Destiny: You down with PVP?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So after playing playing and enjoying the multiplayer in the beta and alpha, I finally got around to going back to multiplayer the other day, and I got stomped petty hard by players using weapons that I've never even heard of. It was a little ridiculous, and wasn't very fun.

For those who have been playing and enjoying Destiny multiplayer lately, are there any specific weapons that I should try to get? Any exotics or legendary weapons that I should look for?

Speaking of which, I recently received my first exotic weapon bounty, and can work towards Thorn, Invective, or Bad Juju. Are any of those currently good for multiplayer?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thorn used to be terrible, but they recently buffed it to the point where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Definitely go with that one.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Invective is a decent shotgun for MP, but there are better exotics shotguns (and also better legendary shotguns). Juju is pretty useless in PVP (as are pulse rifles in general). If you're strictly looking for a PVP weapon, Thorn is the best of those bounties.

Honestly, depends on your playstyle and weapon preferences. I use a pre-expansion Vanquisher AR (New Monarchy vendor; the expansion Vanquisher has worse perks but it's still probably the best high impact, low ROF vendor AR), a Hide and Seek shotgun with some decent perks (though mostly any shotgun will do, really; shotgun play is more about just being a better player than the other person), and a Truth as my exotic. The only thing I could universally recommend would be Truth, but, unfortunately for you, Xur was just selling it last weekend, so odds are you won't see it for sale for another long while, but maybe you'll get lucky and he will or you'll get it from a Nightfall. Before I got the Truth, I was using a random drop Swarm (high impact, low ROF LMG) that had increased accuracy while crouching and fast reload after a kill, and that did really well for me, but Truth is just too hilariously broken to not use.

As for stuff I don't use, a lot of people use Plan C or Pocket Infinity (or now Murmur, from TDB quest storyline) if you're into fusion rifles. Suros Regime is still pretty popular, as are Thorn, Hawkmoon (if you're on Sony), Vex Mythoclast, Praedyth's Revenge, and Found Verdict, but this has basically just turned into 'me listing out most of the good weapons in the game.'

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Zevvion

The Crucible is a shitty experience on your first couple of matches. You'll feel like the game is unbalanced as you get killed by so many things, so quickly.

It is very balanced however. I play everyday and unless there is some weird lag going on, getting killed is usually my own fault. You just need to get familiar with the ways people can kill you and you'll soon be able to recognize danger beforehand, rather than afterwards. That's when it gets really fun.

Thorn is, and always was, amazing in the Crucible. Mark of the Devourer makes sure you need less shots to finish people off and you can actually move for cover before you've killed them. It can be used tactically because of this and it is a good way to get Post-Mortem medals.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Balance is shit but it's still relatively fun. Don't go in expecting to do better because you're better at the game than someone else, expect the person with the better weapon to win.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Balance is shit but it's still relatively fun. Don't go in expecting to do better because you're better at the game than someone else, expect the person with the better weapon to win.

That's not true at all. The balance is very good, if a little more complex than a standard shooter with only a handful of different weapons. If you know what the opposition is using and engage them appropriately, no weapon is undefeatable.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: So let's say everyone in the game has a shotgun except you and all of them know how to shotgun slide effectively. You die instantly whenever you round a corner and your best hope is kiting, but in the process of kiting you back up into another shotgun. Balance.

I realize it's not worth making this argument because you have to be completely oblivious to think Destiny is balanced, but for the sake of argument, that finest thing argument, my dear love argument, I shall make an argument.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@fredchuckdave said:

@ll_exile_ll: So let's say everyone in the game has a shotgun except you and all of them know how to shotgun slide effectively. You die instantly whenever you round a corner and your best hope is kiting, but in the process of kiting you back up into another shotgun. Balance.

I realize it's not worth making this argument because you have to be completely oblivious to think Destiny is balanced, but for the sake of argument, that finest thing argument, my dear love argument, I shall make an argument.

Shotguns have such low range that you can only die from them in close quarters. If the entire team is using shotguns you simply need to avoid close quarters. Time to kill is low enough for you to be able gun down anyone before they get close enough to kill you as long as you keep to mid range engagements.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Zevvion

No, you've probably been playing one class and very specific types of weapons. Once you play all classes you learn their strengths and weaknesses. Same for using guns. People who think shotguns are overpowered never used them before and don't know what to do against them. Same with stuff like Bladedancers. That Super really isn't any good at all unless you have your timing down right and have a little bit of luck. Shotguns wielders are instant kills for me, unless I messed up or they were able to sneak up on me.

The game is very balanced. There is just a lot to know. It reminds me of Hearthstone in a weird way. You kind of need to know all the different types of death in your way to know what to expect and how to adjust. If you don't, then you can get overwhelmed easily.

There's just a little more to it than the average shooter. But it's not unbalanced.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Crucible is pretty balanced apart from Supers but hey thats what supers are for. You can go into the crucible with a level 5 and the starter rifle and still come out on top playing against level 29's. Whenever you feel like weapons are tearing you up a lot faster than usual then it's probably lag.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I've had a decent experience in crucible without having crazy weapons. The only advantages I noticed were maybe if a weapon reloads faster, or is more accurate. I was holding my own with starting equipment for awhile.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I was playing and doing well at level 5 just recently. I'm level 14 now and haven't noticed much of a difference beyond comfort with maps and a heavy weapon. Granted I only really enjoy Control it seems.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

@nickhead said:

I've had a decent experience in crucible without having crazy weapons. The only advantages I noticed were maybe if a weapon reloads faster, or is more accurate. I was holding my own with starting equipment for awhile.

I was playing and doing well at level 5 just recently. I'm level 14 now and haven't noticed much of a difference beyond comfort with maps and a heavy weapon. Granted I only really enjoy Control it seems.

Control's really the only mode worth a damn, so that's no surprise.

I felt the same way as you guys when I was sub-20; I held my own well enough and had KDs above 1.00 most of the time. Once you hit 20 and are able to start customizing your gear and build, though, things really open up. Now I regularly post KDs between 5.00 and 10.00, and I'm furious if I'm below 3.00. The differences between stats and perks on gear and guns don't seem like much, but on an otherwise-level playing field, they make a world of a difference.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By VeggiesBro

@spaceinsomniac: You should definitely get Thorn. As others have mentioned. It's very good in PvP provided you use it's range effectively. Also, assuming you can headshot folks, it's basically a three hit kill.

Also, don't listen to folks saying pulse rifles are terrible in PvP. Get the stranger's rifle for finishing the last mission on Mars, or even Bad Juju. If you use Bad Juju properly, you can tear folks apart AND gain super energy with it. 3-4 bursts will take anything down no problem, that may seem like a lot, but its fire rate is ridiculous. Just like anything in Crucible, it just takes getting used to and some folks have it stuck in their head that because bad juju is a pulse rife it's automatically bad.

Edit - You should also avoid run and gun tactics in the crucible for the most part.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got my first 15 kill streak last night thanks to Thorn. Definitely sticking to a hand cannon when I do the Crucible from now on. It is ridiculously powerful.

Avatar image for captain1ndustry
Captain1ndustry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain1ndustry

It is a balanced and fun experience if you're willing to put with a few hours of ass kickings to learn the ebb and flow. Once you do, you'll find yourself enjoying the game and be able to see the blunders you were making earlier on. Once you get to that point don't quit otherwise you'll find yourself in my situation, being disheartened by being constantly destroyed and having to learn the game again.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Once I got a good gun it got a lot better. I mean, I was doing okay with blue weapons, but one I got my purple shotgun, I ended up doing much better. I think that skill counts, obviously, but you can only have so much skill when everyone else has epic/legendary gear with awesome stats and bonuses.

I think that PVP is fun, but I admit that it's more fun when you have better gear. At least in my experience.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea you know me.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I stopped Destiny entirely, including the Crucible. Crucible could be awesome but the complete lack of modes, playlists, and balance have made it a mess in my opinion. I got an Xbone for Christmas and picked up the Master Chief collection. Even when busted that multiplayer is so much better than Destiny. Even outside of the Iron Banner, like @jadegl said, the gear you have makes a big deal. While the damage might be across the board the "extras" still exist like holding more ammo, going invisible, etc. I still don't think Bungie has a clue on how to balance all the systems they threw into the game.

I'm at the "maybe they'll figure it out in Destiny 2" stage.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

Agreed.

Having said that though, once you pimp up it's very fun to slaughter everyone with good weapons.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just give me CTF. Please.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PrivodOtmenit
@sammo21 said:

I'm at the "maybe they'll figure it out in Destiny 2" stage.

Yeah, fingers crossed they assign more than just the building's janitor to work on the sequel's content.

Or better yet, just give us Oni 2. (nobody wants this....nobody should either)

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grelik

The PvP is balanced in the sense that everything but primary weapons will one shot you. I enjoy the PvP quite a bit, but there are moments of frustration where you do run through a string of instant, seemingly unavoidable deaths.

I still think secondary ammo should be much less readily available than it is currently. Would help make it a little more interesting by increasing the TTK in most engagements from instant to at least 0.5 seconds.

I can't wait for the next Iron Banner though. Anyone know when it is? I can't seem to find a calendar or anything regarding the next one.