This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

I think the game needs two versions: One for the 360/PS3 and one for the Wii since both have completely different storylines, gameplay and other things. They are only the same in the name; nothing else.

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Hmm I'm  not sure about this one....it seems most of the gameplay differences are only due to the use of the wiimote....but if the story is completely different...I really don't know about this one.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:
" I think the game needs two versions: One for the 360/PS3 and one for the Wii since both have completely different storylines, gameplay and other things. They are only the same in the name; nothing else. "
I do not see anything about the story being different on Wikipedia. 
#4 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Read this:
 http://www.giantbomb.com/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands/61-29321/wasnt-this-game-about-the-prince-visiting-his-brother/35-419571/?page=1#identifier_2519971
#5 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: Read this:  http://www.giantbomb.com/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands/61-29321/wasnt-this-game-about-the-prince-visiting-his-brother/35-419571/?page=1#identifier_2519971 "

He never says it IS different. He said   probably. You need proof to have a game split.  
 
It might be different but you need to have proof. 
#6 Edited by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

Read this thread:
 http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/981423-prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands/54933386
 

"I bought Forgotten Sands for PS3 and really enjoyed it, but hearing that the Wii version has a different story, setting, and powers than the other console versions, I'm intrigued by the idea of immediately jumping into a new console PoP experience."

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (13985 posts) -

Those are just people who heard that the story is different. Do we have any evidence that the story is different, or just hearsay?

#8 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

I've played the Wii game (I own a Wii and the game) and it is nothing like the 360/PS3 game. Nothing at all alike.
 
Just youtube videos for each game and see for yourself.

#9 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -

I'm going to go with no on this one.

#10 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

Justify your reason please.
 
It's plain as day to see that these are two completely different games. My guess is you haven't even played them.

#11 Posted by LordAndrew (13985 posts) -

It's not plain as day to me because you haven't actually stated how they're different. I'm not going to watch a video. I've watched far too many videos this month, and my ISP is going to break my legs if I watch any more.

#12 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -

Plus, there isn't going to be a page created for every single Wii version of a game based on the fact that it plays differently. Different versions of the same game will play differently; we need to know that these are legitimately different games, not two versions of the same game. From what I've seen/read, this is the latter case.

#13 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -

Jesus Christ you guys are dense as oil.
 
The game is entirely different.
Different gameplay.
Different setting.
Different levels.
Different story.
 
Only the name is the same.

#14 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Plus, there isn't going to be a page created for every single Wii version of a game based on the fact that it plays differently. Different versions of the same game will play differently; we need to know that these are legitimately different games, not two versions of the same game. From what I've seen/read, this is the latter case. "
He's talking about a completely different game so I don't see how the first part of you post relates to what he is saying.
#15 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:

" Jesus Christ you guys are dense as oil.
 
The game is entirely different. Different gameplay. Different setting. Different levels. Different story.  Only the name is the same. "

You need proof the stories are different. Someone needs to play both and tell us. Other wise a page wont be split. We do not go on" Well I heard"  
 
Also gameplay is different got all systems if you think about it. Cause of different controllers.  
 
Plus its a Wii you accepted there would be some amount of changes because of it being...err..I am not sure what to call it without offending someone. 
#16 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

Wow, people are really picky today. I am here to confirm that the stories are different.
 
The story in the Wii version is about the Prince getting his own kingdom through a trick, but then the kingdom is full of creatures so he must cleanse his belonging.

#17 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -

I watched some videos of both, and I'm sticking with my previous thought that this is just a case of two different versions of the same game. While there may be other differences, like the story and the way the game is controlled (which is natural, considering the nature of the Wii), it really looks like they're both based on the same movie... which they are.
 
If this game really does need to be split it apart, it also means that the literally hundreds of Wii and handheld ports of movie games (not limited to this, but it's an example) should all be separated into different pages, which I find to be a completely unnecessary change.

#18 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

You need proof the stories are different. Someone needs to play both and tell us.

I think you are having a mentally challenged day. :P
 
Let me be perfectly clear: I've played both games and they are nothing alike.
 

Plus its a Wii you accepted there would be some amount of changes because of it being...err..I am not sure what to call it without offending someone. 


/facepalm
#19 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@papuccino1 said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

You need proof the stories are different. Someone needs to play both and tell us.

I think you are having a mentally challenged day. :P
 
Let me be perfectly clear: I've played both games and they are nothing alike.
 

Plus its a Wii you accepted there would be some amount of changes because of it being...err..I am not sure what to call it without offending someone. 

/facepalm "
I think you are just mad you got the...crappy version of a game.  (Insert random smiley thing here) 
 
Like Starfox said. They are based on the movie. So they do not need to be split. 
#20 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

What is everyone's problem the last couple days? So grouchy...
 
@LiquidPrince said:

"The story in the Wii version is about the Prince getting his own kingdom through a trick, but then the kingdom is full of creatures so he must cleanse his belonging. "
#21 Edited by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: I no longer think you are having a mentally challenged day, you probably are mentally challenged.
 
The Wii having less graphics and different skins is inconsequential.
 
It is fact that both games share nothing in common except the game title. In the Wii version you have a genie following you guiding you to cleanse Izdahar. In the other one there is no Genie and no Izdahar.
 
Edit: I wish a mod would come and say something about this issue.
#22 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Haaa i love it when these things happen. The rules should really be clearly defined for this stuff. I see no reason for these two games not two be split into two pages, take my opinion for what you like.

#23 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -
@papuccino1: Based on the videos I watched... there's a lot more in common than the game title. You said the setting was different, but it really isn't. They both appear to take place in an Arabian setting, with similar third-person action. They may control differently, but they looked pretty similar to me.
#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel:  I thought I was being helpful, not grouchy.
#25 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@LiquidPrince: Oh! I wasn't speaking to you. I just quoted you because I agree with what you said. :)
#26 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel: Ah, gotcha!
#27 Posted by papuccino1 (311 posts) -
@StarFoxA: Since you've played neither games, why are you posting here again? You have as much say as my grandmother.
#28 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -
@papuccino1: You posted about it here on this forum, telling us to look up videos. I did so, and am stating my opinion. I didn't say that it's the supreme authority, I'm saying how I think that this situation should be handled. Since it is similar to literally hundreds of other movie based games, it should be handled in the same way as those games; a single page for all versions. What it comes down to is this: are they separate versions of a game, or two entirely different games? Based on my perception, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands has a few separate versions of the game, but not several entirely different games.
#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @papuccino1: Based on the videos I watched... there's a lot more in common than the game title. You said the setting was different, but it really isn't. They both appear to take place in an Arabian setting, with similar third-person action. They may control differently, but they looked pretty similar to me. "
Honestly papuccino has a point....if he's actually played both games and you just watched some videos I would say you should put into consideration what he is saying instead of completely ignoring him just because he may not be such an established member of the wiki as you are....seriously man swallow some of your pride and at least consider what he is saying.
#30 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -
@Unknown_Pleasures: My opinion is based off of the fact that there needs to be standardization when it comes to these sort of things (referring specifically to ports). It has nothing to do with who the user is, or their reputation. I have always been of the opinion that games with more than one versions should be consolidated onto a single page, and have defended that viewpoint on numerous occasions. I don't see how this is any different, or how I'm being prideful. This is always the opinion I have held.
#31 Posted by TMThomsen (2068 posts) -
@Endogene:  I agree with you, but the staff don't seem to care.
 
@papuccino1:  I've had a similar discussion about the GBA version of Max Payne. I agree with you.
#32 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

Question, what's stopping people from actually noting the differences between the HD and Wii platform versions of the game on the one page? What's stopping folks from explaining how the Wii game differs and what exactly does it do differently?
 
Also someone explain in clear bullet points with some actual evidence what the major differences are between versions so I can review whether a split is needed or not.
 
Otherwise I don't want to see any further bitching about this. You now have a mod willing to sit down and discuss this, so lets discuss and stop arguing :)

#33 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" Question, what's stopping people from actually noting the differences between the HD and Wii platform versions of the game on the one page? What's stopping folks from explaining how the Wii game differs and what exactly does it do differently?  Also someone explain in clear bullet points with some actual evidence what the major differences are between versions so I can review whether a split is needed or not.  Otherwise I don't want to see any further bitching about this. You now have a mod willing to sit down and discuss this, so lets discuss and stop arguing :) "
Should I get some beverages ready or should we get right to business?
#34 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -
@Hamz: Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:
 

In the Wii version of the game, the Prince wields three new powers: a Sand Ring, serving as a wall grip to ascend areas where there are no ledges or grips; a pillar to get higher; and a protection sphere to avoid falling or getting caught in traps. These three magical sand powers serve both in navigation sequences, during combat and also to solve puzzles. The source of these three new powers is a magical phial discovered by the prince. Later in the game, the challenges force the player to combine all of the three powers. With time, the powers will be found to have more than one specific usage; according to Nintendo Power, the Sand Ring will also serve to activate some special power crystals .

Combat in the Wii version makes use of the Wii's motion sensing capabilities. A flick of the Wii Remote will swing the Prince's sword, and the same gesture with the Nunchuk will make him throw a punch. The rest of his combat moves (like rolling, blocking, etc.) simply uses buttons, as the developers didn't want to make the game exhausting by overusing motion controls. According to Nintendo Power, the swordplay does feel similar to the previous installments. From time to time, certain foes will have a blue aura surrounding them, meaning he is the "leader" of the group of enemies; bringing the player to the use of some strategy: if you kill the leader, the other enemies will flee instantly. Using a Sand Ring on an enemy will freeze him for a brief period of time.

The Wii version also features cooperative multiplayer gameplay and includes the Super NES version of the original Prince of Persia.
#35 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -
@StarFoxA:  Wikipedia isn't the greatest source.
#36 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -
@Endogene said:
" Haaa i love it when these things happen. The rules should really be clearly defined for this stuff. I see no reason for these two games not two be split into two pages, take my opinion for what you like. "
Well look who came crawling back.
#37 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

" @Endogene said:

" Haaa i love it when these things happen. The rules should really be clearly defined for this stuff. I see no reason for these two games not two be split into two pages, take my opinion for what you like. "

Well look who came crawling back. "
Thanks for the warm welcome back?
 
Hmmm steering off topic here
 
If this will help you out Hamz check out the second user review over at Amazon of the Wii version, this person confirms what Papuccino says about this being a completely different game
 
 http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Persia-Forgotten-Sands-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0030GBU8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274987571&sr=8-1

 The Wii version of Prince of Persia the forgotten sand has nothing to do with the PS3/360 version at all (in terms of characters and story) and that's actually a good thing that Ubisoft created a different game than trying to cram the PS3/360 version into the Wii version 

 
Again i see no reason not to split this page up. It is a pretty clear case really.
#38 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -
@Endogene said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @Endogene said:
" Haaa i love it when these things happen. The rules should really be clearly defined for this stuff. I see no reason for these two games not two be split into two pages, take my opinion for what you like. "
Well look who came crawling back. "
Thanks for the warm welcome back? "
;)
#39 Posted by Icemael (6269 posts) -

Man, people in this thread are dense
 
@StarFoxA said: 

"While there may be other differences, like the story and the way the game is controlled (which is natural, considering the nature of the Wii), it really looks like they're both based on the same movie... which they are."

Neither game is based on the movie. And you yourself just said that they're completely different: 

@StarFoxA said: 

"While there may be other differences, like the story and the way the game is controlled (which is natural, considering the nature of the Wii), it really looks like they're both based on the same movie... which they are."

So the story is different, and the controls are different... but you still think they're the same game? So, should Mario Galaxy and Mario Bros 3 share a page, too? I mean, their stories are different, their graphics are different and their controls are different, but they're based on the same concept (Italian plumber jumps on dudes) from the same person (Shigeru Miyamoto). 
 
@StarFoxA said:
" @papuccino1: Based on the videos I watched... there's a lot more in common than the game title. You said the setting was different, but it really isn't. They both appear to take place in an Arabian setting, with similar third-person action. They may control differently, but they looked pretty similar to me. "
All Prince of Persia titles take place in Middle-Eastern settings, and feature similar third-person action. However, none of them are set in the same locations, with exactly the same gameplay. That's why they're different games, with different pages.
#40 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -
@Icemael: I've already stated my broad reasoning multiple times now. There shouldn't be a precedent for multiple pages for the same game. This is just a case where there are different versions of the same game. I don't know enough about either game to argue specific details.
#41 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

The Wii version now has a new page. Check it out here and fill it in! 
 
Googling alongside reading what was presented in this topic genuinely does paint a picture that the Wii version is a totally different enough experience to be considered a different game to the alternative versions of the game on offer.