This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MB (12055 posts) -

Aliases allow users to find games under different names or acronyms that they are commonly referred to as. 

For example, Star Wars: The Old Republic has the following aliases:

SWOR
SWTOR
KOTOR MMO
Star Wars MMO

You can see for yourself how an alias works by typing one of the above nicknames for The Old Republic in the search window in the upper right corner of your screen.  Try putting in Star Wars MMO...as you can see, it immediately finds the correct game. 

Since aliases affect Giant Bomb's search engine a great deal, please only request to add or remove an Alias if it is critical for the page you're suggesting it for.  Aliases need to be used sparingly so the search engine doesn't get completely filled with bad results - this is why Alias is and will remain a staff-only field.  I'll use The Old Republic again as a good example.  Since this title is new, many people may not know it's called The Old Republic, but they may know that there is a Star Wars MMO in the works and in this case, the alias is a success and guides them to the correct place.

When requesting a change to an Alias, please provide the name of the game, a link to the Wiki page, the alias change you wish to make, and a brief reason you think the change should be made.  Your request will be reviewed as soon as possible and if the changes seem justifiable, it'll be done.

Moderator
#2 Edited by Marino (4600 posts) -
Vivendi Games 
 
Please include aliases of Vivendi Universal Games and VU Games.  Both of these monikers were used earlier in the 2000's.
 
Mod Note - Done. -MB
Staff
#3 Edited by Hailinel (23948 posts) -
Hokuto Musou should have the alias Fist of the North Star.  It's supposedly not the game's final English title (yet), but Koei's European offices referred to the game as such when they announced the European release.
 
Mod Note - Done. -MB
#4 Edited by Marino (4600 posts) -

  Namco Bandai Games Inc. 

Since it appears this page is a consolidation of all things Namco (before and after the merger with Bandai), it should also have an alias for Namco Hometek and Namco Limited. 
 
Mod Note - Done. MB

Staff
#5 Edited by Jacob816 (136 posts) -
General Knoxx
 
His alias should be General Knoxx, and his real name should be Alphonso Knoxx.
 
 Mod Note - I added Alphonso Knoxx as the alias, because this character is most commonly referred to as General, not Alphonso. Searching for either one will now return the appropriate page, thanks for the suggestion! - MB
#6 Posted by Spacetrucking (942 posts) -
Sovereign. Add Nazara as an alias or real name. I'm leaving a request here because I'm not definite if it should be under real name or alias. Either works fine so I leave the judgement up to you. (Alias would be my preference if you need to know).
 
While you're at it - Mass Effect 3. Add ME3 as an alias, if it isn't too early for that game. Thanks.
#7 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2483 posts) -
Metal Slug. Add "Metal Slug 3D" as an alias please...

µTanks. add "Utanks" and "Microtanks" as aliases as well, thanks ^_^
#8 Edited by Marino (4600 posts) -
Staff
#9 Edited by Marino (4600 posts) -
Staff
#10 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -
Shi-Long Lang
 
In the game, he is often referred to as: "Agent Lang". 
 
And I don't know if you can make aliases for alternate names in different localizations, but his name in the Japanese version is: "Shiryuu Rou"
#11 Posted by Spacetrucking (942 posts) -
#12 Posted by Marino (4600 posts) -
Staff
#13 Edited by Marino (4600 posts) -
Bungie Studios 
Add "Bungie Software" as an alias please. 
 
Turbine, Inc. 
 Add "Turbine Entertainment Software" , "Second Nature" , and "Cyberspace, Inc." as aliases please. 
 
Bend Game Studio 
Add "Eidetic, Inc." as an alias please.    
Staff
#14 Posted by Jacob816 (136 posts) -
Silent Hunter V: Battle of the Atlantic 
Add alias "SH5" please. Ubisoft keeps on appreciating the game that on Twitter, and it literally took me a week to figure out what they were talking about. Others shall not suffer as I did!
#15 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
989 Studios - Sony Imagesoft (Sony Imagesoft became 989 Studios)
#16 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -
#17 Posted by JohnTheGamer (341 posts) -
@Unknown_Pleasures: 989 Studios already has that alias. 
 
Freestyle Street Soccer - add the alias Urban Freestyle Soccer, it's PAL release title.
#18 Edited by Jacob816 (136 posts) -
Batman 
Please add the following aliases:
The Dark Knight
The Caped Crusader
The Goddamn Batman
Matches Malone
Sir Hemingford Grey
 
Also, please add the alias "Module" to  Jeramiah Ross
#19 Edited by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -
#20 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
@JohnTheGamer: I think a mod added it without commenting...either that or I stupidly missed it,
#21 Posted by Forcen (1806 posts) -
#22 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -
#23 Edited by MB (12055 posts) -
@Killjoi said:

" Sovereign. Add Nazara as an alias or real name. I'm leaving a request here because I'm not definite if it should be under real name or alias. Either works fine so I leave the judgement up to you. (Alias would be my preference if you need to know).
 
While you're at it - Mass Effect 3. Add ME3 as an alias, if it isn't too early for that game. Thanks. "

@Vigorousjammer said:

" Metal Slug. Add "Metal Slug 3D" as an alias please...

µTanks. add "Utanks" and "Microtanks" as aliases as well, thanks ^_^ "

@Marino said:

" Konami Computer Entertainment Hawaii, Inc.     
Add "Konami HWI" , "KCEH"  and  "KCE Hawaii" as aliases please. 
 
Konami Computer Entertainment Kobe, Inc.     
Add "KCEK" and "KCE Kobe" as aliases please. 
 
Konami Computer Entertainment Nagoya Co., Ltd.     
Add "KCE Nagoya" and "KCEN" as aliases please. 
 
Konami Digital Entertainment Limited     Add "Konami Hong Kong" as an alias please. "

@Marino said:

" Hudson Entertainment, Inc. 
Add "Hudson Soft" as an alias please. 
 
CCP Games Add "Crowd Control Productions" to the alias please. "

@Killjoi said:

" Danielle Berry 
 
Alias: Dani Bunten (Source:  http://www.interactive.org/hall_of_fame/details.asp?idHallOfFame=12) "

@Marino said:

" Bungie Studios 
Add "Bungie Software" as an alias please. 
 
Turbine, Inc. 
 Add "Turbine Entertainment Software" , "Second Nature" , and "Cyberspace, Inc." as aliases please. 
 
Bend Game Studio Add "Eidetic, Inc." as an alias please.     "

@Jacob816 said:

" Silent Hunter V: Battle of the Atlantic  Add alias "SH5" please. Ubisoft keeps on appreciating the game that on Twitter, and it literally took me a week to figure out what they were talking about. Others shall not suffer as I did! "

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

" 989 Studios - Sony Imagesoft (Sony Imagesoft became 989 Studios) "

@JohnTheGamer said:

" @Unknown_Pleasures: 989 Studios already has that alias. 
 
Freestyle Street Soccer - add the alias Urban Freestyle Soccer, it's PAL release title. "


@Jacob816 said:

" Batman 
Please add the following aliases:
The Dark Knight
The Caped Crusader
The Goddamn Batman
Matches Malone
Sir Hemingford Grey
 
Also, please add the alias "Module" to  Jeramiah Ross "


Skipped "The Goddamn Batman"
@TMThomsen said:

" Farming Simulator 2009 -> Landwirtschafts Simulator 2009 
Farming Simulator 2008 -> Landwirtschafts Simulator 2008
Crane Simulator 2009 - > Kran Simulator 2009
Forklift Truck Simulator 2009 - Gabelstapler Simulator 2009 The original German names. "

 @Forcen said:

" Deus Ex: Human Revolution
 
Add alias Deus Ex 3 "

 
These have all been done. All requests should be caught up now.
Moderator
#24 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -

Fairly straightforward one, the page for the original Resident Evil has "REmake" listed as an alias, but that is a name that is used to refer to the GameCube remake of Resident Evil.
 
This is especially annoying because just searching for "Resident Evil" brings up every game in the series, and the Gamecube remake is not one of the listings on the drop-down, so you have to go to the franchise page to get to it.  
 
Please move the "REmake" alias from the Playstation original to the Gamecube game.

#25 Posted by BuggeX (74 posts) -
#26 Posted by HawkSE (216 posts) -

F.3.A.R.  
- Also: F.E.A.R. 3

#27 Posted by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -
@Deusoma said:
" Fairly straightforward one, the page for the original Resident Evil has "REmake" listed as an alias, but that is a name that is used to refer to the GameCube remake of Resident Evil.  This is especially annoying because just searching for "Resident Evil" brings up every game in the series, and the Gamecube remake is not one of the listings on the drop-down, so you have to go to the franchise page to get to it.    Please move the "REmake" alias from the Playstation original to the Gamecube game. "
@BuggeX said:
" F1 Career Challenge has another name for the PC version "F1 Challenge '99- '02" "
@HawkxSx said:
" F.3.A.R.  - Also: F.E.A.R. 3 "
Done done and done. Although HawkxSx - please link to the page in future. It makes our job much easier.
Moderator
#28 Posted by Banzai_NL (264 posts) -
#29 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -
Bonk - add the aliases PC Genjin and BC Kid
Bonk's Adventure - add the aliases PC Genjin, FC Genjin (Famicom version), and GB Genjin (Game Boy version); you can remove the GB Kid, FC Kid, and PC Kid aliases
Bonk's Revenge - add the alias GB Genjin 2 (Game Boy version)
Chou Genjin 2 - add the alias Super Bonk 2
#30 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
@Banzaiaap said:
" http://www.giantbomb.com/the-settlers-fourth-edition/61-6946/   Needs the Alias: The Settlers IV (That's what it's called in the EU)  "
@StarFoxA said:
" Bonk - add the aliases PC Genjin and BC Kid
Bonk's Adventure - add the aliases PC Genjin, FC Genjin (Famicom version), and GB Genjin (Game Boy version); you can remove the GB Kid, FC Kid, and PC Kid aliases
Bonk's Revenge - add the alias GB Genjin 2 (Game Boy version)
Chou Genjin 2 - add the alias Super Bonk 2 "
Done and Done.
Moderator
#31 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -
#32 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
@JustTheDoctor said:
" Garrus Vakarian - Needs the alias Archangel added. "
Done.
Moderator
#33 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -
@mracoon: Thanks!
#34 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
Jawbreakers 
 
Also called "Gobstoppers" in the UK and Ireland so please and add the alias for that. 
 
Man, of all the things I had to put up there...
#35 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" Jawbreakers  Also called "Gobstoppers" in the UK and Ireland so please and add the alias for that.  Man, of all the things I had to put up there... "
Done.
Moderator
#36 Edited by Flaime (525 posts) -

I would like two aliases on the FlaK 88 page changed.
 

  • PaK 88 > PaK 43
  • KwK 88 > KwK 43
 
The 88 describes the calibre, which is already in the FlaK 88 name. The PaK and KwK is variants of the 88mm FlaK. 43 is their version number.
#37 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
@Flaime said:
" I would like two aliases on the FlaK 88 page changed.
 
  • PaK 88 > PaK 43
  • KwK 88 > KwK 43
 The 88 describes the calibre, which is already in the FlaK 88 name. The PaK and KwK is variants of the 88mm FlaK. 43 is their version number. "
Done.
Moderator
#38 Posted by Hailinel (23948 posts) -
Fujin  > Fuu
 
Raijin > Rai
 
Both aliases are the names that the characters are referred by in Kingdom Hearts II.
#39 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" Fujin  > Fuu
 
Raijin > Rai  Both aliases are the names that the characters are referred by in Kingdom Hearts II. "
done!
#40 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
Arc The Lad: End of Darkness is also known as "Arc The Lad: Generation アークザラッド ジェネレーション" in Japan. Can someone please add the alias for that? I'm not sure if the Japanese and English are together but it might be a better idea to add them as two seperate aliases. Cheers.
#41 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" Arc The Lad: End of Darkness is also known as "Arc The Lad: Generation アークザラッド ジェネレーション" in Japan. Can someone please add the alias for that? I'm not sure if the Japanese and English are together but it might be a better idea to add them as two seperate aliases. Cheers. "
Done.
Moderator
#42 Edited by C2C (855 posts) -
#43 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
Moderator
#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36071 posts) -
Dan Forden should get the aliases "Toasty" and "The Toasty Guy." After all, that's pretty much his one claim to fame.
#45 Edited by risseless (477 posts) -

Requesting the following aliases for Linda Canyon:
 

  • Linda Kenyon
  • Linda Kanyon
 
Evidence: IMDB
#46 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -
#47 Posted by OneEyedNinja7 (797 posts) -
#48 Posted by Hailinel (23948 posts) -
Darkstalkers 3 should have the alias Darkstalkers III:  Jedah's Damnation.
#49 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -
#50 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

" Dan Forden should get the aliases "Toasty" and "The Toasty Guy." After all, that's pretty much his one claim to fame. "

@risseless said:

" Requesting the following aliases for Linda Canyon:
 

  • Linda Kenyon
  • Linda Kanyon
 
Evidence: IMDB "
@Mr_Skeleton said:

" Add the alias LBA 2 to  Little Big Adventure 2   (they even use it on the box). "

@OneEyedNinja7 said:

" Add Hurley as an alias to Hugo Reyes "

@Hailinel said:

" Darkstalkers 3 should have the alias Darkstalkers III:  Jedah's Damnation. "

@Kamasama said:

" Shadowcat > Kitty Pryde "

Done^6.
Moderator