King's Quest 1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

noibn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By noibn

There are currently two game pages for King's Quest 1:

Entry #1. King's Quest
Entry #2. King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown

The first one is the correct title and page for the first game in the "King's Quest" series. No problems here.

The second one is actually a page for an unofficial VGA remake that was released in 2001. As far as I know, the company that made the remake was licensed to do so.What needs to be done depends on GiantBomb's stance on unofficial/fan-made games...

If it is OK to leave the remake page on the site, then the title of that page/game needs to be changed (it is currently incorrect). The title of the King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown page needs to be updated to "King's Quest 1 VGA" (which was it's official title). The page's image and box art also needs to be deleted. And if it is not OK to keep this page on the site, then obviously just delete the whole entry.

Incidentally, "King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown" is actually the title of a particular release of the original game, and I have added it as such under the release section of "King's Quest".

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything isn't clear. Thanks!

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By breton

Shouldn't it just be added under releases? If it was a licensed remake, there's no reason to remove it from the database. And I'll assume the differences between the two versions aren't enough to warrant separate pages, and should just be covered on the original game's article. Yes?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

The VGA release (which is just that, a release) came out in 1990. The 2001 remake was based on the VGA release (but is itself probably not VGA) and as far as I can tell, not official. It would also be considered a release. And they probably both deserve a mention in the article too.

noibn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By noibn

LordAndrew, the 1990 release was not VGA. It was still 16-color, but was remade using the SCI engine, which supported higher resolution than the AGI original from 1984/1987. The only VGA version of KQ1 (as far as I know) is the unofficial remake from 2001.

As for the rest, I think adding it as a release is a good idea and I am fine with that. In which case, the remake game page just needs to be deleted. I can then take care of adding the remake as a release on the main KQ1 page.

Thanks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Ah, I see. The 1990 release was EGA, although VGA did exist at the time.
Indeed the 2001 remake is VGA which seems like an odd thing to do in 2001.  But it was their decision, so who am I to argue with them? :)

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Daniel

So, let me get this straight. This page should be deleted, right?

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By breton

Yes.

noibn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers