Seperatre page for FF4 original version and DS remake?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Torrim

Although they are essentially the same game with the same storyline, they are still two very different games with completely different graphical styles and separate development cycles.  For an example, I point to Tomb Raider and then Tomb Raider Anniversary.  I'm pretty sure if square had included a subtitle with this iteration of IV we would be seeing a different page.

zig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zig

This is kind of a question I have in general.  When does a handheld version of a game need it's own completely separate page?  And should the main game still have the handheld as a listed platform?  For example the Spore page has a DS version listed, but the DS version is a spin-off with its own page.  Shouldn't these two games only be connected by the Franchise/Series links?  Remakes like FF4 DS pose a similar question.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

I think when it's just a port (such as Donkey Kong Country to the GBA) then it shouldn't be considered a completely different game, however, when it's a remake such as FF4, then it needs a new page.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#4  Edited By JackiJinx

As I stated in the merge thread, the DS remake mostly just looks different, but is essentially the same game. Same story, same characters, different graphics, and a touch screen.

As for Spore, the DS, PC and iPhone versions are all completely different, or so it has been presented thus far. Why the PC version has DS listed is probably just an error in not knowing they have separate pages.

I can honestly say that I have no idea if Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Anniversary should have separate pages. I know Anniversary is a remake somewhat, but I don't know the specifics.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Joker

Should be separate, because even though it is a port, I think that if a port even has the slightest change, which FF4 on DS does, than it should warrant its own page. Also Brad is writing a review for the DS version, so it would be wrong to have that in the same page with the old kind, since he will be talking about new features some.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Daniel

Hmm...okay, I'm making a separate page. Especially if Brad is doing a review.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Endogene

you must be kidding me? there have already been a couple of discussions about it and all of them had for conclusion no

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Daniel

I do not kid.......

haha. I'm actually not going to create a new page for the DS title, as we already have a couple reviews for it on the FFIV general page, and I'm not sure if we'd lose those, but I'm afraid we might. Brad will have the ability to create a new one if he does in fact write a review for it and sees a unique page as necessary.

I'm washing my hands of this and closing the thread. We'll see what Brad does.