Sports stars as characters - your thoughts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By danielkempster

First off, this isn't a delete request per se, more a discussion to get people's opinions about this issue. If this is the wrong place for it, could the mods move it to another forum? This just seems like the most logical place for it, as what I'm about to say is really regarding a possible deletion.

Basically, I've noticed that a lot of sports stars have their own character page. Some of these, I'm fine with. For example, Tony Hawk has his own character page, which makes sense to me as he's in all the Tony Hawk skateboarding games. I don't have a problem with this, because each game only features a handful of real-world skaters.

What I'm not convinced by is the inclusion of the likes of football and soccer players. Case in point, the Chelsea soccer player Scott Sinclair has his own character page. I can see where the people who submit these pages are coming from, but at the same time, devoting a page to every football player or soccer star seems insane. After all, a lot of these sports games have databases containing thousands of players.

My opinion on the matter is that sports stars shouldn't have their own page unless the games they star in only feature a limited roster (like Tony Hawk) or they are cover stars (players who endorse games by appearing on the box art, like Tiger Woods and Ronaldinho). Like it says, though, this is intended to be the start of a discussion. What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By samcotts
Link.

Jeff has already made it clear, athletes are allowed to have character pages, just not Person pages, unless they have been credited in a game.

He also expressed his love for me in the same thread :D
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Yes. The almighty Jeff has already voiced his opinion on this topic. Spread the word.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Daniel

organizational bump