#451 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

Done up to here.

We're not going to go down the road of adding "1" to every first game of a franchise. The search system still needs some work (it doesn't float popular pages to the top like it did on the old site), but hopefully that will be resolved sooner than later.

Staff
#452 Edited by Nes (222 posts) -

Renames:

Gunstringer - Dead Man Running => The Gunstringer: Dead Man Running

Microsoft Taptiles => Taptiles

(It's never actually referred to as Microsoft Taptiles, it was probably done as that because it was released for the Windows 8 beta at the same time as Microsoft Minesweeper, Microsoft Mahjong, and Microsoft Solitaire Collection. Oh, speaking of which...)

Solitaire Collection => Microsoft Solitaire Collection

Ascend: New Gods => Ascend: Hand of Kul

(Source: this and this)

#453 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (839 posts) -

Rename:

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 => Gyakuten Kenji 2

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is likely what the game would be called if it had been released in English, but it wasn't. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 should be an alias rather than the actual name of the article.

#454 Edited by Hailinel (24382 posts) -
#455 Edited by BlackLagoon (1406 posts) -

(alias) James Walls -> Jim Walls (colloquial name)

(rename) XBlaze -> XBlaze Code: Embryo (full title)

Also, Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD EDITION got renamed Yakuza 1&2 HD when the duplicate was deleted. This probably shouldn't have happened - Yakuza is the English name of the franchise, and since the title has yet to be announced for a western release it should still have been listed under it's Japanese name (Ryu ga Gotoku) with the Yakuza title as an alias.

#456 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -
#457 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

So, I guess thanks to Ubisoft we now need to rename the Super Ubi Land page to Super Ubie Land.

Makes an already silly sounding title also LOOK incredibly dumb.

#458 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2370 posts) -
#459 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -

Final Fantasy Type-0 -> Final Fantasy Type-O

what's the point of this? the game is called type zero, not type "o"

nobody here is entering alpha-numerical codes where you have to differentiate between an O and a 0.

#461 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2370 posts) -

@def said:

@saturdaynightspecials said:
Final Fantasy Type-0 -> Final Fantasy Type-O

what's the point of this? the game is called type zero, not type "o"

nobody here is entering alpha-numerical codes where you have to differentiate between an O and a 0.

Someone could very easily mistake the 0 for an O (since "oh" can mean either phonetically, and "type O" is a more familiar term than "type-0") and thus search for Final Fantasy Type-O, bringing up nothing.

I don't think this is so unreasonable in comparison to any other spelling error-focused alias.

#462 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -
#463 Posted by Marino (4653 posts) -

Done up to here.

Staff
#465 Edited by peterpasinili007 (73 posts) -
#466 Posted by NuclearWinter (760 posts) -

Done.

#467 Edited by BlackLagoon (1406 posts) -

(rename) Panopticon -> Freedom Wars (actual name, Panopticon was just used on the teaser)

(rename) Minna to Issho -> Toro's Friend Network (official English name)

(rename) LineWars 2 -> LineWars II (actual name, keep other as alias)

(rename) Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! -> Mamorukun Curse! (official English title)

(rename) Zoink Games -> Zoink! (new name)

(rename) Stick It to The Man -> Stick It to The Man! (my fault, forgot the exclamation mark when creating the page)

(alias) Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom -> Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS release)

(alias) The 2D Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character -> The HD Adventures of Rotating Octopus Character (Vita release)

(alias) Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder -> Crap of Defense (initial title, was withdrawn and renamed)

#468 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -

#2 Posted by Marino (3459 posts) - 7 hours, 30 minutes ago

@def: Deleted the dupe but I don't see why we should add erroneous aliases. The game's title doesn't have a period at the end.

re: A.N.N.E - request to add alias A.N.N.E.

@marino I could not disagree more with you. That is the point of having an alias! Why did I make that duplicate page in the first place? Because I searched for A.N.N.E. and didn't get any results. Had that been an alias, I would not have made a dupe obviously. Why do you add aliases for numbered games with roman numerals? Diablo III's title also isn't spelled with a 3. But it's an alias. Why? Because someone might look for the game by putting in Diablo 3. Omitting the final period at the end of an acronym is, for one, fairly uncommon and also highly confusing (people still spell N.W.A like this: N.W.A.)

Aliases should help users find a page, not hinder them or make things complicated. It's not like this is a request to add some weird alternate name. It's like adding abbreviations like CoD4 to improve the user experience and make searching for games more convenient.

So I will restate my request: please add alias add the alias A.N.N.E. to A.N.N.E

----

Separate from this:

Rename concept for Single Card Download Play to just Download Play and make Single Card Download Play an alias. Since this also applies to eShop downloads, the designation for "single card" makes very little sense.

#469 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2370 posts) -
#470 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -
#471 Posted by Mento (2505 posts) -

@def: Did we ever come to a consensus about games where their official names have typos in them? I seem to recall another one a while back. The A.N.N.E thing above is also related, but I think the rule about periods after letters in an acronym is a little less stringent.

Talking of ambiguously defined consensuses, is The Legend of Zelda going to get its "Legend of Zelda" alias? It's annoying to reach the page using the search engine if you don't include the article, and I suspect most people generally don't with a quick search.

#472 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -

Toki Tori 2 is called Toki Tori 2+ for the steam release. (alias)

----

@mento said:

@def: Did we ever come to a consensus about games where their official names have typos in them? I seem to recall another one a while back. The A.N.N.E thing above is also related, but I think the rule about periods after letters in an acronym is a little less stringent.

Talking of ambiguously defined consensuses, is The Legend of Zelda going to get its "Legend of Zelda" alias? It's annoying to reach the page using the search engine if you don't include the article, and I suspect most people generally don't with a quick search.

Speaking of which, the The Legend of Zelda page needs an alias for "Zelda no Densetsu 1: The Hyrule Fantasy" - the name of the FDS version, as well as the 1994 Famicom re-release.

---

And Monster Hunter 4 needs an MH4 alias, please.

---

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles

is called Tales of Symphonia Unisonant Pack in Japan. (alias)

#473 Posted by Hailinel (24382 posts) -

Patricia Wagon needs the alias Patty Wagon. She's referred to by this name in some materials including new and announcements published by the developer.

#474 Posted by Galamoth (91 posts) -

Renames:

Can Uhura have her first name like all the other TOS crew member pages on GB? It should be Nyota Uhura.

Laura needs her surname added to the page title, it should be Laura Harris.

#475 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -
#476 Edited by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@mento said:

It wouldn't have any effect. Perfect alias matches don't result in higher search placement like perfect title matches do. To try this out, search for Super Mario Bros 2. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels ranks lower in the results than New Super Mario Bros. 2, even though its alias matches the search term exactly.

#477 Edited by Mento (2505 posts) -

@lordandrew: While it's true that aliases appear further down the list, those perfect alias matches at least appear on the first page of the search results, albeit right at the end. You wouldn't need to scour three pages of results before finding the original NES game if it had the alias: it would be at the end of the first (along with Zelda II currently). I'm specifically referring to that dynamic drop down menu we have; I don't know where the aliases are if you were to type the name and then hit Enter.

But I'll concede that it's not a big deal. I mean, how difficult it is to add the article if the first Zelda doesn't immediately pop up?

#478 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@mento: Aliases only push a result to the front page if the match could not have been made without the alias. A search for "Legend of Zelda" matches The Legend of Zelda already, so the alias won't be used.

Even if the alias was used, lots of Zelda game pages have aliases containing that string. You can't be sure this game would earn one of the two available alias slots.

#479 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -

Sonic X-treme (canceled)

should not be named "Sonic X-treme (canceled)" for the obvious reason that "(canceled)" doesn't belong in the title. Rename to Sonic X-treme and add the alias Sonix Xtreme.

#480 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -
#481 Edited by DeF (4855 posts) -
#482 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -
#483 Posted by Eirikr (1006 posts) -
#484 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

@eirikr: Yeah I was about to mention that. Thanks for the confirm

#485 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -
#486 Posted by Wiseblood (640 posts) -

The Boss needs The President as an alias.

#487 Edited by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

Book of Potions should get the alias "Wonderbook: Book of Potions". (Even though Wonderbook isn't officially in the title, people might search for it that way.)

#488 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2370 posts) -
#489 Edited by BeachThunder (11828 posts) -
#490 Edited by icytower38 (463 posts) -

Rename: Squeeky Voiced Teen -> Squeaky Voiced Teen

Alias: Kyle Petty's No Fear Racing -> Circuit USA サーキットUSA

I'm not sure about the Japanese text stuff as an alias, the Famicom box does use both and the text does translate in to Circuit. Sorry, don't usually find that stuff when editing a page :).

#491 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

Shining Force II: Sword of Hajya is just called Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya in the west.

rename please and add the alias: Shining Force Gaiden II: Jashin no Kakusei

#492 Edited by Homeslice (537 posts) -
#493 Edited by fisk0 (4028 posts) -

I managed to misspell Strike Suit as Strike Suite for the name of the franchise page. Should be renamed to Strike Suit.

#494 Edited by Anwar (864 posts) -
#495 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2370 posts) -

Rename: MayaQuest -> MayaQuest: The Mystery Trail

Rename: Fireblade -> Fire Blade -> Alias: Fireblade

#496 Posted by Banshee (120 posts) -

Rename The War Z to: Infestation: Survivor Stories, and add the Alias: The War Z.

#497 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2370 posts) -

Common Octopus has the redundant alias Common Octopus. Delete it please.

#498 Posted by Tearhead (2161 posts) -
#499 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

mods, where are you? been a month since the last update.

#500 Edited by Tearhead (2161 posts) -

@def said:

mods, where are you? been a month since the last update.

Yeah, and things like aliases can be pretty important in some specific cases. I wonder why they didn't choose to put that behind a point value.