roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By roushimsx
@StarFoxA:

While I believe that the entry should stay regardless of being cross platform and Java-based, that entry is a fucking abortion and a half. Normally I have fun editing through a page and driving it closer to a neutral point of view, but that piece of shit would take more work and effort than I'd ever be willing to put into a page for a game that I didn't enjoy.

Jesus christ. Kill it with fire.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

"Quests for Members
Too many to list lol."

Enough said.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA
PureRok said:
"Quests for MembersToo many to list lol."Enough said.
Not to mention the fact that it says Runescape is "awesome."
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Gunner

that isnt even the real runescape classic.. runescape classic is 2d...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense to the dude, but check out the top contributor's other pages. Someone should get in on those and edit. I almost wanna edit this page, but if it gets deleted, why bother?

And no, that isn't even Runescape Classic that's been written about! Man!

I would say there's room for Java games, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I edited the shit out if it. It is now relatively presentable. And I got a whole point for it, even! If Java games are still not allowed, take it down anyway :o)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If I remember correctly, there used to be a download version of runescape back in the day. It was essentially just a browser that pointed to runescape and couldn't visit other pages, but they promoed it as a download aplication for it. So technically, this could deserve a page. Although the update was mainly graphical, and since as far as I'm aware the modern Runescape does not have a download version, it'd be kinda stupid to have a RuneScape Classic page, but no main RuneScape page. So this should probably be merged into RuneScape. Either that, or both get deleted if you don't consider the download thingy a proper download.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By bwooduhs
StarFoxA said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/runescape-classic/61-23411/Not only was it browser-based (which brings up the topic whether or not the other RuneScape page should be kept), ... [more]
I don't see why it shouldn't be kept? It's a game isn't it. Why does it being browser based matter?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@bwooduhs: Because:

Jeff said:
"Yeah, we currently don't want browser-based games on the site. This may change down the line, but you're exactly right in that we have to draw the line somewhere and at the moment there doesn't seem to be enough interest in this category to warrant giving them their own section. Additionally, our games/releases taxonomy is currently setup to primarily handle commercial products.

I think the other key thing is that we'd never want to have every Flash game on the site. The barrier to entry is so low there that it would just lead to us having a ton of bedroom developers cluttering up the site with links to the games they've made. Until there can be a meaningful distinction between quality Flash-based products and "DUDE CHECK IT OUT I MADE ASTEROIDS EXCEPT WITH BUTTS INSTEAD OF ROCKS," we'd be biting off more than we could chew with that stuff.

We also don't want any BBS door games or standard cell phone games, for the record.
"

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike
bwooduhs said:
StarFoxA said: http://www.giantbomb.com/runescape-classic/61-23411/Not only was it browser-based (which brings up the topic whether or not the other RuneScape page should ... [more]
Browser-based games are currently not allowed. There has been some behind the scenes discussion about this policy, but for now, that's the rule.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Karmum
MattyFTM said:
@bwooduhs: Because:Jeff said: "Yeah, we currently don't want browser-based games on the site. This may change down the line, but ... [more]
Aren't both Quake Live and Battlefield Heroes both browser-based, as well?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Karmum: BF: Heroes, while technically you have to launch it from a browser, it launches a separate executable on your computer. It's just the logging in that must be done on the website, and then you click the "play now" button, and it launches an exe file that it has installed on your computer. So it's not browser based

Quake Live is a funny one. It is run from the browser, but you do have to download an installer file to play it. So technically it could be considered a download game too. Although it still runs through the browser, so it probably should be deleted. We'd have to get staffer confirmation though.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Karmum
@MattyFTM: I figured Battlefield Heroes was a little more complex than Runescape, when it comes to installations and such.  Just wanted to point those two out.
joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#15  Edited By joey

And Runescape just sucks.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Not_Rage

They're two seperate games. When they made the change from Classic-->Runescape, they split the accounts. So anything your character does in Classic does not affect the new Runescape. And Classic is still going.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Jayge_

Runescape technically creates its own cache files and shit, in case anyone was wondering or cared.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By BoG
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StarFoxA
@Jayge: But that really isn't the same thing as actually having to download the game. So I think that still means it just be defined as "browser based."

Not_Rage said:
They're two seperate games. When they made the change from Classic-->Runescape, they split the accounts. So anything your character does ... [more]
That doesn't matter, it's still browser based.

harddrive1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By harddrive1

i want to play runescape claissic but i get so anyoed i have to play runescape 3 now that suck i loved runescape classic w00p for runescape classic

No Caption Provided

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StarFoxA
@harddrive1: Um... that's great? But really has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By mikemcn

Its significant enough of a game that it deserves a page, it has a devoted community, that is large and you PAY for it, so its not a flash game, obviously you can play for free but you can do the same with a demo for any other game so don't argue that point

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StarFoxA
@Mikemcn said:
" Its significant enough of a game that it deserves a page, it has a devoted community, that is large and you PAY for it, so its not a flash game, obviously you can play for free but you can do the same with a demo for any other game so don't argue that point "
All those points are pretty much invalid, since it is a browser based game. Browser based games don't get their own pages on Giant Bomb.

But Jayge did bring up the point that it makes its own cache files, so we should probably get some staff confirmation on this one.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Not_Rage
When they said no browser games allowed, dosn't that mean amateur-made flash games? Not games like Habbo Hotel, Quake Live, and RS that are commercial. 

There is a download for Runescape, its like 1MB or something. 
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By iamjohn
@Not_Rage said:
"
When they said no browser games allowed, dosn't that mean amateur-made flash games? Not games like Habbo Hotel, Quake Live, and RS that are comercial. 

"
It's not our place to decide what qualifies as an acceptable exception to the rule, and the rule is "no browser games, period."  If there is a download, though, that does raise the question of what does Runescape is classified as.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StarFoxA
@Not_Rage said:
"
When they said no browser games allowed, dosn't that mean amateur-made flash games? Not games like Habbo Hotel, Quake Live, and RS that are commercial. 

"
I thought Quake Live required you to download a 10MB plug-in as well? It's those games that may be an exception to the "no browser based games" rule.

I'm not sure about Habbo Hotel and Runescape though. What exactly is that 1MB file?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#27  Edited By LordAndrew

I still have plans to compile a list of browser-based games some time in the future, and I'll try to look into these downloads as well.