Are you happy that you bought Destiny?

• 122 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Are you happy that you bought Destiny? (667 votes)

Yes, mainly for the main story campaign 10%
Yes, mainly for the co-op, strikes, and raids 34%
Yes, mainly for the competitive multiplayer 6%
Yes, mainly for the end-game loot search 9%
No, mostly because I'm not happy with the amount of content 11%
No, mostly because I'm not happy with the storytelling in the campaign 10%
No, mostly because I'm not happy with how loot is handled 5%
No, mostly because I think there's too much of a focus on multiplayer 3%
No, I bought Destiny, but I'm not happy with the game for another reason 9%

I only added an open-ended "no, I'm not happy with the game for another reason" answer because I wanted to focus on what people prefer most about Destiny: the single player campaign, co-op, competitive multiplayer, or the search for better loot. Those seem to be Destiny's main focuses of game design and marketing.

I have my theories as to which answers will get the most votes, and I'm curious to find out if I'll be right. There's been a fair amount of negativity surrounding Destiny since its release, so I'm also interested to see if the people who actually bought the game regret their purchase or not.

What say you, Giant Bomb? Are you happy that you bought Destiny?

• 
bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, very much so I like it quite a bit. I love games like WoW and Diablo though.

I love the way the game plays and it's very addicting much like the aforementioned games.

I do see why people would not like it though and that is perfectly ok. Bungie should have done a better job of explaining what this game was beforehand and not relied on the Halo success to get people pumped for it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Eh, sure. I don't really think it has legs, at least for me, (I hate rep grinding, in general) but I enjoyed what I've played of it so far. It will probably be something I play here and there throughout the rest of the year, whenever I'm bored or want a bit of FPS action.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, mainly because I've spent the entire summer playing old games and it's refreshing to play something new and exciting again. Can't wait for the real release season to start kicking in though.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

I didn't buy it because I'm not a fan of what they're doing and the mediocre response has left me lukewarm on it, but I would be most interested in this question a month from now when people have had time to reflect on how they feel about the game.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't regret buying it at all but I can see why some wouldn't enjoy the game. I had the benefit of not seeing or hearing most of the hype surrounding the game so I went in almost completely blind. I love doing the strikes and competitive multiplayer (even though I suck at it). The combat just feels so good that a lot of the repetition doesn't bother me. Here's hoping they release more content in free updates before they start rolling out expansions.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really let down by Destiny, but I don't regret putting time into it if only because the discussion around it is fascinating, and I enjoy having an informed opinion on it. I felt the same way about Watch Dogs — they're both aggressively flawed games, but worth having conversations over.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#7 riostarwind  Moderator

Sure it's a fun game to play coop. Solo is fine too in a loot grind kinda way but it's obvious they want people to team up a lot.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I didn't know that the only thing to do at the end game was run Strikes and do Crucible matches over and over again. Maybe I'll come back in a year, pick up the inevitable DLC-bundle when it's on sale. Maybe there will actually be something to do.

ravingham91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravingham91

I got the game with a ps4 bundle and would not of bought it otherwise. I'm playing alone and I'm not having a great time for the reasons mentioned in Jeff's review. Where are all the guns? Everything at the tower is level 20 and the one place I can buy guns I have to grind faction rep! what about my class Armour? I'm level 11 and I still have the default "bond" I thought I would try and do some multilayer to get some better weapons but the matchmaking keeps dropping me in a match that is half over and my team is already losing! Load times!

Deathdealer108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have rented it and have enjoyed my time with it so far. I don't think I will be changing that to a purchase unless there are major additions to what is already available. I'm happy with my 20 hours of playtime right now and don't feel the need to sink in more time running the same missions I just finished.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. It's a lot of fun. Everything it's bad at is what I imagined would be bad long before release. Destiny gives me exactly what I wanted from the game. I knew the story and characters would be bad, and that it wouldn't have a lot of environments. I'm fine with that. I went into this with no hype. I thought it looked good and it's good. At the end of the day, I find myself wanting to play more Destiny in my downtime. Despite it's flaws, it's the only game so far this year that made me want to play more of it. This year has been full of games that I load for the first time and may go 2 weeks before I think about again. Whatever it is about Destiny, I need more of it.

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

I can't help but feel like this game is the first third of a quality MMO experience. The reason why WoW was an overwhelming success was because those first 60 levels of content were just crammed with memorable diverse experiences and people who were playing just to cap had a lot to do on their long journey there. People who were just in it for the loot also found an immensely challenging and equally rewarding experience in Raid content. The obvious comeback is "well, WoW is a subscription based game.", and the immediate response is Destiny is asking roughly 90 bucks for all its content. That, at launch, would have bought you the game and roughly 4 months of game time.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Seikenfreak

Not sure if there is a limit on amount of poll choices but I would've put a "No, I decided not to buy it after recent feedback" and "No, I didn't plan to buy it anyway."

I didn't buy it because it looks like it's just the same thing that was in the Alpha x 4. Is there a way to view results without voting? I imagine some people are voting for one of the "No" choices just because they are curious about the results.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well technically I got it with the PS4 bundle and my only other choice was the Last of Us console pack-in but I already beat that game.

Technically I am overall sorta underwhelmed by both the PS4 and Destiny. After years of playing on the 360 pad it's a work in progress getting comfortable with the PS4 controller. I at this point have to strongly disagree with the opinion that it's the best controller out right now as I find it sorta uncomfortable compared to the perfect ergonomics of the 360 pad.

So I'd say if I could have chosen another game I would have.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Yes, for the co-op stuff. That's the main thing I was interested in from the time they first showed off some gameplay at E3 a couple of years ago. I was a little interested in how the story would plan out, and that was a bit disappointing, but that's not really why I bought the game. I just wanted another co-op focused game to play with my best friend. It also helped that a friend at work was picking up the game and has shown a surprising amount of excitement and enthusiasm for the game, and that kind of rubbed off on my right before release.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a really good podcast game. I'm happy with my purchase

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I cancelled my preorder which I wouldn't exactly say I'm happy about (in a perfect world it would've been a much better game). But I am satisfied with my decision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Which option do I click where I am happy because I got the cool white PS4 and the game isn't terrible?

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm glad I didn't buy it. From what I've played of my roommate's copy, I agree whole-heartedly with Jeff's opinion. I loath everything that comes out of the Ghost's mouth, and it's a shame the entire point of the game is running around pressing square between fights to get him to say something.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't regret buying it, but I'm very disappointed by the lack of variety in the game.

It got old REALLY fast for me... but the shooting itself wasn't bad I guess.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yup, I've already absolutely gotten my money's worth out of it. I have played heaps of it over the last week and really enjoyed myself. It's a heavily flawed game, but there's a really fun game in there.

mikesaysno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game severely let me down, but I'll get my money's worth so I'm not upset that I bought it.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mostly just bothered that I've yet to get to play for longer than 20 minutes at a time without it giving me a general network error. I've seen the intro about 12 times, and i've yet to complete the first mission on earth because i disconnect in the middle of it and have to start over again each time.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

I had a great time hanging out with friends at the midnight launch, but I definitely regret buying it. Wish I could have all those hours I spent playing back. And that $60.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, kinda none of the above, I wanted that white PS4 and Destiny coming with it was a co-incidence. I played through it, it's... fine. I'll probably sell the disc, I was planning on going all digital anyway.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mostly just bothered that I've yet to get to play for longer than 20 minutes at a time without it giving me a general network error. I've seen the intro about 12 times, and i've yet to complete the first mission on earth because i disconnect in the middle of it and have to start over again each time.

Are you on Live or PSN? For me, the servers have been fine so far.

emanc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I red-box'd it and played till level 10 before I just lost any interest in continue playing. I might give Destiny another go once I pick up a PS4 and we see how Bungie improves the game with updates/DLC.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: i'm playing on PS4. or rather NOT playing. I played the beta on PS3 and it worked fine.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be an option for people who not sure yet. Honestly I don't know if I'm glad I bought it or not. The singleplayer is okay and I think it will be an interesting competitive multiplayer game to add to the rotation, and I can see myself doing strikes and raids from time to time, but I'm not sure it was worth the $90 I spent (I bought the version with the DLC because I always end up buying DLC.) I guess I'll have to wait and see what the raids are like and whether they continue adding content and multiplayer variations to keep it fresh.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm very happy that I bought Destiny. I think it is a very enjoyable game that has a lot going for it. Sure the story isn't great but I don't play MMOs for their stories. I think the core game play is fun and that's all that really matters.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I totally get the criticisms of the game but they don't really matter to me. The shooting in it reminds me of Halo CE.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32  Edited By fisk0

I'd say yes, but none of the options apply. I don't play anything for end game content (there is only one game in which I've everreached the level cap, and that was Star Trek Online), but other than that it's pretty much equally divided between the three first points (maybe leaning slightly more towards the single player stuff - but even then it's probably more the random patrol missions rather than the campaign) and stuff like "I'm kinda fascinated by how it turned out", "I like to just explore areas and don't really give a shit about anything else". I'm kinda fine with just doing the patrol mode, running around in the world and not actually taking on any missions, and just look at how the areas are connected.

I played Defiance pretty much the same way, and rather enjoyed that too.

I don't think it's a fantastic game, but it's competent enough to have been worth spending money on just to see what it is.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't buy it. I don't have a PS4 or Xone and this felt like a game that had to be played on a next gen system. Although, past gen seems fine in that quicklook. I have been skeptically intrigued by this game since it's been announced and I still don't know how if it's something for me. I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer shooters, and I play MMOs quite often, but only WoW has kept my interest for any length of time. Destiny looks like a cool world I'd love to explore, but I don't know if there's much there to explore. Maybe the game will have evolved by the time I get a PS4....

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By John1912

Ive had my fill of their outright dishonest PR on this game. I lost all respect for Bungie as a developer at this point. I enjoyed the game overall, but it has a lot of problems.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

About 6 months ago i was sure this was going to be the game that was going to make me go out and buy a PS4. I jumped into Defiance at the time, it went FTP, and really had a lot of fun. There are not a lot of MMO shooters to try and compare Destiny, but at its core both are wrapped in the same package. Now its not fair to compare a supposed $500 million game to a ftp experience, but i know i enjoyed about 2 weeks of Defiance(free), enjoyed the story, co op missions and (i think they are called instances) where 50 players just keep going battle to battle but it continued to become easy. I watched a lot of the previews for Destiny and outside the significant art and FPS shooting it was basically the same as Defiance. I even grew bored watching whomever basically go into each section shoot terrible A.I. and then move on. The beta really was helpful in it made my decision to continue and wait to buy a PS4 easier. Also when watching the Beta i knew with no cover, no levelution plus its hanging onto last gen and effing the pc it sealed its fate as nothing but a basic shooter wrapped in a pretty bow. All i know is you can put a lipstick on a pig, but its still just a pig. I have no doubts next year, as with D3, this game will be a lot better with patches, DLC, etc. but in its current state, from a PC gamer perspective, its a FTP game that they are charging $60+.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rented it, beat it in less then 2 days..... and now I want to buy it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By StarvingGamer

Yes, because the shooting mechanics feel sooo good and I couldn't give a fuck about co-op or content or story or whatever.

Just let me keep shooting.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Absolutely. Just hit 20 with my Warlock (solo) today. I have a level 15 hunter that I've been playing with 2 friends. Been having a hell of a lot of fun with both characters and playstyles. I think they gameplay and core of the game is excellent, but some of the design decisions around that seem absolutely braindead. Grimoire cards and clan stuff not in the game, but relegated to Bungie's website? However, I think if they give the game the proper post-release support and treat this at least somewhat like a proper MMO, I think they can fix a lot of the problems and ultimately have it end up as a really great game. I think Bungie's smart enough to listen to their fanbase.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yup, playing it with friends has been fun and I got it for a pretty steep discount.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, because when all's said and done I have a ton of fun actually playing the game. Single player, co-op, and multiplayer are all a blast.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont regret my purchase. I find everything that is not story related to be pretty awesome. Im really enjoying the Crucible multiplayer and doing Strike missions.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the poll really needed to be broken up that much. I picked I like it bc of the coop stuff, but I am enjoying the crucible and solo missions as well.

I totally get all the criticisms this game is getting, but I am still having a lot of fun with it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

didn't buy it. I'll just keep on with Warframe on the PS4.

Maybe I'll take a look at Destiny a few years from now. See how that 10 year plan is coming along.

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for the co-op, strikes and raid, however the end game loot is great.

I'm having a blast.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the "Meh, I bought the game and I played." it choice?

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm glad I didn't buy it, does that count? The beta didn't really impress me or my friends, so we skipped it. It seems like it turned out sorta alright, but I'm sure me and my friends will have more fun with Persona Arena and Borderlands.

BranKetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BranKetra

I got this game for the social integration of multiplayer in single player and six days later, I am still glad I did.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Can there be the option: "Yes I'm happy with Destiny purchase, because I had to know. I just had to know"?

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't done any raids or co-op strikes yet so I can't really comment on them but my single player experience has been pretty fun so far and I really enjoyed the few matches of pvp I've played as of right now.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I bought the white PS4 bundle and don't regret that at all. I do wish I could have gotten it with a different game though, Destiny is a little barren and the loot is meager. I might enjoy it more if I could start playing with people but without matchmaking that takes more effort than it's probably worth.