• 83 results
Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucitary

MODERATOR EDIT: Please keep the discussions in this topic limited to the ENDING only. If you want to discuss the game in general or leave your impressions about anything other than the ending, please use the existing catch-all topic here.

http://www.giantbomb.com/destiny/3030-36067/forums/destiny-early-impressions-1494350/#196

If saying that "there is nothing to spoil" is a spoiler, I guess spoilers ahead.

Let me preface this by saying that I actually really like Destiny and will continue to play it, but whoever allowed the story in this game to pass should really just...not...

Ya, that ending. Not only did it come out of nowhere (I didn't even realize I had picked the last story mission until the ending started), but it was also completely empty... in the most purified, definitive sense of the word. First of all it is probably one of the shortest cutscenes in the entire game, it's in engine as opposed to the intro cutscene, and the dialogue is basically straight up saying "yo, this literally hasn't even started yet so I hope you like expansions." Jeff was entirely right in the Quick Look, nothing of consequence happens in this game except for a very very very minor achievement as a result of the final mission. I'm fine with this but I really didn't need the game to spell it out to me like a slap to the face. The custcene honestly should not have even been in the game because it tells you absolutely nothing of value and offers you zero congratulations. The worst part is The Stranger who is not what could be defined as a character even in the most wild imaginings of a hyperactive preschooler. So it's pretty interesting that they decided that ALL of the relevant dialogue of the final scene should be granted to him/her and it goes about as well as you would expect. And when it's all over with you hop in your ship and fly away, even though you hadn't even talked to The Speaker yet which is what you were there to do... like, dude, where are you going? I'm not joking there is a glaring continuity error in the ending cutscene of this multi million dollar production. Honestly I still like the game, but I'll be skipping cutscenes from now on, and I suggest everyone else do the same.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Yet another similarity to Borderlands then :P

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ProfessorEss

@alucitary said:

Let me preface this by saying that I actually really like Destiny and will continue to play it, but...

Sounds like Mission Accomplished to me.

I think we should allow the people who allowed this to continue.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fun read. After MGS4, I'm immune to horseshit endings. I'll probably still enjoy the game.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks that the game isn't as big as it appeared to be at first and that the story is so inconsequential.

Maybe Destiny 2 will be better? The shooting part looks fun, so it would be nice if they could make good on everything else. Otherwise it just feels like a waste.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Why didn't they just say the game was episodic to begin with? Eh probably because people would think that was lame and not buy it.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadyPingu

So, what do you, in fact, accomplish in the game's ending? Did you at least beat THE DARKNESS?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I get that they don't want to be called Borderlands without a sense of humour. That looks bad no matter what, but, hell, even Borderlands 2 had a satisfying ending that resolved the plot and various character arcs throughout the game, and that somehow didn't manage to hurt season pass sales or add-on sales at all.

I do have to ask though, on a scale between "Halo 2" and "RAGE" levels of bad, how unsatisfying/bewildering is the ending in Destiny?

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, what do you, in fact, accomplish in the game's ending? Did you at least beat THE DARKNESS?

No, not even close. It's stated, twice in fact, that this is only the beginning. The boss of the final mission is basically the leader a small sect of one of the races of the darkness.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Berserker976

@encephalon said:

As far as I know you don't even get to find out what The Darkness IS. Or who the Stranger was talking to in that one early Venus cutscene. I'm not sure I've ever played a game with such a thin, incoherent story. I'd go so far as to say there's not even one real "character" in the entire game.

Edit: as for the ending itself, I thought that last level was pretty cool looking, and I figured it was the last level based on it being the Black Garden (which I think was mentioned about twice beforehand). But man, talk about inconsequential! I feel like I don't know any more about this world than I did back when they announced the premise for the game. I guess I'll try to look more at the Grimoire stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I get that they don't want to be called Borderlands without a sense of humour. That looks bad no matter what, but, hell, even Borderlands 2 had a satisfying ending that resolved the plot and various character arcs throughout the game, and that somehow didn't manage to hurt season pass sales or add-on sales at all.

I do have to ask though, on a scale between "Halo 2" and "RAGE" levels of bad, how unsatisfying/bewildering is the ending in Destiny?

Can't speak to Rage, but Destiny's ending reaches nowhere near the level of infuriation Halo 2's closing sequence inspired. Part of that was because Halo 2 had multiple narrative arcs seemingly coming to a natural climactic zenith at the exact moment the credits rolled. Destiny doesn't really have that. At any point.

In fact, you're pretty much resigned to the fact the game doesn't have any measure of character-or-plot-driven narrative by the halfway mark of the game. Since you aren't invested in anything, the ending is just another in a series of noiseless movements in this narratological vacuum.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nasp

yeah as much as i love destiny i cant ignore how bad that ending was.it was completely lifeless just like the rest of the story and characters.hopefully its better in the sequel.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the ending cutscene was a massive sign saying "you better like the expansion and buy them all if you want to get any sort of story out of this!" which would be fine if the game wasn't a full price release and the expansions didn't cost 1/3rd of the cost of the base game.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@historyinrust said:

@oldirtybearon said:

Can't speak to Rage, but Destiny's ending reaches nowhere near the level of infuriation Halo 2's closing sequence inspired. Part of that was because Halo 2 had multiple narrative arcs seemingly coming to a natural climactic zenith at the exact moment the credits rolled. Destiny doesn't really have that. At any point.

In fact, you're pretty much resigned to the fact the game doesn't have any measure of character-or-plot-driven narrative by the halfway mark of the game. Since you aren't invested in anything, the ending is just another in a series of noiseless movements in this narratological vacuum.

So "RAGE" then. Good to know.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The ending was really underwhelming. They talk about the universe like it's something I know a lot about (and I've read a bit of the grimoire) it feels rushed and empty and it's a lot of wasted potential just for set up. There is barely a journey through the missions it's just kind of a quest line. Like it's kind of a bummer because I want to know more about the Exo Stranger or literally any character. And I'm not even sure if beating the dark god thing did anything because they like to remind you that it's only the beginning. Are the Vex even defeated fully?

At least the ending does set up that the Exo Stranger is doing something.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What ending? Ending implies there is a story.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By a_e_martin

@alucitary said:

Honestly I still like the game, but I'll be skipping cutscenes from now on, and I suggest everyone else do the same.

The cutscenes can't be skipped. I tried. I pressed every button on the controller. IT CAN NOT BE DONE.

The Traveller help us all.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By LawGamer
High School English 101
High School English 101

Bungie needs to take a long, hard look at the above diagram. I don't think Destiny's story contains any of those steps.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What ending? It's only just begun guys!

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@lawgamer said:
High School English 101
High School English 101

Bungie needs to take a long, hard look at the above diagram. I don't think Destiny's story contains any of those steps.

According the Destiny's ending, the first and last steps of that diagram are understood to be the same thing. Also according to Destiny, the other 3 steps don't exist.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sterling

@gruebacca said:
@lawgamer said:
High School English 101
High School English 101

According the Destiny's ending, the first and last steps of that diagram are understood to be the same thing. Also according to Destiny, the other 3 steps don't exist.

The first game is just the prologue guys. We haven't even gotten to chapter one of this 10 year epic. The story is not introduced until Destiny 2. Because its only just the beginning, 'member. You 'member. They told us like 20 times. Its only just the beginning.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I actually had a server error right as the last cutscene (I imagine it was the last cutscene, the one with a ton of people standing in a townsquare-like area while who I presume was The Speaker started to give a speech) began so I have no idea what the ending was. I imagine space magic.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that it really matters, but I didn't actually see the ending scene before today even though I beat it a few days ago. I'm guessing it's related to me being in a fireteam for the last mission or something, but when I did the mission today for a bounty the scene played after and I got the weapon.

As for the ending itself, I feel like Bungie sorta got ahead of themselves and were too busy teasing what's coming up with the trilogy rather than actually make me interested in what's happening. Like there's nothing wrong with what's there, it would fit perfectly into a bigger narrative, but it's missing the parts that's supposed to engage me now.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the Darkness? This is the biggest question I was left with. There are four bad guy races, I get that, but they seem to be at war with one another as far as I can tell, so are they part of the Darkness? If so then the Darkness shouldn't be that hard to beat, seeing as it's tearing itself apart at the seams.

The whole game's story feels like it was pulled from 2007 or even pre-Half Life 2. It kind of reminds me of Prey, though not as well done as Prey, which is saying something. Even the end boss fight was out of mid-range 2007 shooter game design. 3 big guys who are very similar and don't do anything particularly interesting in a row, signifying it's the end fight because there are 3 of them. Also the Cabal are supposed to be the most dangerous group (you face them last and they have an exclusion zone, they blow up planets just because they're in the way etc...) so why is the end of the game about the Vex?

Incidentally, what are the planets in the way of? Are the Cabal trying to do something? Is there an interstellar society out there with trade and culture and stuff? At first the darkness comes off as nothing but destruction, and especially with The Hive and its piles of bone, but the Cabal seem like they have some sort of society, and I'd like to get an idea of what that is. One of the Cabal bosses is described in his little card as having an interest in stories from humanity's Golden Age, so it appears that he's more than a mindless killer. Can we learn some more about that?

Nope, fight some machine enemies and three big bosses, watch the weird heart thing without context and hear a lame speech. The end!

Thanks Bungie!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Why do you even go to the moon? I forget. All I remember is once you go to Venus you get an actual cutscene with another character, and she sends you on this whole Vex quest. Then you stop the Vex. Then everyone celebrates and she's all "we started a new video game franchise".

It's super weird. Like playing through an episode of a procedural TV show, but as if the fifth episode of the season was episode one. The Black Garden was fun though. Game needed a whooooooooole lot more of stuff like that. Like, every two missions should've had a big set piece like that. At least there are the Strikes for that (and I guess the raids).

The Vex seemed like they could've been interesting though. The whole stuff about being outside of space and time, or was it being backwards in time? Fuck it, I dunno. Tyrion was saying some shit while I was shooting aliens.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

Jackie Estacado

randombattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By randombattle

@theht said:

Why do you even go to the moon? I forget. All I remember is once you go to Venus you get an actual cutscene with another character, and she sends you on this whole Vex quest. Then you stop the Vex. Then everyone celebrates and she's all "we started a new video game franchise".

It's super weird. Like playing through an episode of a procedural TV show, but as if the fifth episode of the season was episode one. The Black Garden was fun though. Game needed a whooooooooole lot more of stuff like that. Like, every two missions should've had a big set piece like that. At least there are the Strikes for that (and I guess the raids).

The Vex seemed like they could've been interesting though. The whole stuff about being outside of space and time, or was it being backwards in time? Fuck it, I dunno. Tyrion was saying some shit while I was shooting aliens.

That wizard came from there so you are like "YO WHY IS THERE MOON WIZARDS? Oh it's the flood ok let's stop those guys." Then you stop them.

I don't even know why everyone flipped out about the Vex in the story. The cabal seem way more dangerous with their super power armor and space ships or shit even the flood with their demon zombies and wizards. The robots seemed to be the least threatening considering they have time travel. For all the "MY GOD THEY ARE ONE MIND LINKED TOGETHER THEIR BRAINPOWER IS INCREDIBLE!" they sure were dumb robots who walk single file into grenades. It just seemed like people should have been more interested in the fact that they can literally travel through time on a whim. I'm no expert but that seems like something that would sure be useful to maybe go back in time before the Traveler got fucked up and stop that from happening.

@bigsocrates said:

What is the Darkness? This is the biggest question I was left with. There are four bad guy races, I get that, but they seem to be at war with one another as far as I can tell, so are they part of the Darkness? If so then the Darkness shouldn't be that hard to beat, seeing as it's tearing itself apart at the seams.

They seemed to be implying that the Darkness was a literal thing like the Traveler only with darkness instead of light. I mean if you think about it they have all the powers that the players have with shields and elemental abilities. They are like different classes for the Darkness and they all kill each other sometimes like the Guardians do in the Crucible.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My favourite part is when the stranger says "i dont have time to explain, i dont even have time to explain why i dont have time to explain"

Then she resorts to having a nice smalltalk about absolutly nothing of importance...

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randombattle:

Mmm, makes me think that this game is just like the sequel to Dark Souls set billions of years later. At some point we're gonna link a fire right?

I'm not entirely convinced all 4 races are part of the Darkness, the Cabal especially. Also those Cabal guys are like 100% 40K Space Marines, Imperial stuff and all.

As for the whole time travel thing. I'm pretty sure the game implies that the Strange is from the future or something, if you read the description of the gun you get given.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what bothered me most, other than the absolute lack of a story arc, is that I have no idea what the Black Garden was or what I did there. As far as I can tell we had to destroy the heart because the Vex were quite fond of it?

I thought maybe the Stranger would pipe in and say a few things, or Ghost Dinklage might find something interesting, or maybe even the Speaker would elaborate a bit during the celebration. Instead, the game congratulates you on finding another BAD THING and blowing it up for vaguely mystical reasons.

Even the Grimoire cards (which is supposedly where everything should be explained) don't seem to have any extra info beyond "that sure was a bad thing, good thing you blew it up". I'm really not sure why Bungie feels like it has to be so obtuse about everything.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Shadow

In a normal game, I'd condemn it. However, the story of Destiny on its release is nowhere near the ending of the plot and it was never supposed to be. Bungie has said multiple times, and it becomes very obvious when you look at the ending in this context, that they are going to slowly expand the story over time with expansions and events. The raid that came out today is just about as long, if not longer, than all the main story (non-strike) missions put together. In a year's time, I think the storyline leading up to the credits right now will seem like little more than an abnormally long tutorial compared to what they're slated to release for it

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you spoil that which has no story?

The Speaker told you that The Traveler needed to be freed from The Vex after you went to The Reef and saved The City. Once you reach The Black Garden and kill The Heart you are allowed to wait for The Expansion Pass to be fulfilled.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Crash_Happy

@nodima: Did you get the stranger's gun?

It seems Bungie were so determined to be mysterious that they forgot we need to know at least something in order to care.

It's probably worth adding. To me the game felt very like the first episode of a tv series. All the main factions get some kind of introduction and they use as much set as possible. In the mean time the writers are so busy working all that in that the actual plot gets squeezed into a pulp.

So you do achieve something, beating up the Vex whatsit in the Black Garden, but it lacks significance because it's not been properly framed for the player.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_happy:

The first episode of a TV show often has at least character introductions, if not a bit of development. Destiny doesn't even have characters.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: Did you get the stranger's gun?

It seems Bungie were so determined to be mysterious that they forgot we need to know at least something in order to care.

It's probably worth adding. To me the game felt very like the first episode of a tv series. All the main factions get some kind of introduction and they use as much set as possible. In the mean time the writers are so busy working all that in that the actual plot gets squeezed into a pulp.

So you do achieve something, beating up the Vex whatsit in the Black Garden, but it lacks significance because it's not been properly framed for the player.

Yes, but it's a pulse rifle so I haven't given it any thought. I'd rather stick to my more powerful hand cannon or my more lovely auto rifle, even if the auto rifle ha 20 less damage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

nothing really happens, like you shoot the three statues it apparently chases the big black blob away, and then you celebrate with a hundred other guys who apparently did the same thing you did also. It's not really an ending since it always wants to give you the impression "there's a bigger world out there and everyone is involved." And that vague ambiguity is what this whole franchise is banking on that they hope your interested enough to want to continue on with the next games.

In comparison Left 4 Dead series is vague ambiguous John Carpenter style of story telling but it feels as satisfying in as much as you want to put into it. Like when L4D3 comes out there probably will not be a cackling mad scientist who invented the Zombie Virus but instead have another 4 characters stuck in the similar scenarios that will run on for 4 stories. Because the design of these games are meant to be replayed multiple times so really anything important should be "go here, push this button, and fight off these guys." L4D series just leaves a lot of little clues to how the virus started, how the world was like before, who are these people and what do they hope to accomplish even if the world is destroyed.

And jesus christ, those Grimoire don't fucking explain anything. WOW! As much as everyone bitches how it's not in the game, it's WORSE when you actually read these trading cards with cheap writing in hopes again your excited to continue in this world.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima:

You can upgrade the pulse rifle to full auto.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima:

You can upgrade the pulse rifle to full auto.

I know, but I haven't had the time so I've just stuck to what I know so far. Definitely intrigued by that though. But I used to hate the hand cannons and I'm loving this one I've got now. 11 in the chamber ain't no joke.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DESTINY DOESN'T END!

That's the spoiler. Destiny doesn't have enough content and it also doesn't end.

At the same time it's fucking good.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point in the last mission, P-Dinky said 'It's all coming together.'

Having beaten that mission three times now, I'm not convinced.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Honkalot

The black garden was really pretty. A great set piece.

But the final boss or whatever you call it was very bad. I don't know why people are incapable of creating good end bosses.

Literally a blob, or some kind of literal heart of the black garden, which is not even hinted at in any way prior to the very final room in the game.

If possible it is less explained than the floating baby of half life, and equally meddling.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@honkalot said:

The black garden was really pretty. A great set piece.

But the final boss or whatever you call it was very bad. I don't know why people are incapable of creating good end bosses.

Literally a blob, or some kind of literal heart of the black garden, which is not even hinted at in any way prior to the very final room in the game.

If possible it is less explained than the floating baby of half life, and equally meddling.

They hint at the heart of the garden a lot actually but they lead you to believe it's more then just a blob that can bring to life statues. Man that last boss was a pain in the ass solo on hard. The last set of adds is just Minotaur's. Thankfully I had a legendary rocket launcher and was able to just blast the boss and avoid the Minotaur's.

Overall I do feel like the ending was whatever and did feel like the conclusion of a TV show. Something big happened, the characters contained it, but there is still more going on.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Crash_Happy

@bigsocrates: I think talking to the Speaker, the trainers the Queen and the Stranger are all supposed to be introductions akin to 1st ep of a tv series. Bungie though just don't come through on it. Running up the the Queen of the Awoken and saying 'hi, so you're the Queen huh? Great evil brother type dude you have here' doesn't cut it.

Ok. So maybe the better way to think of the ending is to consider the loose ends they apparently want us to wonder over.

First and most obvious I guess, who is the Stranger?

How did the Awoken survive?

What is the Queens' bro's (Regent?) game?

Anything else?

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also love an explanation of what the blob of the black garden actually was.

Though I'm willing to bet that the full explanation is something like NANOMACHINESSSS!!!!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By onarum

yeah.. I love the game but that ending was balls..

I expect at least a little bit of conclusion on a full priced game, if they want to expand the storyline afterwards with dlc that's fine, but they barely even developed a storyline in the main game.. they pretty much just barely slightly started to introduce one.

also I don't get the comparisons to MGS4, for as whacky and nonsensical as it's story arc and ending may have been it at least had a beginning, middle and end, Destiny just have maybe an attempt of introducing a story line.

GhettroGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly had no idea that was the last mission even after I beat it, someone told me afterwards :(

calbags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@calbags said:

there being no achievement or trophy for finishing the campaign is also odd. also does anyone give credit to the theory that the guardians are actually the darkness.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2gd9lr/i_overheard_a_fallen_dreg_say_something_and_now_i/

It's possible. Then again, anything is possible, because all we have are tiny dribs and drabs of story and nothing makes sense. People are making up all kinds of more interesting stories and theories than what exists in the game. There are some holes in the "we're the darkness" theory, such as that there appear to be wrecked human civilian cities inhabited by the aliens, the aliens don't have anyone other than warriors that we can see (so at least they are an occupying force) and they tend to fight among themselves. Now you could sort of apply all those to the occupying allies after WWII, but there are literally no humans alive that we can see outside the guardians and the last city, so it seems like at the very least the bad guys are genocidal (even if they think they're in the right) and that makes them bad guys even if the humans are bad guys too.

Regardless of what twist you want to put on the barely existent story, it's poorly written and poorly presented and has huge gaps that may or may not have explanations in the future.

It's not okay to do that in a $60 game. You don't get to say "Well that $60 game you bought was a pile of nonsense, but if you buy this other $60 game or this $30 expansion pass we'll explain some of it." An individual piece of content you're selling at a high price has to be self-sufficient. Compare it to Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or whatever. There's an overarching story you don't get the full brunt of if you just read the first book or see the first film, but those books and films are entertaining and satisfying in their own right. Or if you want to compare it to TV, compare it to something like Breaking Bad. Totally serialized, but if you only watch the first season, or even just the first episode, you're likely to come away having enjoyed yourself and maybe you have questions but you also have seen some advancement.

Destiny is just a bunch of crap jumbled together. It doesn't even offer interesting questions so much as just leave massive amounts of stuff unexplained. It's bad bad storytelling and even if it gets better in the future, the first game's crappy story will never have been excusable in a $60 product.