Who Else is Playing Demon's Souls?

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I began playing Demon's Souls years ago, but quit like a baby after the first boss. So, as I've been watching Load Our Last Souls, I've been eager to actually play it. Now, after picking it up again, I've beat a few levels and it's quickly becoming a favorite. Just beat 4-1 and totally cheesed Adjudicator with Soul Arrow.

How about everybody else?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I bought Demon Souls a few years back during one of the Black Friday sales but just never got around to it. I'm kinda intrigued now since they started streaming Dark Souls to jump in to it and see how different they are from each other.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By chrissedoff

nobody dude that game is older than dirt

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played like 10 hours and just couldn't do it. The fact that you couldn't checkpoint until beating a boss was too frustrating. Dark Souls intrigues me because of the bonfire system

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have about 3 hours into it, kinda want to play enough before I am ready for dark souls which I own on PC.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Pretty much all the bosses can be cheesed. It's both one of my favourite things about Demon's Souls, and also a knock against it. Story's cooler though.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat it earlier this year when it was up for PS+ members. I played Dark Souls when it first came out so I was more prepared when I played Demon's Souls. I enjoyed them both but I think I had more fun playing Dark Souls.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Not sure if I'll ever get to playing it, since Dark Souls 2 is coming out early next year and I still haven't entirely finished Dark Souls. Regardless, I think it'd be interesting to go back and check out eventually.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By sub_o

I completed the game twice. Then jumped in again, hoping to get platinum, but I accidentally killed a merchant using God's Wrath, which seems to screw up the tendency that I need.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By Daneian

Just started my first run through last week.

Clearing out archdemons.

Onto DaSouls next.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like you.

I still need to beat it, game's hard yo.

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By razzdrazz

@naru_joe93: @chrissedoff: Surprisingly, there are a lot of people I see playing the game. I've been invaded a few times and am constantly seeing other players. Who cares if it's from a couple years ago? 2009 isn't that long ago...

@naru_joe93, I like how the game is split into different levels. It splits everything into bite-sized chunks and makes the game easier to memorize/ exploit

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I thought they had shut the online servers down last year, but I just googled it, and apparently they scrapped that idea.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I finally finished Dark Souls back when Rorie started streaming it and have been thinking about going back and getting through Demon's Souls ever since. There is just so much to play and such little time to do it for me anymore that I might have to scrap it. Dark Souls II though, I'll be playing that for sure.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played like 10 hours and just couldn't do it. The fact that you couldn't checkpoint until beating a boss was too frustrating. Dark Souls intrigues me because of the bonfire system

The bonfire system that lets you checkpoint after each boss? You'd be surprised how similar they are with the check pointing system.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93 said:

The bonfire system that lets you checkpoint after each boss? You'd be surprised how similar they are with the check pointing system.

Haha! That's what I was thinking too. The Bonfires are basically the exact same thing as Archstones from Demon's Souls. If anything, traversing Dark Souls is less predictable and more frustrating at times. Especially late-game, even with the ability to warp to selected bonfires since so many can't be warped to, namely absolutely none in the entirety of The Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, though there are a couple helpful shortcuts. Dark Souls also seems to rely on precarious footing to raise its difficulty level a little too often for my tastes. Basically every section starting with Sen's Fortress (itself being the most egregious example) onward has at least one section with itty-bitty, easy-to-fall-to-your-death walkways. Also, fuck the Crystal Caves.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After 2 playthrough of Dark Souls I decided to have a crack at Demons Souls. Cant turn down free on PS+ Really enjoying it but the level sucking boss can go and make love to him self.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samstrife said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Haha! That's what I was thinking too. The Bonfires are basically the exact same thing as Archstones from Demon's Souls. If anything, traversing Dark Souls is less predictable and more frustrating at times. Especially late-game, even with the ability to warp to selected bonfires since so many can't be warped to, namely absolutely none in the entirety of The Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, though there are a couple helpful shortcuts. Dark Souls also seems to rely on precarious footing to raise its difficulty level a little too often for my tastes. Basically every section starting with Sen's Fortress (itself being the most egregious example) onward has at least one section with itty-bitty, easy-to-fall-to-your-death walkways. Also, fuck the Crystal Caves.

You're reminding me that I prefer Demon's Souls to Dark Souls by a fair bit.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By development

I love killing adjudicator. He's the easiest boss, because his attacks are completely predictable and forecasted. He's actually easier melee than ranged. I love bosses or enemies in games that are just big meat bags you can wail on. Plus, you can sprint directly to him as your second boss and make tons of early souls. Not to mention the area directly after him is one of the best for PVP. Good luck on that section, by the way; it's one of the hardest.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

@everettescott said:

@chrissedoff said:

I don't like you.

I still need to beat it, game's hard yo.

He's also wrong. Beat it a few weeks ago and the MP is still crowded. People are definitely still playing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had a save game about 25 hours in that remained idle for years. A few months ago I decided to go back and finish it, a damn good game. I was actually surprised that the game actually still has a decent population of people playing. I remembered hearing years ago that they were going to shut down the servers, but I guess that never happened.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By gkhan

Yeah, just started recently, after it was free on PS+. I'm taking it slowly, a bit here and a bit there. It's challenging fun.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat it a while ago hell of a game!!

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i play it once in a while cause its free on ps3 with ps+

its fun but i like dark souls a lot more

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked Demon's Souls quite a bit more than Dark Souls, it's been a while though so I can't explain why mostly I think the open worldy thing is just confusing and prefer the straightforward level selection. I cheesed the shit out of the final boss in Demon's Souls too, it was awesome. I should play it again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I keep wanting to go back honestly Ive played through Dark Souls so many times but only Demon's Souls like once. I honestly forget what the levels are even like.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The structure of Demon's Souls was definitely more appealing to me. Being more level based instead of a big open world where you I felt lost half the time. And it felt like there was much less having to go through the same areas over and over when you die.

Demon's Souls was free for Plus for a little while back so I'd assume some people picked it up then.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently playing, working on a Crescent Flamberge/Magic build. Resistances in that game seem way stronger or weaker than in Dark Souls. World two is a breeze with magic weapons, but if you run into any enemies with even the slightest bit of magic defense, you do no damage.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried getting into it when it was on sale a couple of months ago, after S-ranking Dark Souls, but the tweaks and fixes missing in the original made it really difficult to adapt. I need to just gut it out to SL 25; by then I'm sure I'll be hooked.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up Dark Souls on clearance a while back and haven't played it yet. I really need to pop this in and see how hard it is. I'm probably not the type of gamer that wants to go through this much torture but I'll give it a try.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still prefer Demon's to Dark. The world is much better realized, has better atmosphere, voice acting, more memorable characters. At no time are you unclear why you are undertaking the quest. Why you get enemies' souls when you kill them actually makes sense from an in-game standpoint. The ending is far better than Darks and really makes you look back on what you've done and question whether or not it was right. Prefer grass to estus. Prefer mana bar to set number of casts as it makes a pure mage character actually possible. You are not some Chosen One cliched bs, just a regular adventurer who, as the game hints, will most likely fail and the world will end. I could go on and on.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just restarted it yesterday ... because I want to play more soul games but I just S-ranked Dark Souls , now going for Demons´Souls

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Miyuki

Demon's souls is on sale on PSN right now for $14.99. I bought it on impulse, since I've never played any of the souls games, and after a few extremely frustrating hours I finally got started. Now I'm obsessed, and I finally see why everyone loves these games so much!

For those getting started, I found the LP by Kazamieras here to be really helpful - he explains the systems well, and it helped to get me through the initial learning curve. As someone who hasn't played an action rpg since Diablo II, I find the controls to be surprisingly intuitive. I figured I would play this game first, since everyone said to go for that before Dark Souls.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By jacksukeru

I've long been thinking of going back to it and have with some intervals, but having to relearn that games upgrade system, which I never got a good grip on to begin with, has held me back several times.

There's also a bunch of changes made in Dark Souls that makes it hard going back. Having to deal with the inventory weight limit, only having the two rollspeeds, having to farm for grass and having to manage said grass that each recover a different amount, limited access to humanity/body restoring items. I also really like the "prepared spells" like system of Dark Souls and how it's balanced in uses, though I admit never having doven really deep into spellcasting in Demon's Souls (I was gonna, but again, hard to go back to).

There are a few levels and stuff I want to see again though so maybe I'll give it another, another try.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started a new game up a couple days ago. Beat 1-1 and 1-2 and haven't had time to play since. :(

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RonGalaxy

@samstrife said:

@sinusoidal said:

@samstrife said:

@naru_joe93 said:

You're reminding me that I prefer Demon's Souls to Dark Souls by a fair bit.

the difference is that there are bon fires that aren't tied to bosses, there are ones just out there in the environment. If Im remembering correctly, archstones only became available after you beat a boss, which sucks because you constantly get shot to the beginning of a level if you keep losing. Whenever that happened I'd go to a different level, and after awhile I played all of them and just got bored with it

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep started it a couple weeks back, so far have beaten 1-1,1-2,2-1.2-2.3-1.3-2,4-1,5-1

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pro tip:

If you beat the butcher (first boss of the storm area) and the first 2 bosses of the mines (the Balrog looking thing is kinda hard but not impossible), craft the meat cleaver and the rest of the game is a cakewalk.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I really loved the atmosphere in Demons. The nexus is such a wonderfully haunting place - the music and Maiden in Black. Which is why I'm a bit disappointed that Dark Souls 2 is a straight sequel rather than something entirely new once again.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasar7 said:

I still prefer Demon's to Dark. The world is much better realized, has better atmosphere, voice acting, more memorable characters. At no time are you unclear why you are undertaking the quest. Why you get enemies' souls when you kill them actually makes sense from an in-game standpoint. The ending is far better than Darks and really makes you look back on what you've done and question whether or not it was right. Prefer grass to estus. Prefer mana bar to set number of casts as it makes a pure mage character actually possible. You are not some Chosen One cliched bs, just a regular adventurer who, as the game hints, will most likely fail and the world will end. I could go on and on.

At least half the bosses in Demon's souls are easily exploitable and/or broken in some way. The world is also way less inspired with the disjointed hub design and the fact that 4 worlds only have 2 areas each is kind of disapointing. Finally, you can beat 4 of the 16 bosses, get the best weapon in the game and laugh your way through the rest.

Demon's souls was amazing in its day but Dark souls improved on it in every way possible.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nasar7
Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still busy trying to S-rank Dark Souls. Almost there, just missing the Knight's Honor achievement. I kind of want to play Demon's Souls again but I don't have a PS3 in England and I lent the copy of the game to a friend. I only completed the game once or twice I think. NG+ I only got as far as the Flame Lurker, man that guys is a bitch in NG+.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#43 fisk0  Moderator

I started playing it again after I got it for free on PS+. I already owned an imported copy, and was sad to find out that the saves aren't compatible between the two, but it's much easier to play now when I've got some experience with both Dark Souls and Dark Souls II.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soon... soon! Vinny's streams really make me wanna jump in but real life stuff prevented me from dedicating time to it so far.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe Vinny will play it between the Dark Souls games....or not. I think I want to give the game another try myself.