MERGE: Character Customization/Character Creation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

1. MERGE: Character Customization/Character Creation

I think it's kind of redundant to have a page for Character Creation and Customizable Characters. I think it would be more appropriate if one was an alias for the other. They seriously cover pretty much the same concept.

Any objections?

2. Customization concept page is too vague

Also, while we're on the topic of customization, I feel like the Customization page could benefit from a more descriptive title. A page called "Customization" feels way too vague - it could cover anything from changing weapons loadouts to customizable title screens, and yet the deck reads as follows:

"Customization in games that allow users to change various parts of their equipment or moves to fit their gaming style."

Judging by that introduction, there are probably a lot of games affiliated with that page that don't belong there. The question is whether we change the deck to accommodate the title, or the title is changed to accommodate the deck.

Thoughts?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I would argue they are different. The example comes to mind is Dragon Age: Origins is a Character Creation, where it's sequel Dragon Age 2 is a character customization.

• DA:O you decide on everything about said character, looks, outfit, sex, age, class, skills, etc. You created him/her how you wanted.
  • DA2 you have a shell, male and female version, that you decide class, skill, and armor...and unless I'm forgetting something that is all I remember.

Customization is definitely a "sub" category of Creation, but I feel they are different enough to be separated. Character customization page could use some work but if both pages are kept I would also think that only a game could exist in one category and not the other. If a game always you to Create your character, customization is a given and thus the game doesn't need to be included in that category.

Just my thoughts that came to mind

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I feel like this question has come up before. Still, character customization and character creation aren't necessarily the same thing. A created character can be customized, but not all customized characters are player-created.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@hailinel said:

I feel like this question has come up before. Still, character customization and character creation aren't necessarily the same thing. A created character can be customized, but not all customized characters are player-created.

Dragon age. And Dragon age 2 are perfect examples of this.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

Those two things are totally different. If someone told me that their game had character creation, then I bought the game and it turned out I could just change the main dudes pants, then I would be pretty pissed off.

Edit: Though I would say that having an oblivion character as the picture for character customization doesn't make sense. That's creation, not customization.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yep as mentioned before two entirely different things. Character customization could be considered something as simple as a character with a different costume or palette swap. Creation is making a character entirely from scratch.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#8 Marino  Staff

They're different.