And here...we...go. Microtransactions coming to Destiny on Oct. 13th.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

https://www.bungie.net/7_Introducing-Eververse-Trading-Company/en/News/News?aid=13672

Fear not however. It's nothing essential to the game (basically emotes and the like). Also they will be using this money to provide content throughout the year. If it pans out this could be great, but we'll have to wait and see. I think this is the right way to go personally, but only if the content they provide is up to snuff.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By korwin

The 10th best game of 2014 just keeps getting 10th bestier.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

... Also they will be using this money to provide content throughout the year.

I thought that was what all the full-priced "expansions" were for. Can't say I'm surprised by this though.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LikeaSsur

Maybe they can use the profits to get it out on the PC faster.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So people who are not willing to pay will benefit from people who are willing to pay.

Don't really see what the big deal is.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems okay. As long as nothing impacts actual gameplay stuff like this is fine.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero problems with this as long as it's all cosmetic. And if this will help add more events to the game between expansions, all the better.

For what it's worth I believe this was mentioned in a livestream prior to TTK release.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

cosmetic stuff is fine

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

The 10th best game of 2014 just keeps getting 10th bestier.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sad that the industry has managed to move the goal post enough to the point that people are now comfortable with paying for in game items that used to be free after being charged 60 bucks and beyond for the product itself.

Everyone should be uncomfortable with this stuff.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#11 riostarwind  Moderator

Who likes money? Activision What is their biggest investment currently? Destiny How can they make tons of cash? Micro Transactions

Although a bunch of emotes doesn't seem like the best way to rack in some money. I guess they are testing it to see how well it'll go with the community before they bring out the fancy shaders and space ships.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized I haven't been to Bungie.net in a while. Those Halo multiplayer heatmaps are long gone, huh...

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest issues with this isn't the micro transactions for emotes, that stuff is fine, people who want them can buy them.

I'm worried about how they say they aren't going to do a "second big expansion" and instead make free story missions to give away. Now for most games and developers, I'd be fine with that, but for Destiny and it's history of dry content, even if TTK is much better, I fear our new story content every few months is going to non-substantial and really not have an impact on the story of the game, instead of what a new expansion would be.

I hope I am wrong, and it'll just be a wait and see, but from the angel of someone who wants more, forward driven narrative, this sets of some slightly yellow flags to me.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My answer to all these things: don't like it? don't buy it. The best statement you can make is with your wallet.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

No problem. I already judge people with the new emotes very harshly.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say I'm surprised. Most Multiplayer online games tend to add micro-transactions after a while.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riostarwind: "What is their biggest investment currently?"

You must have forgotten something called Call of Duty... Totally understand why it's dead to you.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mike said:
@kishinfoulux said:

... Also they will be using this money to provide content throughout the year.

I thought that was what all the full-priced "expansions" were for. Can't say I'm surprised by this though.

No, the full priced expansions are for full priced expansions. And there's been one of those. That's the Taken King.

If people are going to complain about letting lunatics buy shaders and dances so that the rest of us can play new content for free then I don't know what is happening in this space.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#19 riostarwind  Moderator

@giant_gamer: I didn't forget about Call of Duty. It just feels like CoD is on a downward trend while Destiny is expanding its audience again. But Black Ops III might just be the game to light the fires once again for the franchise. Sometimes it seems impossible to predict what will happen next with game sales.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't immediately throw my hands up when I hear about micro transactions, I think they can be done in a way that isn't crappy even in a full priced retail game. I'd prefer they not be a thing but they are so whatever. Whether Bungie is gonna do them in a way that isn't crappy is another matter. Cosmetic stuff seems fine but in a game that has seemed content starved, it doesn't look great. But hey I haven't played it so *shrug*

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally microtransactions don't bother me much, especially when it's just cosmetic stuff, but when Destiny has already been charging an arm and a leg for their expansions it's hard to just let the idea that they want to charge even more slide. They seem to want to cram every kind of monetary scheme into this game, but without the benefits that usually balances it out. As of now it's a full price retail release, with unusually expensive dlc expansions, and now microtransactions. (And for all intents and purposes, a monthly fee too, considering PS+ or XBL is basically mandatory.)

I enjoy Destiny as a game overall for the most part, but the whole business side of it just continues to baffle me and has soured my feelings more than anything about the game itself, which is just a bummer.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pyrodactyl

Kotaku is saying this is replacing paid DLCs

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gruff182

Saw this coming a mile off. I don't think there is anything wrong with selling cosmetic stuff, this is how the f2p model works.
Though this is destiny and they're already taking the piss with what they charge for scraps of content. Then people without a clue, try and compare it to WoW or another pc mmo.

Check out Dannys epsiode of the point on destiny, if you haven't seen it. Its a good one.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6