#401 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@vigorousjammer said:

@beachthunder said:

@lordandrew said:

The Real Ghostbusters should have the aliases Garfield Labyrinth and Mickey Mouse IV: Mahou no Labyrinth. It utilized different licenses in different regions but is otherwise the same game.

Not sure I agree with this; they all use different characters based on the franchises they are related to, right? Consider that Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 have separate pages.

Hmm... So, if that's the case, does that mean any game that has a different name and different graphics despite having identical gameplay should be split up into two pages?

I'm talking specifically about games that were changed from one region to the next, but are still essentially the same game, with the same levels, running on the same engine.

For example:

Dragon Power

for the NES was a Dragon Ball game on the Famicom. The sprites, story and title were changed... so should they be two separate pages? If not, should that

Doki Doki Panic

page be merged with the

Super Mario Bros. 2

page?

I honestly don't know, there seems to be arguments either way. If you just have one page, then it removes the redundancies of having similar info on multiple pages. However, with multiple pages, you can specify exact things for each version; also, it means searching and linking to franchises makes more sense.

This again?

Guys, Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 are not the same game. One is not just a reskin of the other. I don't know about Real Ghostbusters versus Garfield, but I do know that Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 are individual titles.

Was Super Mario Bros. 2 based on Doki Doki Panic's code? Yes.

Do they share elements? Absolutely.

Do they play exactly the same? No. As a matter of fact, they play quite differently from one another, as has been outlined in the articles.

Do they have all of the same system features? No.

Arguing that these pages should be merged is like arguing that Counter-Strike should be merged into Half-Life's page. Yes, they use the same codebase, but they aren't the same game.

#402 Edited by DeF (5001 posts) -
#403 Posted by Marino (4796 posts) -

Done up to here.

Staff
#404 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

EC Interactive should have the alias EC-i which is on their logo and how they are listed on a couple of games.

#405 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2460 posts) -
#406 Posted by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

Super Manitou should be renamed simply to Manitou, with Super Manitou remaining as an alias, reflecting its recent English localization.

#407 Edited by DeF (5001 posts) -
#408 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The page for Captain Marvel needs to be renamed Shazam, as that is the character's current official name since the DC Comics New 52 reboot. He's also referred to as Shazam in Injustice. He should retain Captain Marvel as an alias, as well as the alias Billy Batson, his secret identity.

#409 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -
#410 Edited by Yummylee (22684 posts) -
#411 Posted by Electric_Zen (99 posts) -

Rename:

http://www.giantbomb.com/delete/3040-1706/

Should be Steve Meretzky

#412 Edited by DeF (5001 posts) -
#413 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

Moorhuhn Pinball should be renamed to Crazy Chicken Pinball Vol. 1 and Moorhuhn Pinball should be added as an alias.

#414 Edited by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

Please rename the wikipage "XCOM" to its new, proper name: "The Bureau: XCOM Declassified".

Source

#415 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2546 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@beachthunder said:

@vigorousjammer said:

@beachthunder said:

@lordandrew said:

The Real Ghostbusters should have the aliases Garfield Labyrinth and Mickey Mouse IV: Mahou no Labyrinth. It utilized different licenses in different regions but is otherwise the same game.

Not sure I agree with this; they all use different characters based on the franchises they are related to, right? Consider that Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 have separate pages.

Hmm... So, if that's the case, does that mean any game that has a different name and different graphics despite having identical gameplay should be split up into two pages?

I'm talking specifically about games that were changed from one region to the next, but are still essentially the same game, with the same levels, running on the same engine.

For example:

Dragon Power

for the NES was a Dragon Ball game on the Famicom. The sprites, story and title were changed... so should they be two separate pages? If not, should that

Doki Doki Panic

page be merged with the

Super Mario Bros. 2

page?

I honestly don't know, there seems to be arguments either way. If you just have one page, then it removes the redundancies of having similar info on multiple pages. However, with multiple pages, you can specify exact things for each version; also, it means searching and linking to franchises makes more sense.

This again?

Guys, Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 are not the same game. One is not just a reskin of the other. I don't know about Real Ghostbusters versus Garfield, but I do know that Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 are individual titles.

Was Super Mario Bros. 2 based on Doki Doki Panic's code? Yes.

Do they share elements? Absolutely.

Do they play exactly the same? No. As a matter of fact, they play quite differently from one another, as has been outlined in the articles.

Do they have all of the same system features? No.

Arguing that these pages should be merged is like arguing that Counter-Strike should be merged into Half-Life's page. Yes, they use the same codebase, but they aren't the same game.

Yeah, I actually personally wasn't making an argument for the merging of those pages. I think Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 should absolutely be seperated. I was more just saying that it's just as crazy to have some of those other pages merged if we're separating Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2.

I feel like it's a very fine line though... Personally, if the gameplay differs at all, I think the pages should be separated. If the only difference are the sprites in the game, perhaps not? I was really more just looking for an official response from one of the mods or the staff.

#416 Edited by mracoon (4990 posts) -

Done up to here.

@electric_zen:That page is a duplicate. The real page is here.

@def: Going too keep Ghosts as an alias until the game is officially announced.

#417 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Shouldn't Aless be renamed Ares? I think that's his new name in the post-Awakening Fire Emblem world.

#418 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Shouldn't Aless be renamed Ares? I think that's his new name in the post-Awakening Fire Emblem world.

Yeah, you're right.

#419 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2460 posts) -
#420 Posted by sodacat (217 posts) -
#421 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

@sodacat said:

Bomb Defusal should probably be renamed to Bomb Defusal Multiplayer, or something to differentiate it from Bomb Disposal.

Just came here to request Search and Destroy be added as a alias. You could switch it to that if you wanted and add bomb defusal as an alias instead.

Search and Destroy is a more common name in modern games, but Defusal is the name that popularised the mode (hence de_dust) which is why I went with that.

I don't think there's much chance of anyone mixing it up with bomb disposal.

#422 Edited by sodacat (217 posts) -

@rolyatkcinmai: I'm just thinking of it in terms of what an editor will see when they enter a phrase to add a concept to a game.

#423 Posted by Marino (4796 posts) -
Staff
#424 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

As the GS in GS Mikami: Joreishi wa nice body stands for "Ghost Sweeper", "Ghost Sweeper Mikami" should probably be added as an alias. (Maybe a version with the subtitle, too.)

#425 Edited by Kovie (207 posts) -

This page has the title misspelled as "Experiements", and should be Serial Experiments Lain

The next one is more complicated (sorry, this got kind of ridiculous): the Pioneer Productions page is currently being used as a substitute for the Japanese company Pioneer LDC (GameFAQs link). I researched the names and "Pioneer Productions" has never been used by Pioneer LDC or anything associated, instead it was the name of a development team covered under the EA Canada page. Why it's been so hard to parse what belongs to who is partly due to an IGN page which has inexplicably merged the two companies together under "Productions", as well as the apparent misconception outside the GB database that one of Pioneer LDC's games, Hi-Roller Battle, was published by EA developer Pioneer Productions (as seen in the Gamespot and GameFAQs release info as the one out-of-place game), despite being a Japanese game for the Pioneer Laseractive: Pioneer LDC's own system, and also having the Pioneer logo on the cover.

In short: Pioneer LDC predominantly published Japanese games, many for their own LaserActive, and was part of the Pioneer Corporation (whose logo is on some of their games). Pioneer Productions was an EA developer that is known for the original Need for Speed (which did see a Japanese release, and was distinctly separate from Pioneer or Pioneer LDC). The wiki page should be changed from Productions to LDC.

This is what I've managed to construct out of unreliable information, and if someone has a correction, it would be appreciated. I apologize to whoever has to read this mess.

#426 Edited by BlackLagoon (1503 posts) -

@kovie: Pioneer LDC was Pioneer Laser Disc Corporation. They got into anime production to produce content for their laser disc players, and it would seem games to produce content for the Laseractive system and games based on their anime (Tenchi Muyo, Serial Experiments Lain). They got sold off to advertising giant Dentsu in 2003 and became Geneon Entertainment, though at that point I think they were focused mostly on anime.

Which brings me to

(rename) Serial Experiements Lain -> Serial Experiments Lain (misspelling) - Whoops

-----

While I'm at it, Farming Simulator 2012 3D should probably be renamed simply Farming Simulator 2012, as it seem that version of the game is the basis of all the portable versions of the game (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Vita) rather being a 3DS specific entry.

(alias) Ken no Machi no Ihoujin -> The Stranger in Alda (suggested English title)

Oneechanbara should be changed to Onechanbara, which is the spelling used on the most recent English releases. Oneechanbara should be kept as an alias, alongside Zombie Hunters (older English franchise name).

#427 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

I also recently came across the Farming Simulator mobile games and determined that they were the 2012 edition. Looks like you beat me to the rename request.

I don't know what games these Canadian politicians are supposed to be credited in (the submission note suggests that maybe they're actually characters), but I do know they're misspelled:

http://www.giantbomb.com/stephan-harper/3040-104929/ is Stephen Harper.

http://www.giantbomb.com/paulin-marios/3040-104932/ is Pauline Marois (and there's no such thing as Prime Minister of Quebec)

http://www.giantbomb.com/justin-treadu/3040-104933/ is Justin Trudeau

http://www.giantbomb.com/pierre-eliot-treadu/3040-104934/ is Pierre Elliott Trudeau

#428 Edited by Kovie (207 posts) -

@blacklagoon: Already mentioned the misspelling you brought up in my post, but thanks for the extra elaboration. It's difficult to be specific about a request when most of the information sources are straight-up inaccurate.

#429 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -
#430 Edited by Animasta (14746 posts) -

I can't decide on whether renaming the Golem page to his actual name (Kax-Teh) is necessary... you learn his name in Zeno Clash 2, which is the sequel, but Golem is such a generic name that has a multitude of pages already that maybe renaming it would be best. but I don't know the best way to handle it so even if it isn't changed Golem should have the alias of Kax-Teh.

Oh, and Xotl-Teh should have the alias of South Golem.

#431 Edited by Wiseblood (671 posts) -

Vera Moray should be renamed to Granny Rags and Vera Moray kept as her real name and as an alias.

#432 Edited by DeF (5001 posts) -

Mario Family needs to be renamed to Jaguar Mishin Sashi Senyou Soft: Mario Family

alias: ジャガーミシン刺しゅう専用ソフトマリオファミリー

#434 Posted by Mento (2843 posts) -

A few (all right, many) aliases for NES games:

Though I'd give it a few days before adding these since the wiki's acting up right now.

#435 Edited by Eirikr (1010 posts) -

@eirikr said:

Super Manitou should be renamed simply to Manitou, with Super Manitou remaining as an alias, reflecting its recent English localization.

This request was missed!

#436 Edited by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -
#437 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -
#438 Posted by bobafettjm (1487 posts) -

Beourg should have the alias of Fallen Beourg which is how he is labelled when first met.

#439 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Revelations: Persona (and I guess Shin Megami Tensei: Persona) should both have Persona 1 listed as aliases. In fact, shouldn't there be a rule for this type of thing where first entries in a series have "Name 1" as an alias, regardless of the original title? That's usually what people are going to search outside a couple of exceptions (Pokemon and Zelda come to mind, although not entirely the latter).

#440 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Revelations: Persona (and I guess Shin Megami Tensei: Persona) should both have Persona 1 listed as aliases. In fact, shouldn't there be a rule for this type of thing where first entries in a series have "Name 1" as an alias, regardless of the original title? That's usually what people are going to search outside a couple of exceptions (Pokemon and Zelda come to mind, although not entirely the latter).

Why would it need this? If you type Persona into the search field, those games pop up.

#441 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@hailinel:

Several options down, though. Hell, the PSP version doesn't even appear on the first page. If I can make the results appear more quickly with the press of a single button, why not? Besides, from a naming perspective, the logic is there (that last sentence).

#442 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@hailinel:

Several options down, though. Hell, the PSP version doesn't even appear on the first page. If I can make the results appear more quickly with the press of a single button, why not? Besides, from a naming perspective, the logic is there (that last sentence).

I never type "Name 1" in these search fields. I don't know what this "usually" is you're talking about.

#443 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@hailinel:

• Fire Emblem 1
  • Dragon Quest 1
  • Far Cry 1
  • Halo 1
  • Uncharted 1
  • Shin Megami Tensei 1
  • Kingdom Hearts 1
  • Final Fantasy 1
  • Phantasy Star 1
  • Romancing SaGa 1
  • Resident Evil 1
  • etc.
#444 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@hailinel:

• Fire Emblem 1
  • Dragon Quest 1
  • Far Cry 1
  • Halo 1
  • Uncharted 1
  • Shin Megami Tensei 1
  • Kingdom Hearts 1
  • Final Fantasy 1
  • Phantasy Star 1
  • Romancing SaGa 1
  • Resident Evil 1
  • etc.

Like I said, I never search that way.

#445 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@hailinel:

Other people might, though. At the very least, Dragon Quest should get that alias, since there's precedent and all.

#446 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

As long as I'm here, Alys Brangwin should have Lyla added as an alias, as that appears to be her name in the original Japanese version (ライラ, technically).

#447 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@hailinel:

Other people might, though. At the very least, Dragon Quest should get that alias, since there's precedent and all.

The original Dragon Warrior is the first game listed in the search results when you type that in. There's no need for an alias, and certainly no need to add an alias of each game's name with a 1 for every single game in the database that has at least one sequel.

#448 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -
#449 Edited by Mento (2843 posts) -

I just want to mention that unless you remember to include the article, putting "Legend of Zelda" into the search will create a list of Zelda games in which the very first one (i.e. the only one for which "legend of zelda" is the only applicable search term, as every other LoZ game has a subtitle) actually appears on the last page of results.

It's a quirk of our search engine. I'm not entirely clear on the finer details, but the search engine lists exact matches first and then close matches by their popularity. Chances are the first game of a series, unless you've typed in the name exactly, will be bumped behind its more recent series iterations. I'd say go with VGK's case by case basis on a lot of them, because while a game like Resident Evil won't have a problem, games with articles and the like that people might excise will be less easy to find.

While I'm here, the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu franchise page could use its English alias The Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Also, if someone wants a wiki thing to do, they could add the many other Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu games to the wiki. Seems like there's more than a couple we're missing.

#450 Posted by DeF (5001 posts) -