Various Duplicates/Errors

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By thebeast

Problems compiled by the moderators - thanks all:

Incorrectly Categorized

Duplicates

Rename

Questionable Stuff

Old Stuff

Broken Sword 2.5 - Fan-game - copyright infringement  -------------> Daniel: Deleted
Post Apocalypse - already exists as a theme -----> Daniel: I think it's a pretty good concept too
Recurring Character - strangely enough, characters tend to recurr in games. (Just saw the updated blurb on this - which now makes more sense - a rename could be considered though - TheBeast)  -----> Daniel: Any ideas on a rename? I can't think of one.
Development Hell - calling for flame wars and subjective opinions ------> Daniel: If people want to get into arguments about what games went through development "Hell," then, at least they're doing it on our site. We'll moderate those wars as they appear.

Unbeatable Games - Either should be covered under Sandbox, or renamed to Open-Ended.  -----> Daniel: I actually like this concept. I think Sandbox concept games specifically refer to games like GTA, while Unbeatable Games are a broader category
Motion Control - should be covered by platform?  ----> Daniel: Easier to have it for a concept. We can do platform specific later and scratch the concept if necessary.
Sewer - not a specific location?   ------> Daniel: I think this works just generally as Sewer
Dream - might work as a concept -----> Daniel: I'll make a concept page for "Dream Sequence" then delete this location page.
Stomach- not a specific location?  -----> Daniel: I'd say a general location is fine, won't be in many games anyway.
Prison- not a specific location?   -----> Daniel: Only 14 games are attached at this point, if it really starts to grow we'll monitor and see if specific prison locations are necessary. I'd imagine, though, that in games the prisons are generic.
Unnamed Middle Eastern/Muslim Country - If we don't know the location, why list it? Also, there's already a Nameless Location concept  ----> Daniel: I actually think this is a great concept page, as it's normally some unknown Middle Eastern country that you as the character are invading. I think it's very clever. If anything, the Nameless Location concept page will be deleted. I won't for now, as I want to see what people do with it over time. If it looks too much like this page, then it's gone.
Hit Points - too similar to health?   ------> Daniel: I think this one is genre specific enough to warrant its own page. Take COD4, for example, you can get shot up several times but recover, it's not your health, but its not quite your hit points in the spirit of games like Final Fantasy, where hit points are specific.

For Jeff to Decide:

Touch Interface - should this be covered by its usage on a certain platform?
Xbox Live - shouldn't this be covered by either Multiplayer, or the fact it's on the Xbox? If it's acceptable, do we need articles for PSN etc.?
Driving - similar to the genre?
Alternate History - already exists as theme
Easy Mode - covered by Difficulty level?
Easy Achivements - Useful? Or covered by achivements?
Viral Achievement - Is this unique enough to warrant it's own article? If so, spelling needs correcting.
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Daniel

Holy hell, I'll get to this in a little bit ; )

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Daniel

btw, solid work dude!

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thebeast
daniel said:
"btw, solid work dude!"
Haha all the mods have been compiling them, sorry to dump it all on you at once!
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daniel

TheBeast, I'm deleting them as I go through. Feel free to keep adding more as they come up. Thanks

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daniel

I would have kept them all on there and just put (Fixed) next to them, but I had already started deleting, so I'm just gonna keep deleting. Trust that I'm deleting the right ones, I'm not blindly going through them or anything, I'm deleting/merging as they should be. I will keep the ones that may require some discussion.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thebeast

No problem Daniel, thanks for sorting them out!
Let me know your/the staff's comments on the questionable ones - I have no idea how they should be treated.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thebeast

Thanks for the great work and comments Daniel - nice to see some of those concept pages are wanted!
A lot of those were put together when we weren't sure whether a concept should be an article, or an 'attribute' for a game. Now we're sure that GB is going for the encyclopaedia approach, it's great to see a load of really interesting concepts pop up.
A couple of notes though:
Recurring Character - If this is referring to the Cid-concept, perhaps Recurring Character Name would be more descriptive. If it's trying to be broader and referring to places where a character might appear in games other than their original franchise, then the original name is fine.
Unbeatable Games - Would a better name for this not be Open-Ended? I suppose there are some games that are unbeatable but not open ended though - so it's probably fine as it is.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daniel

Thanks for your great work compiling this list TheBeast,

Recurring Character: As I understand this concept, it seems like it's for characters that keep popping up in a series, OR ones that happen to reach across different franchises (don't know of any off the top of my head though)
Unbeatable Games: I think this title gets the point across better than "Open Ended" does. Some people may interpret Open Ended as just not having a clearly defined ending, where I see it as being games that purposely have no ending, and thus no way of beating it. For games like the Sims franchise, and purely online games, Unbeatable is an understandable title. Open ended is too, but I think users would use Open Ended in a much too liberal way. This is just my opinion, of course.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daniel

Also, I've made this thread pinned to the forum, so it's up at the top for now. This will make it easy for me to get requests directly from the mods. Please though, let's make sure that a collection from either you or one of the other mods once in awhile (like you did with this past list), not a bunch of individual ones constantly, it'll be much easier on both you and I that way.

Thanks dude. And keep up the good work. I've emailed Jeff regarding some of the Questionable Stuff from the list.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

I just saw it listed in here, but as the one that originally submitted the "Dream" location page, I'm not sure why that it couldn't qualify as a proper location.  "Dream Sequence" certainly doesn't fit a game like Eternal Sonata when the vast majority of the game is actually set within a character's dream.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thebeast

Updated with a few other things - we're not coming across as much at the moment!
I've left your comments from the other day in there because they're really useful to have, and I've moved Jeff's stuff up.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daniel

TheBeast,

Great work, as always. I'm gonna try to get to some of the week old requests that have been largely overlooked by me this whole time, then I'll get to newer stuff, including these. Thanks!

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#14  Edited By JackiJinx

This might be quite a stretch, but I googled Pia Fajelagutan and found this video of a wishlist. The only information I could go on from the user profile of the person who edited the article the most was that his alignment was Sony, and the video was recorded on a PS3. Stretchy, but might be worth talking to the user about.

KensterFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By KensterFox
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daniel

Updated as of now! Thanks!

JackiJinx....

Not quite sure what you meant by your post, could you elaborate?

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thebeast

He's referring to my comment on the Pia Fajelagutan article in the original post.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daniel

Ahh...oh yeah that list up top, haha. I need to go through those, I thought this was another thread where users put the issues that needed to be fixed in new reply messages, I forgot about the master list. getting to it right now!

JerryArr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By JerryArr
Summerslam and Wrestlemania should be concepts, not locations.  This would be like calling the Super Bowl a location.
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daniel

done

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Schizoid
Battlefield 2142 is a dupe, the other 2142 page is already fleshed out so it's alright to get rid of this one.

Not exactly sure if I'm meant to post this in this thread, but oh well.
Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Doogie2K

There are two "Penguins" concept pages: one is about the animals; the other about the hockey team.  I think latter should be renamed "Pittsburgh Penguins" to avoid confusion, and to be made consistent with the three other hockey-team pages currently in existence.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daniel

done

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By KamasamaK

There is a duplicate release of the US DS version of Final Fantasy IV. The one with less information should be removed. I hope this is the right thread.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daniel

done, thanks!

Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Doogie2K

Wow, that was prompt.  I refreshed my list after an hour of editing and poof, it'd changed.  And everything I asked for was approved right away, too.  Good stuff, GB staff. :)

Jason_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jason_Miami

I'd like an admin or mod to please delete Shadow Harvest from the Metal Gear franchise? I don't know why someone thought it belonged there.

Thank you

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By risseless

Done. =)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew

And I removed the other two franchises that the game is not a part of.

But next time, could you post those in a separate thread? This thread is here so the moderators can bring certain pages to the attention of the admins.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Gump

This must be deleted!

• http://www.giantbomb.com/gattling-gun/93-455/
  • http://www.giantbomb.com/theater/93-1417/

Thanks!
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By Endogene
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Endogene
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By peewi
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By roushimsx
Endogene said:
"the following game pages are all duplicates
http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-new-generation/61-22283/
http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-double-impact/61-654/"
Double Impact is the sequel to New Generation much like how Third Strike is the sequel to Double Impact. Perhaps as Dreamcast games they'd be considered duplicates (since DI and NG were released together), but they are quite separate arcade releases with their fair share of differences.

Capcom is well known to do sequels within the same numbered series in addition to firmware upgrades that address particular issues. For instance, they released three different versions of Street Fighter II' Champion Edition over a six month period in the US before finally releasing Hyper Fighting towards the tail end of the year.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Endogene
roushimsx said:
"Endogene said:
"the following game pages are all duplicates
http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-new-generation/61-22283/
http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-double-impact/61-654/"
Double Impact is the sequel to New Generation much like how Third Strike is the sequel to Double Impact. Perhaps as Dreamcast games they'd be considered duplicates (since DI and NG were released together), but they are quite separate arcade releases with their fair share of differences.

Capcom is well known to do sequels within the same numbered series in addition to firmware upgrades that address particular issues. For instance, they released three different versions of Street Fighter II' Champion Edition over a six month period in the US before finally releasing Hyper Fighting towards the tail end of the year."
Actually the pages they are duplicates from already cover the arcade version and the dream cast version (well they mention it, most of the street fighter pages are far from complete)

http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-new-generation/61-21948/
duplicate: http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-new-generation/61-22283/

http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-2nd-impact/61-22305/
duplicate: http://www.giantbomb.com/street-fighter-iii-double-impact/61-654/"

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By roushimsx
Endogene said:
Actually the pages they are duplicates from already cover the arcade version and the dream cast version (well they mention it, most of the street fighter pages are far from complete)
You know I love you, right?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Endogene
roushimsx said:
"Endogene said:
You know I love you, right?"
  I have fond memories of that cookie.
gman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gman

Street Fighters deleted.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Deusoma

I'm not sure how it happened, but there are two separate pages for Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.
http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-voyager-elite-force/61-21492/
http://www.giantbomb.com/star-trek-voyager-elite-force/61-11187/

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Endogene
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#42  Edited By JackiJinx

Two pages for Wedding Dash

One
Two

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Endogene
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Endogene
gman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gman

I've updated these except for the Shimigami and Soul Reaper one.  Does anyone else want to chime in on this?  I've recently started reading the Death Note manga and Shimigami's are used there as Death Gods.  There's a whole race of them.  I'm only on the first book of Bleach (need...more...time!) but from what I've seen, the soul reapers seem different.  I'm not claiming to be an expert so I'm curious as to what others think before wiping one out.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By AkumaX

There's a page called "Marble Blast".

To the best of my knowledge there isn't such a game, just Marble Blast Gold. It lists the same platforms as MBG and then links to it as "Similar".

Bad page needs deletion. Maybe someone meant to make a franchise page, I'm not sure. Basically what needs to be done is to delete Marble Blast (Game) and create a Marble Blast (Franchise) page.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By roushimsx
AkumaX said:
"There's a page called "Marble Blast".

To the best of my knowledge there isn't such a game, just Marble Blast Gold. It lists the same platforms as MBG and then links to it as "Similar"."
Marble Blast was the original release. Marble Blast Gold is the "sequel" and Marble Blast Ultra is the most recent iteration of the franchise.

• Now, I haven't played Gold, so I can't verify if it's actually a sequel or what; given that they offer an upgrade from Marble Blast, it might just be the original game + 30ish new levels (so like, almost 50% new content).
  • Here's the press release on the XBLA release.
  • You can order the original Marble Blast  game from Amazon.
  • Sadly, the original page from GarageGames doesn't seem to be up anymore, but there's an archived copy here.
It'd be neat if someone more familiar with the series could better expand the entries a bit to highlight the differences, but I guess I'll do some google work and see what I can add.

edit - what the hell? There's not a concept page for the Torque Engine yet? Inexcusable!
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Endogene
grim reaper character page for the guitar hero reaper should be deleted since he is actually called Grim Ripper (the page already existed)
(if they renamed him grim reaper in the later game just add that to aliases)
ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By ninjadodo
gman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gman

Looks like people have been adding Grim Reaper to other games that actually feature a Grim Reaper.  Perhaps the description could be changed to reflect that rather than just delete the page?  Any thoughts on that?

Merging pages is a bit...trickier.