Grimoire points in Destiny

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MichaelBach

When playing you unlock "grimoire" and when you log in to Bungie.net you can see a number for it and some cards of some sort. Is it possible to use these for anything?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No clue, seems stupid that you have to go to their website and you can't look at them in game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Corevi

It's just lore. That's it.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well they need generic shit to fill up their website and apps with and this is it. Its an activision game after all.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super bummed this isn't a codex in the game itself. I don't want to go to their dumb site to learn all this lore stuff. I would much rather do it in game, you know, while I am playing it. Going to their site feels like home work. I'm a grown ass man. I don't want home work with my games.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By roland_d11

@rethla: Bungie seems to have learned that practice (hiding lore outside of the game) from 343 Industries. They did that nonsense in Halo 4 as well...

rniemeijer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't checked all the grimoire cards i unlocked, but some give little bonuses. Like glimmer bonus for enemy cards and a weapon xp boosts for weapon cards.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By extintor

The grimoire cards are essentially 'out of game' text logs. I've been reading them and they are actually pretty interesting and give a sense of context for what is going on in the game... which is a context that is (ridiculously) completely unavailable within the game itself.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

You can also use the phone app to look at the cards. It's kinda clunky and essential the website on your phone, but we love companion apps, right?

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By extintor

For example, in this week's bombcast, Jeff and Brad were saying that they hoped that there would be more than 4 areas.

The grimoire does seem to strongly suggest that there are nine.

No Caption Provided

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@james_hayward: Oh, that it pretty interesting!

Thank you for all the answers guys, much appreciated!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I get that its lore, and thats cool and all but...why the devil don't they have an ingame codex for this stuff?

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By extintor
@corvak said:

I get that its lore, and thats cool and all but...why the devil don't they have an ingame codex for this stuff?

my guess is that they conceive of Destiny as being super co-op focused and they don't want to spend time delivering story as audio or text logs that would interrupt or cut into time spent with friends doing 'stuff'... this is also probably the reason why there are so little exposition via cutscene & so few NPCs used to deliver narrative.

It has to be by choice (and not oversight) when you consider the huge budget and development time.

HelicopterSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish they had found a way to contextualize this stuff in game. I think it would go a long way towards helping Bungie's case for why one would want to spend 10 years in this universe.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sterling

For example, in this week's bombcast, Jeff and Brad were saying that they hoped that there would be more than 4 areas.

No Caption Provided

I wonder if that is the expansions though.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Good point... also just because it is in the lore doesn't mean you will be able to go there... I hope all of those places will be available tough. It does sound like Bungie is planning for the long haul, so for sure more places will come. I am having fun so far, strikes, crusible and public events are my favorite so far.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@james_hayward said:

No Caption Provided

Also one of those is The City, which the Tower is part of.

Seraphx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling:

And some people would rather not be overloaded with data while they are trying to experience the here and now of the story flow. If you really care, reading it on a website or in-game shouldn't be a big deal. If you can't be bothered to read through a website, then you really don't care enough to take the time, so it doesn't matter one way or the other. When you are trying to play with friends, stopping everyone just so you can read is selfish. Plus, it takes that much longer. Most likely, you'd end up reading the stuff later on your own time anyway. So, what's the difference if you login to the game and read it all or login to a website and read it all.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just have a database in the hub area. The idea that it would interfere with anything is ludicrous. And the idea that finding out more about the world would ruin the flow of the game is ludicrous. Stop saying crazy things.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seraphx2 said:

@sterling:

And some people would rather not be overloaded with data while they are trying to experience the here and now of the story flow. If you really care, reading it on a website or in-game shouldn't be a big deal. If you can't be bothered to read through a website, then you really don't care enough to take the time, so it doesn't matter one way or the other. When you are trying to play with friends, stopping everyone just so you can read is selfish. Plus, it takes that much longer. Most likely, you'd end up reading the stuff later on your own time anyway. So, what's the difference if you login to the game and read it all or login to a website and read it all.

Your assuming you would forced to read during game play and not at your leisure from the menu. Also, not every plays with other people.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@james_hayward said:

No Caption Provided

Also one of those is The City, which the Tower is part of.

I picked up a dead ghost and it gave me a card for Jupiter - so they aren't necessarily explorable areas.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Strife777

I'm pretty sure there are challenges associated to some of the cards, such as kill this many enemies and you'll get this "perk". There is a video of a guy explaining it from the beta, I'm gonna try and find it.

Disclaimer: I haven't received the game yet, so maybe that's already proven to be wrong/removed.

Edit: Here it is. Again, not sure if that actually applies.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sterling

@strife777: Yeah, if you look at the cards on the site, it shows like x/100 for level 1, and there are 3 levels. And with each level you get better drops. Either ammo, money or parts for missions. Nothing crazy.

Like this
Like this

Seraphx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling:

Which is exactly my point. If you just go back to it later and don't read it immediately, it's not that hard to just load it up on a website.

BishopRen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seraphx2:

Its not about how much effort it takes, that extra step really just serves to separate the interesting lore from the game, you're distancing the two not only physically, but mentally and in a game that's already sorely lacking on context and flavor its a really poor decision.

Also cross platform integration is dumb marketing mumbo jumbo. There is literally zero practical reason not to have a codex in the game. I mean fuck, every single mass effect game had a fully narrated codex in game if you wanted it. It didn't slow you down if you didn't want it to, you didn't need to stop to read it every chance you got but the fact that they didn't separate it from the game made me look at it, if it was all hosted on a website I would have completely ignored it, and I'm someone that plays games mostly for their story and details like that.

That coupled with many other design choices in this game shows that either I'm super out of touch with the modern game audience or Bungie is super out of touch with its audience. Judging by the popular and critical reception of this game, I'd venture to guess the latter.