Should specific species be deleted?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

There far too many to list here, but have a look at the stuff that's listed on this page. A lot of them are only linked to a single page and contain nothing more than the word "fishy". For the most part, this just feels like wiki spam. I think it's okay for popular animal species (or even specific dog breeds), but I'm not sure that there's much value in having a page dedicated to every and any species of fish.

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

very racist

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why does this matter?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By joshwent

@beachthunder: I know others feel very differently about this, but I usually say that the more information we have here, the better.

You have to consider what these pages are used for. No one is going to come to Giant Bomb to learn about specific fish species, so it doesn't really matter that the Cloudy Catshark page doesn't have any information about Cloudy Catsharks. But someone could come here trying to find out if a certain type of fish appears in a game. And these pages allow that (admittedly unlikely) thing to happen.

In the early days, Jeff talked about having a specific Species/Race category. I still think that's a good idea, as it could limit potential clutter, and allow even more focused searches. But as it stands without that, these fishy pages aren't really distracting from other more important ones. So deleting them is just getting rid of perfectly useful information.

I agree that, "...there's [not] much value in having a page dedicated to every and any species of fish.", but if some of those species appear in a game, connecting them to their games is kind of what the wiki is all about!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

No, you monster.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Why? The data being there doesn't hurt anything, and at some point it might be useful to someone.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

The pages are acceptable as is.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I kind of totally agree with this... It's weird though, because the 'fishy' tagline for the wiki pages just kiiiiinda bothers me. But, I think if we could have some intrepid person actually play those games and explain the fishes rolls in the context of the game(s) it'd be a little more acceptable?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Even the descriptions?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Maybe if they're changed to "Fish featured in video game blahblahblah?"

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@zombiepie said:

Even the descriptions?

The debate was not about the description, but the existence of the pages. You are welcomed to edit the descriptions. As there is nothing more to discuss on the matter this thread is being locked.