competitive Mutliplayer, won't let it ruin the experience

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Does anyone know of a link for competitive multiplayer tips? Or even maybe a recommended level to start at. I'm currently level 6, and I just seem to get one shotted, or killed pretty much immediately. Other players from what it looks like have shields? I know this game wasn't designed with competitive multiplayer at its core, so instead of getting upset I should just play a match or two and go back to co-op.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

You won't earn crucible marks until level 18, so I wouldn't bother until then.

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 8-4 podcast had a guest right after the Destiny beta (or a while in?) that was friends with Halo professionals, who had some good useful hints after trying out Destiny. I remember these six:

Always watch the radar - By now it should be known if slow careful crouch-walking helps keep your radar signature silent

Use as high of a turning speed as possible, preferably the highest - Takes a while to get used to, I ended up doing that only for the PvP, switching back for more relaxed PvE.

ADS when you need to shoot - Slows down the turning speed to something easier to handle, and it's a wise move anyway.

Know your weapons and opposition - If you know how to use a weapon you will know how to evade it, really. Same for class differences.

Get mad - Grunt and squeal in your chair but don't lose your mind

Practice - Makes perfect

No effin idea about the shields though, was a mystery in alpha, was a mystery in beta, now my PS4 is away for RMA and I cannot get into Destiny until maybe christmas..

thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

@somejerk: Good tips. I completely forgot about the showing up on radar if you are moving stuff. It's been awhile since I've played halo.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has shields and you can get one shotted by:

• rockets
  • sniper to the head (I think?)
  • Shotgun point blank
  • any super
  • Grenades at short range (some types?)
  • And some melee abilities like a throwing knife to the face I think

Everyone is put on the same level and the equipment is normalized across the board.

I got a great rare chestplate from playing a few matchs at lvl 12 and it's almost twice as good as everything else I own. If you're into competitive multiplayer (especially halo in small maps) you could play a few matchs when the leveling slows down around lvl 12-15. Make sure you have crusible chalenges active though.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OurSin_360

I don't know, i feel like some people are either cheesing or have some really high class weapons, or maybe i'm just lagging. I was getting one shot across the map by fusion rifles. Which makes absolutely no fucking sense unless their are really good scopes late game or something. But it could be lag, i've had matches where i went like 20 and 3 and matches i went like 8 and 20 lol. Felt like i was shooting at air sometimes.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The are plenty of bounties of the "participation award" variety. You can knock those out without worrying about your performance too much, and it'll let you get your feet wet.

I recommend going with a high volume weapon when you are starting out, like an autorifle. Things like scout rifles and hand cannons work fine, but early on your best bet will be to put rounds on something scary. Switch to something like that if you are using more precision type weapons in PvP.

The first available match type is a control point match, meaning it is easier for newer players to know where to go. Stick with teammates, and concentrate more on objectives than just straight gunslinging. If you are in the right place at the right time the very worst you can be is an extra body for them to shoot at, meaning your teammates have a better chance of getting the kill. Staying back on defense in a good place to either hold a point or ambush someone who comes to cap it isn't a bad idea either.

Normal PvP balances for your gear and flattens out the level bonuses, but obviously the more you have unlocked the more tools you have. You don't need to go there right away.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:
Get mad - Grunt and squeal in your chair but don't lose your mind

Oh man, there are few things that makes me lose my temper, but modern console FPS multiplayer sure seems designed around trying to get under your skin. The control mode is somewhat bearable, but everything else just makes the game into "there's someone behind you the videogame". Not that I'm not having any fun with it, but when one of those games comes around...

Anyways, as far as tips goes, not only will you not get rewards at lower levels, but as you get higher you get better skills and weapons as well (not just stats). As far as one-shotting goes, yes it's a game focused around power weapons. Use your super(preemptively), secondary, heavy weapons, grenade and special melee as much as possible. Also learning the maps so you know what sorta build to use and when to switch weapons helps a lot (which reminds me, this game could totally use saved pre-sets). As an example, I've mostly been sticking to this bladedancer/shotgun build and every time a certain map pops up I'm crushing, but everywhere else it doesn't work that well.

And, as already mentioned, understanding the radar is pretty much key.