Rufus in Deponia is apparently a really puppied character

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

I had never played the games because the protagonist seemed really annoying but holy shit!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127236074&postcount=200

- make a homeless man eat a shoe

- grind baby dolphins to make cat food

- set a horde of crustaceans on a gondolier singer until there's nothing left of him but a skeleton

- leave children in the care of a pedophile, then make an ink blot picture of what is implied to be the pedophile's penis and show it to them

- leave the same children in the mouth of a swamp monster - two of them are eaten

- sell a woman as a slave to an organ grinder so she spends the rest of her days performing as a dancing monkey (she happens to be the only black character in the game, by the way)

- force that woman's boyfriend to be a host for an alien parasite (he was also the homeless man who had to eat a shoe)

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

You have boldly gone where no thread title should go!

No Caption Provided

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I have never played these games because they seem poorly written and boring- much like the Runaway series.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yeah, there's some fucked up things in the Deponia series - It gets more extreme over the course of the series. Most of what you listed is from the third game. One other thing in the third game that was on the bad taste side of things: a psychiatrist prescribes a noose to one of his patients =|

Also, poor digital dolphins :( That made me feel the worst out of all the things though. I like dolphins.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yeah, by most accounts, the humour in that game is sub-Family-Guy levels of just trying to be offensive to get a cheap laugh. Or it's like if Ctrl-Alt-Del were a video game.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By audioBusting

What the pup? I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream doesn't even reach that level of fucked up. I mean, the worst anyone does in that game is to eat a baby, and that's optional. Barf!

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's some fucked up things in the Deponia series - It gets more extreme over the course of the series. Most of what you listed is from the third game. One other thing in the third game that was on the bad taste side of things: a psychiatrist prescribes a noose to one of his patients =|

Also, poor digital dolphins :( That made me feel the worst out of all the things though. I like dolphins.

Damn, that's real bad. I thought these games were just charming looking, had no idea it'd be some demented shock exploitation stuff?! I don't think even Manhunt goes as far as this.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AssInAss

Shit, there's more! Yeah, Manhunt got nothing on this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127302977&postcount=285

- put together a poisonous pie filled with toothpaste, pepper, dust and a urinal cake, and then feed it to your friend to make him sick (this is done more than once)

- get a therapist to prescribe a hangman's noose for your ex-girlfriend (who is only seeing the therapist because of Rufus in the first place)

- walk up to a pair of women in the resistance army and hurl sexist insults at them

- get a baby to throw up on his older brother's face after feeding him emetic

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'm working my way through this trilogy just finished the second last month, I get what they were trying to go for with Rufus (Guybrush Threepwood with attitude!), but man that's a tough tightrope to walk and they fail miserably at making him tolerable or remotely likable. It's not funny or well done, it's just irritatingly spiteful. The Deponia games are like a Sarkeesian Nightmare when it comes to how it treats some of its female characters, especially Goal. She's just basically a football being tossed back and forth between Rufus and Cletus, all the while being treated like utter crap by both of them.

They are games I want to like given the artstyle and classic Lucasarts feel to them, but the general undercurrent of just deep mean spiritedness makes that all but impossible.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#11 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Rufus is by far the least likable main character of any game.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I couldn't get into these game because of how annoying Rufus was.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Now I want to play this game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

I had heard complaints about Deponia before, but they were vague and I had no knowledge about the games in general beyond being adventure games. But reading this thread, good lord. What possessed the developers in thinking that this was a good idea?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@hailinel: I enjoyed the game, but Rufus is the definition of a bad character, in every sense of that phrase. When I beat the game last year, I wrote one sentence on it: I cannot think of any protagonist that I hate more than Rufus. He is that bad

CropHacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So then, he is well done, cose all of u are talking about him... thats some nice free PR :P

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not justifying the jokes because I don't think they're done all that well and I also ended up hating Rufus after the first game because he's just an unlikeable snarky dickhole but some of the quoted could be explained with attempts at Black Comedy and Gallows Humour.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, by most accounts, the humour in that game is sub-Family-Guy levels of just trying to be offensive to get a cheap laugh. Or it's like if Ctrl-Alt-Del were a video game.

Holy fuck, yes. Rufus even looks like Tim Fuckley.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing the first game in this series thinking "that looks cool" but wanted to wait til the trilogy was done. Never would have imagined it to have so much shit in it like what's being mentioned.

Daedalic's next game they just announced will probably be more of the same, which is a shame because then I won't play that either.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ghostiet: There's a right way and a wrong way to write a lazy slacker main character. The right way is basically Fry from Futurama, where's he's useless but kinda means well and it comes off as endearing. The wrong way is Ctrl-Alt-Del or Deponia, where he's useless but thinks he still has the right to be snarky all the time and get in the last word on everything as if anyone gives a shit what he thinks.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostiet

@bisonhero: Ethan McManus aka Harry O'Birdigan is one of the most obnoxious Mary Sues in fiction. It's interesting that both Rufus and Fuckley's creation get a half-assed "redemption through sacrifice" ending.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I remember seeing the first game in this series thinking "that looks cool" but wanted to wait til the trilogy was done. Never would have imagined it to have so much shit in it like what's being mentioned.

Daedalic's next game they just announced will probably be more of the same, which is a shame because then I won't play that either.

When the primary selling point is "We got the guy that played Randal in Clerks to play a completely different character also named Randal," you're not giving much of a reason to feel confident about your product.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghostiet

@hailinel: Especially sad since Jeff Anderson is legitimately funny. His directorial debut "Now You Know" is also a pretty good comedy.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#24  Edited By Slag

@ghostiet said:

@bisonhero said:

Holy fuck, yes. Rufus even looks like Tim Fuckley.

Ah man, Now I can't unsee that.