This is a good example of a Wiki entry that shouldn't exist

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By mike
breton said:
"I still don't understand how you're completely ignoring the fact that all the images aren't official. Whether it's real or not is irrelevant. It's still all based on rumor."
Everything goes back to that one story on Gamasutra which is nothing more than a series of guesses surrounding a gallery of screenshots that may or may not have come from Ensemble.  It's laughable at worst, grasping at straws at best.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of games that enter the concept stage and never go any further than that, and for good reason.  Are we to allow Wiki pages for all of these scrapped ideas, too?  This whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion because of the HALO aspect of this alleged "game".   If there were a few unconfirmed screenshots of a Barbie Horse Adventures MMO, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...the page would have simply been deleted.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By mattbodega
Patchinko said:
"Lies said:
"MB said:
"Patchinko said:
"The usefulness of a Wiki is reduced when entries are removed needlessly.

That page should exist and should have more information in it, particularly about how it was a secret project that was in development until Ensemble was shut down, and how images of it were available on an online artist's portfolio page linked from Ensemble itself.

There isinformation about this out there. If this is truly a Wiki of all things videogame, this should have a page.

I'm not sure why you people think limiting the relevant information in this database is a good thing. If you think this site shouldn't be a place to look up things like the failed "Halo MMO" project for information about it, you're truly limiting the scope of this site and, as I said earlier, reducing its usefulness."
Do you think there should be a page for Infinity Ward's next Call of Duty game?"
That's not a valid comparison MB. There is no information period about COD6, except the assumption that it is probably coming. With the HALO MMO, we know it was under development at Ensemble before it shut down, we have concept art and UI mockups, and some small dev leaks. The comparison to COD6 just doesn't really hold."
Yeah, his argument is that he doesn't believe the screenshots or evidence for the project present in the article (and numerous others). Given the plethora of information and evidence about this, I can't agree with him on it.

A gallery of images/concept art for the game.

This is utterly different from the COD6 page.

And if you want to be a stickler about what Jeff says, just ask him if it should be deleted. Making the blanket, "This is a good example of a Wiki entry that shouldn't exist" statement when you don't know if it should or shouldn't exist is wrong of you, especially with that little "Moderator" tag under your name. Your OPINION is that it shouldn't exist. I don't see an official statement from the horse's mouth here."
Lies and Patchinko are dead on. We know the Halo MMO was canced, and we don't know the name of the next Call of Duty game. People creating entires for games that don't exist yet...that seems absolutly crazy. Should I go create the Halo 5 page? Mass Effect 2? As far as I'm conerned, there shoudn't be a page on that new Kotor game untill Bioware and LucasArts anounces it.
But these are past games that we know were in development and then cancled. They are historically important in the ongoing development of video gaming as a medium.  Film historians know about movies and scripts that never made if off the ground, and writers celebrate works of fiction that are incomplete and never intended for publishing. These projects should be catalouged. If anything this Halo MMO should just be titled "Ensemble Halo MMO", with an aditional marker to note whether a game was cancled, or something to that effect.
I mean, there is a Thrill Kill  page. That game was made, cancled, and turned into Wu Tang- Shaolin Style.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By mike
MattBodega said:
We know the Halo MMO was canced, 
No, we don't know that at all.  We don't know if the game was ever officially in production or was just in the concept stage.  If the game was in full production, we certainly don't know if it was cancelled or was moved to another development studio.  We know nothing about it outside of a page of unconfirmed screenshots.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Patchinko
breton said:
"Patchinko said:
"I mean, Starcraft: Ghost's page existing and having a great deal of info in it isn't precedent enough for keeping this page for you? Or do you think Starcraft: Ghost's page should be deleted?
Starcraft: Ghost was officially announced, and officially canceled."
Patchinko said:
"(Correct answer on that, by the way, would probably be "They aren't comparable" because Starcraft: Ghost was even playable at E3 before it got canned. But the comparison is closer than the comparison between this and COD6.)"

Don't pull that same "convenient quoting" bullshit you were pulling in other threads yesterday, breton. I covered my ass there.

This game wasn't a "rumor". And if there were a scrapped project called "Barbie Horse Adventures MMO" with concept art linked from the developer of it and a great deal of evidence that it existed, why shouldn't it exist? The only reason I can fathom is because you don't want this to be a Wiki of all things videogame.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By mattbodega
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By breton
MattBodega said:
"I mean, there is a Thrill Kill  page. That game was made, cancled, and turned into Wu Tang- Shaolin Style."
Why don't you people understaaaaaaaaaaaand? Thrill Kill was an official game, set for release, but then canceled. The Halo MMO is a rumor that sprung up from some images dubbed 'concept art'. It was never a game. Canceled titles are listed here. Rumors are not.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mike
MattBodega said:
"The same Gamasutra article you mentioned earlier is titled Ensemble Canceled Project was Halo MMO. That sounds like a cancellation to me."

Are you being serious?  That's a third-party website which can hardly be taken as confirmation of a game's existence or cancellation.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By breton
Patchinko said:
Don't pull that same "convenient quoting" bullshit you were pulling in other threads yesterday, breton. I covered my ass there.
To be honest, I didn't even read that part, because I just tried to get in a quick edit response after I replied to Lies.

And it doesn't matter if if it was playable or not. It's the fact that blizzard said "This is a fucking game. We're making it." Halo MMO is a bunch of fans seeing some art and saying "Dude, Halo MMO!"
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Patchinko
MB said:
"MattBodega said:
"The same Gamasutra article you mentioned earlier is titled Ensemble Canceled Project was Halo MMO. That sounds like a cancellation to me."

Are you being serious?  That's a third-party website which can hardly be taken as confirmation of a game's existence or cancellation."
And these concepts were all fan art?

What is the resistance to making this a wiki of all things videogame? Answer me that one, seriously. Even were this a rumor (which it wasn't), with the heaps of concept art and evidence, you don't feel that justifies it having a page? You want people to go to other sites for that information?
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By breton
Patchinko said:
"What is the resistance to making this a wiki of all things videogame?
Again. Write about the rumor in the franchise page. I'd rather GiantBomb being a credible source than a "shit anything onto this site" site.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mattbodega

Giant Bomb is a third party website that commented on the story. Ryan Davis remarked that "Microsoft and Ensemble have yet to comment on the authenticity of the shots, and the sourcing is a little sketchy, but all of the shots are highly evocative of the Halo aesthetic even when they're not canonical, and the sheer volume of concept art and mock-ups suggests they're legit."
If the guys upstairs think the project was legit, then I imagine their + 32 years of gaming coverage means it legit.
So a rumor of an unannounced game may be legit. Should it be on the site?
I see MB's and Breton's point and, more specifically, their fear. Lord knows I don't want Giant Bomb turning into a rumor encyclopedia.  But I'd don't want to ignore important projects, projects that are vital in the documentation of the medium, to be lost because they were no't officially announced.
Also, no need to be so hostile MB. If I came across as rude in my earlier comment, I apologize, but there is no need to turn the heat up in the forum.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By shotaro
LordAndrew said:
"I think a brief mention of the Halo MMO in the franchise article is all that's needed. It was never named, it was never officially announced."
I think you're onto something there Andrew - that seems like the best idea

No press release = no page.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Patchinko
MattBodega said:
"Giant Bomb is a third party website that commented on the story. Ryan Davis remarked that "Microsoft and Ensemble have yet to comment on the authenticity of the shots, and the sourcing is a little sketchy, but all of the shots are highly evocative of the Halo aesthetic even when they're not canonical, and the sheer volume of concept art and mock-ups suggests they're legit."
If the guys upstairs think the project was legit, then I imagine their + 32 years of gaming coverage means it legit.
I see MB's and Breton's point and, more specifically, their fear. Lord knows I don't want Giant Bomb turning into a rumor encyclopedia.  But I'd don't want to ignore important projects, projects that are vital in the documentation of the medium, to be lost because they were no't officially announced.
Also, no need to be so hostile MB. If I came across as rude in my earlier comment, I apologize, but there is no need to turn the heat up in the forum."
Well said,  and I can see their point also. I completely agree about COD6, for example.

But in this case, this isn't just a "rumor". Those aren't "fan art". The team that was developing this game existed. The game existed, albeit in early infancy. If a new classification for pages needs to be made to make room for relevant information on the Wiki, by all means make it. But stifling the content of the site by being that rigid is only reducing the value of the site all together.

breton
said:
"Patchinko said:
Again. Write about the rumor in the franchise page. I'd rather GiantBomb being a credible source than a "shit anything onto this site" site.
"
Dude, if you can't take the time to even read the entire post you're responding to, what makes you think someone will want to have a discussion with you? Stop cherry-picking posts.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By Lies
Shotaro said:
"LordAndrew said:
"I think a brief mention of the Halo MMO in the franchise article is all that's needed. It was never named, it was never officially announced."

No press release = no page."
HALO franchise page is broken and uneditable.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By breton
MattBodega said:
Ryan Davis remarked that "Microsoft and Ensemble have yet to comment on the authenticity of the shots, and the sourcing is a little sketchy, but all of the shots are highly evocative of the Halo aesthetic even when they're not canonical, and the sheer volume of concept art and mock-ups suggests they're legit."
I don't care what Ryan Davis said. Get him in here, and let him tell me "This is 100% a game. There's no rumor about this. Despite Ensemble or Microsoft giving no word on it, it's totally official. Art linked to a game developer's page is total reason for any doubt to be wrong."

Patchinko said:
"Dude, if you can't take the time to even read the entire post you're responding to, what makes you think someone will want to have a discussion with you? Stop cherry-picking posts."
I read your whole post. I'm just not the kind of guy that quotes full bodies of text, quotes of quotes, and quotes of quotes quotes. When I'm only going to speak about one part of your post, because the rest of it doesn't really matter to me, then I'm not going to quote the whole thing.

Or is this better for you:
Patchinko said:
"MattBodega said:
"Giant Bomb is a third party website that commented on the story. Ryan Davis remarked that "Microsoft and Ensemble have yet to comment on the authenticity of the shots, and the sourcing is a little sketchy, but all of the shots are highly evocative of the Halo aesthetic even when they're not canonical, and the sheer volume of concept art and mock-ups suggests they're legit."
Also, no need to be so hostile MB. If I came across as rude in my earlier comment, I apologize, but there is no need to turn the heat up in the forum."
Well said,  and I can see their point also. I completely agree about COD6, for example.

But in this case, this isn't just a "rumor". Those aren't "fan art". The team that was developing this game existed. The game existed, albeit in early infancy. If a new classification for pages needs to be made to make room for relevant information on the Wiki, by all means make it. But stifling the content of the site by being that rigid is only reducing the value of the site all together.

breton
said:
"Patchinko said:
"
Dude, if you can't take the time to even read the entire post you're responding to, what makes you think someone will want to have a discussion with you? Stop cherry-picking posts."
?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By Karmum
Lies said:
"Karmum said:
"This should be deleted, the game was canned several weeks ago."
Yes, we're quite aware of this. The question is whether it should exist as an archive of what we knew of the project."
If we do this, then why doesn't Halo DS have it's own page? Because it never was officially announced.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Might as well have a MGS MMO page!

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By shotaro
Lies said:
"Shotaro said:
"LordAndrew said:

HALO franchise page is broken and uneditable."
forever?
or does it just need fixing?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#69  Edited By LordAndrew
Shotaro said:
"Lies said:
"Shotaro said:
"LordAndrew said:

HALO franchise page is broken and uneditable."
forever?
or does it just need fixing?"
I'm pretty sure it's a glitch. I don't think the staff have the ability to prevent articles from being edited.
trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By trulyalive

Surely, if you're going to write anything about it, it could get a brief mention in the Halo franchise page.
Same with COD6: There is currently another sequel to the Call of Duty franchise in development.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By Joker
MB said:
"Halo MMO

So...which user with live edit privileges wants to own up to creating this page?  Seriously guys, come on.  We went through this with the "Call of Duty 6" page.

(edited & moved to the Delete forum)"
It wasn't me! It was the one armed man!
Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By Carlos

Yeah at first I thought it should exist but after seeing your point of having 10000+ pages of pure rumors and cancelled games, I guess it should go :\

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#73  Edited By jeff

Deleted.

The rule here is that games that have been formally announced and later canceled can have pages. There's an actual paper trail there with factual info.

Rumored, unannounced, or games that were supposedly canceled before being shown to the public don't get pages because all of that info is founded in leaks and hearsay.

If we had pages for every project that made it to the concept art page but never went beyond that, we'd have three times as many game pages in the system and they'd all be useless.
RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#74  Edited By RenegadeSaint

If GB is to be a definitive video game Wiki, it needs to have pages like this.  I really think taking it down and removing all assets is a bad idea.  If the article clearly states that the game was canceled, what is so wrong with that?  At least it provides an appropriate place for the little information we have.  Now, we're going to have to continually edit other Halo pages as this info gets moved around.  Removing this page only hurts this site.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#75  Edited By jeff

We are not currently equipped to track down ghost stories or rumors and validate them. Perhaps there's some middle ground where we create a "rumored game" page type or something to that effect. But as far as we know, the Halo MMO could have just as easily leaked out from someone inside Ensemble wanting to play a practical joke on the world by inventing a game that was never in development and posting it on his art portfolio. For all we know the guy that made those could have just been messing around in his spare time with absolutely no backing from his employer. And since the chances of someone going on the record about this concept art seem to be quite slim, we'll probably never know for sure.

Jumping to conclusions by posting totally baseless information and claiming it as absolute fact hurts the site even more.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By Rowr

the idea of a section for rumoured or scrapped games sounds good.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By OGCartman
Jeff said:
"We are not currently equipped to track down ghost stories or rumors and validate them. Perhaps there's some middle ground where we create a "rumored game" page type or something to that effect. But as far as we know, the Halo MMO could have just as easily leaked out from someone inside Ensemble wanting to play a practical joke on the world by inventing a game that was never in development and posting it on his art portfolio. For all we know the guy that made those could have just been messing around in his spare time with absolutely no backing from his employer. And since the chances of someone going on the record about this concept art seem to be quite slim, we'll probably never know for sure.
Jumping to conclusions by posting totally baseless information and claiming it as absolute fact hurts the site even more.
"
Totally agreed.

Although i think if a game was official, say they announced Halo 4 officialy then cancelled it, it could have a page with a big CANCELLED at top. Im pretty sure quite a few gaming sites do that.
xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#78  Edited By xymox

In one way having no canceled games at all would be good, as why have information on games that don't exist?
But it could also be useful to find out that hey, that game totally got canned. The current system makes sense.

Having a rumor mill / speculation section could be pretty useful indeed.

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By breton
Rowr said:
"the idea of a section for rumoured or scrapped games sounds good."
We already list scrapped games, and a "rumor" section seems ridiculous to me. It would just serve to fill up the site with useless things.
Cartman said:
"it could have a page with a big CANCELLED at top"
I'm sure if you read a canceled game's wiki, you'll find the fact to be mentioned somewhere within - probably even the blurb.
Xymox said:
"In one way having no canceled games at all would be good"
Lots of games were officially announced and went through significant development time before being canceled. There are several mentioned in this topic. In that respect, the games were being covered long before it's cancellation, possibly even in a final build state.. and deleting all that information seems silly.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By Jensonb

Welcome to Wikipedia Town :(

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mike
MB said:
Everything goes back to that one story on Gamasutra which is nothing more than a series of guesses surrounding a gallery of screenshots that may or may not have come from Ensemble.  It's laughable at worst, grasping at straws at best.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of games that enter the concept stage and never go any further than that, and for good reason.  Are we to allow Wiki pages for all of these scrapped ideas, too?  This whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion because of the HALO aspect of this alleged "game".   If there were a few unconfirmed screenshots of a Barbie Horse Adventures MMO, we wouldn't even be having this discussion...the page would have simply been deleted.
Jeff said:
"Deleted.
The rule here is that games that have been formally announced and later canceled can have pages. There's an actual paper trail there with factual info.

Rumored, unannounced, or games that were supposedly canceled before being shown to the public don't get pages because all of that info is founded in leaks and hearsay.

If we had pages for every project that made it to the concept art page but never went beyond that, we'd have three times as many game pages in the system and they'd all be useless.
"
Jeff said:
"We are not currently equipped to track down ghost stories or rumors and validate them. Perhaps there's some middle ground where we create a "rumored game" page type or something to that effect. But as far as we know, the Halo MMO could have just as easily leaked out from someone inside Ensemble wanting to play a practical joke on the world by inventing a game that was never in development and posting it on his art portfolio. For all we know the guy that made those could have just been messing around in his spare time with absolutely no backing from his employer. And since the chances of someone going on the record about this concept art seem to be quite slim, we'll probably never know for sure.
"