which we have pages for both, so I don't see a problem with it the way it is.

Staff
#7 Posted by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@marino: If that's your decision I will of course abide by it. Though I still think it's just a label, it doesn't a have any clear publishing or development credits. Actually, thinking about it, it makes more sense to turn it into a franchise page like D3's Simple series.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@marino: If that's your decision I will of course abide by it. Though I still think it's just a label, it doesn't a have any clear publishing or development credits. Actually, thinking about it, it makes more sense to turn it into a franchise page like D3's Simple series.

That's not how franchises work. And even if what you say about Otomate is true, it would be no different than Ultra Games is to Konami.

#9 Edited by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@hailinel: No, because Ultra Games titles were published by Ultra Games. Otomate games are published by Idea Factory, the same way Simple series games are published by D3.

#10 Edited by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@hailinel: No, because Ultra Games titles were published by Ultra Games. Otomate games are published by Idea Factory.

I shouldn't need to tell you that Ultra Games was just a Konami label.

#11 Edited by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@hailinel: No, it was a trademark of Ultra Software Corporation. Now while USC was a puppet subsidiary of Konami of America, it was a registered corporation, owned it's own brand, had it's own marketing campaigns, and had it's own publishing presence separate from KoA. It's a pretty different situation.

#12 Edited by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

@hailinel: No, it was a trademark of Ultra Software Corporation. Now while USC was a puppet subsidiary of Konami of America, it was a registered corporation, owned it's own brand, had it's own marketing campaigns, and had it's own publishing presence separate from KoA. It's a pretty different situation.

OK, Konami shell corporation. :P

In any case, that still doesn't prove your point. And it still doesn't qualify Otomate as a franchise.

#13 Posted by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@hailinel: Sigh. Please explain to me then why Simple is a franchise, while Otomate is not. Why Idea Factory's Otomate is more than just a marketing brand like D3 Publisher's Simple, imageepoch's JRPG, SCEE's Classics HD, or Microsoft's Better with Kinect?