Delete: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA

I guess this could be debated, butt these are technically the same game, just two different versions.

http://www.giantbomb.com/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-double-agent/61-457/
http://www.giantbomb.com/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-double-agent/61-26009/ - if deleted, it should be this one

So is the difference enough to warrant two articles? To argue in favor of deletion, I"ll say that in many cases the handheld version of a game is incredibly different from the console iterations, but that doesn't mean it needs to have a separate articles.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I heard the original Xbox version was totally different, which is probably way it has it's own page.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StarFoxA
natetodamax said:
"I heard the original Xbox version was totally different, which is probably way it has it's own page."
Yes, that's true, but does that mean it deserves its own page?
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JJOR64

It should be renamed Xbox Edition or something like that.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By iamjohn
StarFoxA said:
"natetodamax said:
"I heard the original Xbox version was totally different, which is probably way it has it's own page."
Yes, that's true, but does that mean it deserves its own page?"
Why not?  We're not talking about minute differences here.  These are two games that, despite similar storylines, have different mechanics, level layouts, missions, etc.  If that's not justification for a separate page, I'm not sure what is?

But what do I know - I've been arguing that Rayman 3 for GBA deserves a separate page!
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StarFoxA
JJOR64 said:
"It should be renamed Xbox Edition or something like that."
No, that would be a bad idea. If it does have its own page, it needs to keep the name that it was given.

iAmJohn said:
"Why not?  We're not talking about minute differences here.  These are two games that, despite similar storylines, have different mechanics, level layouts, missions, etc.  If that's not justification for a separate page, I'm not sure what is?

But what do I know - I've been arguing that Rayman 3 for GBA deserves a separate page!"
I see your point (after all, games like Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Master System have different pages).
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJOR64
StarFoxA said:
"JJOR64 said:
"It should be renamed Xbox Edition or something like that."
No, that would be a bad idea. If it does have its own page, it needs to keep the name that it was given.
I guess that's true.
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By roushimsx

The games are different games. They have roughly the same story with differing outcomes, completely different levels, are made by different companies, are on different platforms, etc etc. Even the shortest amount of time spent with google would have told you that.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Alexander

The Xbox version also has a coop campaign that the 360 version does not. The versus modes are also very different. Both should exist with the same name as for each page it is specific as to what platform it is on.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarFoxA
roushimsx said:
"The games are different games. They have roughly the same story with differing outcomes, completely different levels, are made by different companies, are on different platforms, etc etc. Even the shortest amount of time spent with google would have told you that."
I was just curious if these were considered "big enough" differences.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Karmum
natetodamax said:
GRAW on the Xbox 360 was vastly different from the other versions, apparently. So why doesn't the 360 version have its own page?
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By roushimsx
Karmum said:
"GRAW on the Xbox 360 was vastly different from the other versions, apparently. So why doesn't the 360 version have its own page?"
Because no one knowledgeable enough on the topic has bothered to create the pages for the various different iterations of GRAW and then attempt to defend them against deletion from people completely ignorant on the pages that they're nominating. I mean, why bother adding to a database if it's all just going to get nominated for merger or deletion anyway?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Endogene
This "duplicate" page is fine, it even are different developers who made these two games.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
roushimsx said:
"Karmum said:
"GRAW on the Xbox 360 was vastly different from the other versions, apparently. So why doesn't the 360 version have its own page?"
Because no one knowledgeable enough on the topic has bothered to create the pages for the various different iterations of GRAW and then attempt to defend them against deletion from people completely ignorant on the pages that they're nominating. I mean, why bother adding to a database if it's all just going to get nominated for merger or deletion anyway?"
That's what the debate is for. Just because something's nominated for deletion doesn't mean it's going to happen.
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By roushimsx
LordAndrew said:
"That's what the debate is for. Just because something's nominated for deletion doesn't mean it's going to happen."
Except for the default action being to delete/merge rather than keep, so why bother submitting anything when you know that you're just going to have to defend it later against idiots that can't use google?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

StarfoxA acknowledged that it's different game. It has nothing to do with being able to use Google. If you have reasons to keep it, you should present your argument without attacking the user who nominated it for deletion.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StarFoxA

I think that multiple releases of a single game on various platforms needs to be addressed. In many cases, the different iterations are largely different (such as console to handheld releases). Personally, I think that these differences could be addressed in a single wiki page to help reduce clutter, and rely more on the releases function than separate wiki pages.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roushimsx
StarFoxA said:
"I think that multiple releases of a single game on various platforms needs to be addressed. In many cases, the different iterations are largely different (such as console to handheld releases). Personally, I think that these differences could be addressed in a single wiki page to help reduce clutter, and rely more on the releases function than separate wiki pages."
Why would you put different games on the same page? Just because they share the same name? They're almost entirely different games. If you want to reduce clutter, why don't you actually try filling out data on the pages instead of trying to have them deleted?

Here, let's have some fun. I'll pick a random game and you can spend some time learning about it and filling out the content of the entry so that it's not just some ugly empty page cluttering up the database with its uselessness:

ChoroQ

Feel free to determine on your own if it should be merged with Choro Q or if the PS1 game Choro Q should be added as an alternate release.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StarFoxA
roushimsx said:
"StarFoxA said:
"I think that multiple releases of a single game on various platforms needs to be addressed. In many cases, the different iterations are largely different (such as console to handheld releases). Personally, I think that these differences could be addressed in a single wiki page to help reduce clutter, and rely more on the releases function than separate wiki pages."
Why would you put different games on the same page? Just because they share the same name? They're almost entirely different games. If you want to reduce clutter, why don't you actually try filling out data on the pages instead of trying to have them deleted?

Here, let's have some fun. I'll pick a random game and you can spend some time learning about it and filling out the content of the entry so that it's not just some ugly empty page cluttering up the database with its uselessness:

ChoroQFeel free to determine on your own if it should be merged with Choro Q or if the PS1 game Choro Q should be added as an alternate release."
First of all, I was just bringing up a point. No need to get so worked up about it. The thing is, it would really depend on game to game (things like Ninja Gaiden on the arcade, for example, need their own articles). This Double Agent game could probably keep two articles as well, but again, I don't know enough about it to know (and I really don't want to invest the time to learn about every single game I come across). I spend a ton of time browsing the wiki, looking for pages to fill out (I even keep a list of pages that I would like to fill out at some point), so don't get me started about filling pages with content. So, when I see something like Double Agent, or any of the other games I've posted in this particular board, I really don't want to invest the time to learn about whether or not it has extra levels or anything.

Also, you said there's a Choro Q game for PS1, but the only other Choro Q game I can find in the database is one for the MSX. :)
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJOR64

Ok, after all this chatter I say keep it but, make it detailed and explain why this version is different from the others.