Which old system's style would you like to see more of?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

There's already been a bunch of NES-inspired games this year:

And a heap from previous years:

Also, Super Win The Game is coming out in a couple of months.

So, aside from the NES, which system's style would you like to see represented more? Personally, I want to see more DOS-style (CGA or EGA) games like MURI and the original You Have to Win The Game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I want new games that look new and play new, even if they take some inspiration from older games.

Games like Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami do a fantastic job of this.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

I'd like something inspired by Descent, ('95-'99) it was and still is pretty unique in the world of first-person shooters.

As an addon to that, anything inspired by the mid-'90s mech genre (MechWarrior, EarthSiege/StarSeige) would also be rad. I guess Heavy Gear deserves a mention too, I had fun with those.

So basically, the mid-to-late 90s sci-fi piloting genre on the PC? By extension I suppose this includes TIE Fighter, which I'd be remiss to forget

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

90s PC stuff (both FPS and RPG).

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Hunter5024

Pre-rendered Backgrounds.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pre-rendered Backgrounds.

Now that you mention it, there really haven't been any games using pre-rendered backgrounds in long ass time. I always liked the unique look of games with pre-rendered backgrounds such as Resident Evil and many PS1 RPGs. With the advances made in CGI and the fact that modern polygonal models won't look nearly as out of place as they did back then, I bet there could be some genuinely great looking games done in that style.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

For some reason I've been thinking positively about load screens in the old Tony Hawk games where they go quiet. I don't know why. Most loading screens now have music or sounds playing during the loading screen. I think it's good that games have moved away from that but there was something to that quiet moment of reflection.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I would like to see people try, at least, to make N64-looking games. But in the stylized way, to avoid the whole outdated proto-realism effect. Banjo-Kazooie rather than Shadows of the Empire, let's say.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12