• 183 results
#1 Edited by MB (12247 posts) -

Figured it might be a good idea to have one central place on the forums where everyone can talk about the new feature. We'll see how this goes, but hopefully we can cut down on the number of duplicate threads.

I had a ton of fun watching the stream and I was actually impressed by how well Brad was doing, even if he was playing on "easy mode" with a Royal.

What do you think? Are you a Demon's Souls vet? Any opinion on Brad's class selection or what direction he should take as he goes through the game?

Episode 1 Stats

Description & Progress Made:

In this inaugural episode, Brad took his first steps into the world of Demon's Souls playing as a Royalty named Floogan. After a jaunt through the tutorial, Floogan ventured into Boletarian Palace (1-1) where he rescued the knight Ostrava, unlocked his first shortcut, and met a pair of fire-breathing dragons.(@savage)

Deaths: 2

Quotes:

Dark Lord Vinalaeus: "Remember when we got this game...and I tried to show you guys that I didn't understand anything that was happening...this was before the internet was invented."

Floogan: "I'm feeling kind of like an asshole playing this class. Also, I'm sort of inclined to use the sword anyway, because I like using swords. Oh, that seems like a real bad idea." (Uses magic)

Dark Lord Vinalaeus: "You don't know if those two dragons are friends...you don't know if you can ride one of them across the bridge. I'm just saying."

Highlight:

#2 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

1 death is way better than I was expecting. I've not played it but he did good.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

I think Brad's experience with Dark Souls really showed through. A lot of people give Brad crap for his skills at games, but they undervalue his dedication. Brad will likely start cursing a bit more in upcoming episodes as the difficulty ramps up, but I am confident that, at the end of the day, he will get further than he was at the beginning of each episode.

I appreciate Vinny as the Dark Lord on his shoulder, as well, and if he keeps up being that kind of helpful but also a bit devilish guide, I think this could really be an entertaining feature.

#4 Edited by ThunderSlash (1674 posts) -

I think it's hilarious that Vinny urges him to take risky actions.

Although Soul Arrow will be mostly viable throughout the whole game, he should probably start bringing along a melee weapon of choice. IIRC, upgraded weapons are really powerful later on.

Old Monk fight is gonna be dope!

#5 Posted by TheHT (11128 posts) -

Brad Shoemaker: Pro Parrier

#6 Posted by joshwent (2164 posts) -

I would appreciate a tally of Brad Rage Screams™ in the OP.

#7 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

@joshwent: give me the numbers and I'll keep it updated...GO!

#8 Posted by ripelivejam (3783 posts) -

he's playing it WRONG. even when he's playing it right he's playing it WRONG.

...do i fit in with the dark/demon's souls crowd yet? :(

#9 Posted by Sterling (2153 posts) -

Super looking forward to the next part. Once he gets past the first boss and can level/get invaded will be amazing.

#10 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4699 posts) -

I was impressed with how quickly he handled parries considering Brad says he "only" played about 10 hours or so of Dark Souls. There are some people who play these games now that don't have such a firm grasp on that one mechanic. I really do wonder what will happen when he inevitably runs into some PVP in the game. All in all I never entertained the idea that he'd only die once in this first part, but I'm glad he's killing it so far. Hopefully his success during this first stream won't lead to too much of an ego boost as pride definitely comes before a fall. Especially in a Souls game.

Random aside, Dark Lord Vinny has been great. I kept chuckling every time he tried to coax Brad into doing something by throwing a grain of truth into what he said. Considering Brad wants to go through this as blind as possible it's only going to get better from here on out. Hopefully Vinny can keep it up.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (14751 posts) -

My thoughts are the Royal is going to do him no good preeeetty early on. Soul Arrow remains a viable spell for a little while but the crazy one shotting like he is doing won't last long. And regarding the bridge... he is being TOO careful. You just gotta rush that area.

#12 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

I was really happy when Vinny started a Dark Souls feature. I am thrilled Patrick has picked up the game as well. I couldn't believe my god damn eyes when I saw Brad and Vinny were doing a Demon's Souls video. DREAM CONTENT.

#13 Edited by MB (12247 posts) -

Does anyone who played Demon's Souls feel like helping me out with a brief description of what happens in each episode? I played Dark but not Demon's, so I'm going to be lost as to what is going on most of the time. Just one or two sentences that can accompany the stats we're compiling for the feature.

#14 Posted by Yesiamaduck (996 posts) -

'yea that's a big shield' I laughed my ass off at that dick move from vinny.

#15 Edited by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

@mb: In terms of story or what exactly? I'm no subscriber but with this and Vinny's DaS videos I think these ones may push me over the edge (Try Jumping) in buying a sub. Really surprised they're doing DeS though since they just finished DaS and Patrick is also playing DaS himself. Furthermore, Jeff Green is ALSO doing a DaS run. It's crazy.

#16 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

@eroticfishcake: I meant more along the lines of something simple progression wise. Like..."Today, Floogan finished up in Anor Londo and managed defeat Ornstein & Smough." Just some kind of basic description to go along with the stats & quotes. You really should subscribe...maybe wait until there are one or two more episodes of this and then sub for a month and see if you like it?

#17 Posted by bushpusherr (777 posts) -

@mb: Do you mean episodes as like the areas of the game? As in, Brad is going through 1-1 right now? Or, an episode meaning an episode of Breaking Brad?

#18 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

@bushpusherr: Yeah I meant the episode number of this feature, there may be a more descriptive way of saying that though.

#19 Posted by Fattony12000 (7281 posts) -

I've owned Demon's Souls since launch and have yet to get past the character creator.

Maybe I'll get around to it this year.

Maybe.

Maybe.

#20 Edited by forkboy (1134 posts) -

he's playing it WRONG. even when he's playing it right he's playing it WRONG.

...do i fit in with the dark/demon's souls crowd yet? :(

No, you also need to demand that everyone who hasn't played these games does play them. Even after you've told them you tried them & didn't care for them.

#21 Posted by Honkalot (108 posts) -

Is this what the ?????????????????? feature was?

#22 Posted by two_socks (230 posts) -

Haven't seen it but this is making me think of subbing. Hope the Old Monk fight happens as it should!

#23 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

I don't get why people cheese the game with magic. It just never felt satisfying for me. Sure, you still have to deal with positioning as you would in melee but it always felt like swords were what this game was designed around. There's so much to learn and so much pay off when doing so.

Not that Brad is playing it 'wrong', it's just that it's better to learn that stuff early on when the game is easier, than be forced to learn it in the late game because you had such a huge crutch to start off with.

#24 Edited by MB (12247 posts) -

@vitor said:

... be forced to learn it in the late game because you had such a huge crutch to start off with.

It's ideal for Breaking Brad, though!

#25 Edited by Savage (321 posts) -

@mb: I wouldn't mind writing up brief descriptions of Brad's progression in each episode. I've completed Demon's Souls a couple times and I feel pretty familiar with it. Here's an example for the first episode:

In this inaugural episode, Brad took his first steps into the world of Demon's Souls playing as a Royalty named Floogan. After a jaunt through the tutorial, Floogan ventured into Boletarian Palace (1-1) where he rescued the knight Ostrava, unlocked his first shortcut, and met a pair of fire-breathing dragons.

@honkalot: Yep, the ?????????????????? feature was revealed to be Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls.

#26 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1560 posts) -

This feature is great!

#27 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

@savage: Thanks, I used it!

If anyone has any ideas for formatting this thing or stuff you want to see kept track of (or not) please let me know, or if you want to help in any way definitely send me a PM. I'm thinking if we stay on top of this stuff we could come up with something pretty funny and interesting at the end of Brad's...breaking.

#28 Edited by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Vinny drifting between actually good advice and misdirection is my favorite part of this feature.

#29 Edited by billymagnum (787 posts) -

i dont think brad's exactly terrible at games, but his whining is just unbearable for me. more so with multiplayer stuff with the gang (i.e. nidhogg/samuri gunn), he seems like a really bad sport and his temper shows. when everyone is smack talking and such he is the only person to me that doesnt come off as "its all in fun." i love how some of the guys can really get under his skin when he starts getting too serious though...im remembering a few times Patrick really got to him lol. in the breaking bad shows, i mainly show up for the other guys' commentary.

#30 Posted by golguin (3874 posts) -

I got a real kick out of this because I don't have a PS3 and I've never played Demon's Souls so it's all new to me. I've never sought out info about the game because I figured I'd own a PS3 at some point in time and play Demon's Souls then.

I really enjoyed the rage in the chat as people began to realize that Brad had some latent talent for the parry and riposte. He also had the uncanny ability to avoid and overcome situations that killed people dozens of times. Even Vinny sounded a bit perplexed by Brad's progress and lack of deaths.

#31 Edited by MB (12247 posts) -

@weltal said:

Vinny drifting between actually good advice and misdirection is my favorite part of this feature.

He's totally LARPing a Souls NPC.

#32 Posted by Honkalot (108 posts) -
#33 Posted by Scampbell (496 posts) -

Was certainly impressed with Brad's quick grasp of the game mechanics, such as parry and riposte and with the aid of magic, quick reactions and bullshit detector, I expect quick progress.

Magic is overpowered in Demon Souls and is unsurprisingly the basis for people speed running it. Still a totally valid choice and it certainly won't prevent me from enjoying this series.

#34 Posted by SunBroZak (1077 posts) -

Vinny urging Brad to go over and meet the dragons, only for him to look over and see the charred corpses, was pretty hilarious. I hope he sticks with it. It'll definitely test his patience in some of the later areas. Those Mind Flayers were a pain in the backside.

#35 Posted by hollitz (1500 posts) -

50% of Brad's deaths were caused by Vinny trickery.

Vinny picked the right ending for his Dark Souls playthrough.

#36 Edited by psylah (2170 posts) -

Brad is good at games.

His usual overly-careful, conservative playstyle will go far in the Souls universe. Save those resources, take your time going around that corner, it'll pay off in the long run.

#37 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Wow. A feature on GB that might make me give in and finally get a sub.

Nice to see that Demon's Souls is finally getting some appreciation from the main staff considering the cold, uniformed reception it got when it came out and it only took 5 years.

Next stop, Jeff. Though I think there's a bigger chance for a rock to start barking before he learns to appreciate that little niche genre.

#38 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Demon's Souls is pretty easy up until Flamelurker, but for its time it was tough. If Brad stumbles into Warding he basically can clear the whole game without dying except for one boss.

#39 Posted by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

I hope they don't accidentally release Yurt, the silent chief on the Nexus. It would be kind of funny, but that could be game ending.

#40 Edited by Torabi (49 posts) -

I am disappointed in the lack of deaths after watching him play Volgarr the Viking. I hope his wand stops being useful real soon. Glad I can watch this since even though I love the load up our last souls series I can't watch it since I'd like to complete Dark Souls myself instead of spoiling the whole game.

#41 Posted by development (2236 posts) -

Demon's Souls is pretty easy up until Flamelurker, but for its time it was tough. If Brad stumbles into Warding he basically can clear the whole game without dying except for one boss.

Is Warding (and its better version) really that good? Those are spells I just never got around to using. Same with Dark Souls' "Iron Flesh." After seeing Vinny steamroll everything I'm left wondering if it's as ridiculous in Demon's Souls. Guess I could always just start it up and check...

#42 Edited by cloudymusic (1103 posts) -

Brad is too hard on himself about picking Royalty. Even though it's a little easier at the start and Soul Arrow is really handy, the game is in no way "easy mode" because of it. Brad acts like he's just turned the game into Kirby's Epic Yarn or something.

I also love absolutely everything about Vinny's "coaching" style.

#43 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@development: Warding reduces all physical damage taken by 75% and lasts for like a minute; it also doesn't slow you down or anything, Warding + Blueblood sword + the best enchantment = dead everything except Flamelurker. Iron Flesh got nerfed as well, used to be much more ridiculous, assuming Vinny played the live version.

@cloudymusic: He picked Royal? What a puss.

#44 Edited by cloudymusic (1103 posts) -
@two_socks said:

Haven't seen it but this is making me think of subbing. Hope the Old Monk fight happens as it should!

With a Giant Bomb user filling the role of the Old Monk? If enough of us hang out in that area at the right time, the odds should be pretty good.

@recspec said:

I hope they don't accidentally release Yurt, the silent chief on the Nexus. It would be kind of funny, but that could be game ending.

I'm sort of terrified that Brad is going to actually attack Stockpile Thomas or the blacksmith at some point. He's had some close calls already.

#45 Posted by senrat (320 posts) -

The first level was never going to be a problem. Its when he has to deal with fucked targeting and a bad framerate at level 3 that things might get interesting.

#46 Posted by development (2236 posts) -

@development: Warding reduces all physical damage taken by 75% and lasts for like a minute; it also doesn't slow you down or anything, Warding + Blueblood sword + the best enchantment = dead everything except Flamelurker. Iron Flesh got nerfed as well, used to be much more ridiculous, assuming Vinny played the live version.

@cloudymusic: He picked Royal? What a puss.

He did, but it was still a little too OP, it seemed. It seems like the straight up *best* way to defeat the twin chimera guardians in the DLC. I tried so many other strategies and just got annihilated at every turn, and I'm no beginner; then Vinny rolls in there with Havel and Iron Flesh and takes them down immediately. Iron Flesh should be an easy fallback for the beginning of the game, but you'd think they'd encourage you to employ some real strategy later on.

And it's Brad. Don't blame him for picking Royalty. Besides, it's more fun, and we want him to actually play the game more than once.

#47 Edited by RonGalaxy (3094 posts) -

@mb you forgot the only quote that matters

Vinny: "MAKE THE MAGIC OUT OF YOUR ARM GO"

Edit: Also...

Brad: "make the healing grass in my mouth... thing.. happen"

#48 Posted by ShaggE (6415 posts) -

As a guy in a similar position as Brad (played some Dark Souls, never so much as seen Demon's Souls), I'm loving Vinny's trickery, as I never know when he's bullshitting either.

Also, I'd love for Brad to just tear through this game and uncover some weird hidden talent for Demon's Souls.

#49 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@development: Personally I thought Iron Flesh was cheap so I never employed it; haven't tried it since the nerf. The only time I ever used Iron Flesh was with a very standard character (25 stats in everything basically, my first, experimental character designed to not be overpowered but to be able to try most things; which is how I'll play Dark Souls II with the first toon as well though naturally focusing on melee) which simply couldn't fight Four Kings reliably in NG+, because as lame as Iron Flesh is Four Kings is even lamer (though still not as lame as Maneater).

But for stuff like Gwyn you're just missing out on a huge part of the fight if you do it with Iron Flesh or with Parrying, but thankfully with the DLC there were a bunch of Gwyn caliber fights that didn't have as much of a weakness to those. For the twin guardians you either need to be powerful or employ something cheap or both, but it isn't mandatory of course.

For Demon's Souls there's a lot of random things you could stumble into to make the game a lot easier and one of them is that first choice; even if you picked the Master Key in Dark Souls (who wouldn't?) you still have to go through the process of figuring out where and how to use it to your benefit. When you pick up the Dark Silver Shield in Demon's Souls it's not going to be particularly hard to figure out how insanely good it is, but the Hollow Soldier Shield at launch was more abstract in its overpoweredness and the Eagle Shield was in a fairly obscure spot.

#50 Edited by groin (845 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: It's interesting to see different approaches to melee builds in the souls games. I always play melee but I never play a tanky character. You can easily avoid all damage from the 4-kings with properly timed rolls. That fight is all about maxing DPS (especially in the NG+ and beyond).