EA Sports UFC page is copied from its website

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I ended up here after seeing that some new screens got released or something and started to read the wiki page. It read a lot like a press release, so, I googled. It's straight from the EA UFC website that I would link to if I wasn't on mobile. Google or maybe even Bing EA Sports UFC and you'll get there. Then, scroll down and click on one of the boxes that reads DISCOVER MORE UFC FEATURES (!!!) and that's the page from where the text was taken. I'm not some wiki aficionado, but my understanding is that this is not kosher.

Mod Edit: This post references EA Sports UFC page. Moved to Delete/Combine forum to bring it to the attention of more wiki-oriented mods.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

I would suggest looking up who has the lion's share of the wiki points on this page and look for a trend that suggests more UFC/EA Sports games in the Giant Bomb wiki may have had the same copy and paste plagiarising treatment. This may be the tip of the iceberg or it might be laziness limited to this one page.

(It is indeed not kosher.)

troma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By troma

It was taken from the official press release. google "EA UFC press release". it was a press release released through EA's official xml feed and, in my understanding, was meant to be used (and was) by multiple sources around the web for redistribution. That being said, after i took notice of this thread, i modified the text to be best of my abilities to avoid any more controversies.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

narc

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@troma said:

It was taken from the official press release. google "EA UFC press release". It's not like i went and stole copyrighted material from the page, it was a press release released through EA's official xml feed and, in my understanding, was meant and used by multiple sources around the web for redistribution. That being said i, after i took notice of this thread, i modified the text to be best of my abilities to avoid any more controversies.

What We Deny:

• Plagiarism: The big, obvious one, Giant Bomb is a unique database of video game knowledge: Copy/pasting a massive article from another source is only hurting you, the user. Please be aware that this includes content copied from official sources, such as game manuals and press releases.
troma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I don't know if it would qualify as a massive article, but i'm not into semantics i went and modified it...will not post anymore.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

@troma said:

@starvinggamer: I don't know if it would qualify as a massive article, but i'm not into semantics i went and modified it...will not post anymore.

Size doesn't matter. Plagiarism is plagiarism. There are no semantics to be argued.

troma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By troma

@starvinggamer:

What We Deny:

• Plagiarism: The big, obvious one, Giant Bomb is a unique database of video game knowledge: Copy/pasting a

massive

article from another source is only hurting you, the user. Please be aware that this includes content copied from official sources, such as game manuals and press releases.

if there's no difference why specify the size.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

OMG!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StarvingGamer

@troma said:

@starvinggamer:

What We Deny:

• Plagiarism: The big, obvious one, Giant Bomb is a unique database of video game knowledge: Copy/pasting a

massive

article from another source is only hurting you, the user. Please be aware that this includes content copied from official sources, such as game manuals and press releases.

if there's no difference why specify the size.

It's an example. If a warning reads:

What Is Illegal:

• Speeding: The big, obvious one. Driving 85 in a 65 zone is only going to get you a ticket.

Is the takeaway that 20 miles over the limit is illegal, or that "Speeding" is illegal?

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By theveej

SPORTS is capitalized in EA SPORTS........ just saying

Please don't hate me :|

NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator

If you ever find any plagiarism in the wiki, we ask that you please contact the moderators directly so that we can investigate.

Also edited the wiki rules for further clarity of our position on plagiarism.