Haven't played Destiny since launch, don't own previous DLC, cheapest way to get Taken King?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

So I'm in the (Probably not particularly unique position) of wanting to play the Taken King but I haven't touched Destiny since launch. This means I have none of the previous DLC and, looking at the playstation store, the way Bungie has distributed its various bundles and expansion passes seems like a total mess. As far as I can tell, I need to buy;

The Expansion Pass (Includes the first two DLC) at £35.The Taken King at £40.But, hold the phone, the Digital Collectors Edition is only £70 and that includes the base game, all three DLC packs, and the limited edition emotes and shaders. For less money than buying the DLC individually.

Am I missing something here? Or is that actually as completely fucked up as it sounds.

Edit: On the PSN store on the console (as oppose to the website) is selling the legendary edition (all the dlc and base game) for £54, so I've bought that. It still seems ridiculous, but it's taken the edge off.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Nope! It's real dumb. I own destiny and both of the expansions and the cheapest way for me to get the legendary edition of the taken king was to buy a physical disc

I live in Australia and the disc was twenty dollars less than the expansion. The pricing for this is real real dumb

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Yes, it's quite fucked up. There shouldn't be this much confusion over the pricing of a game and chopping up its content into chunks.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By johnnymcginley

It's a fucking disaster in my opinion. You'd imagine the majority of the people they are wanting to attract back are base game players who reached 20 and never went further.

It's completely ridiculous to me to have to buy a game I already bought again to access DLC content.

Why could they not put out a DLC only for Destiny owners for say £30?

It's the one thing putting me off getting it. The cheapest I can see is £54.99 on the Playstation Store. Madness.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Captain_Insano

I'm in a similar situation (owned and mostly enjoyed Bade game to level 20, haven't touched it since) so my choice is:

- to not get any of it

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flameboy84

I've found myself wondering the same....I own a physical copy of destiny on Xbox One and can't see anyway to digitally buy it that's reasonably priced.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By butano

The cheapest option for me (never bought any of the DLCs and had the physical disk) was going to Gamestop and trading in my copy of Destiny for the Legendary Edition for $40, which gives you everything. Deal's going on until Sept. 21.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sweep  Moderator

It's a fucking disaster in my opinion. You'd imagine the majority of the people they are wanting to attract back are base game players who reached 20 and never went further.

It's completely ridiculous to me to have to buy a game I already bought again to access DLC content.

Why could they not put out a DLC only for Destiny owners for say £30?

It's the one thing putting me off getting it. The cheapest I can see is £54.99 on the Playstation Store. Madness.

There should be a subscription model where you can just pay once, say £150 or something, and it guarantees you all content past and future. That way you can sign up at any time and you don't feel like you're being cheated into paying more for new content, or that you're shelling out more money for old DLC which is now redundant.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sweep: To be fair, everything about Destiny (other than the actual shooting) has also been a mess since before launch.

I think the cheapest ways to get everything nowadays is trade in your retail copy at Gamestop and get the retail copy with everything for $40 after tradein.

The next cheapest would be retail at Best Buy with Gamer Club unlocked, which would get you it for ~$48.

Both options are cheaper than buying all the expansions themselves, if you're like me and made the poor decision to go digital with Destiny at launch.

I've almost considered doing the BB route as I have GCU, then I remember that I don't actually play Destiny and instead go to play MGS5.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being in a similar situation, I'm just going to buy the legendary edition that has everything packed in. Even if I don't need another copy of the base game, $40 for Taken King and $20 for all the other DLC is still cheaper than buying them separately.

Although I am also broke right now, so I'll probably just wait until the legendary edition is around $40 anyway.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butano said:

The cheapest option for me (never bought any of the DLCs and had the physical disk) was going to Gamestop and trading in my copy of Destiny for the Legendary Edition for $40, which gives you everything. Deal's going on until Sept. 21.

Yep, this is what I did as well. It's really the best way to go if you want to play The Taken King and haven't bought any DLC yet, provided you still own the original disk.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sweep  Moderator

@hippie_genocide: @silver-streak:
Yeah I own the disk but I live in Singapore right now and, as far as I know, there's nowhere I can easily trade it in. I guess I could try and flip it on Amazon Marketplace or Ebay or something.... but even then it's only going to make a small dent in the cost.

Also I'd like to mention how bullshit it is that the US price and the UK price are so completely out of sync for digital content. The Taken King costs you guys $40 and it costs us £40, despite the conversion rate sitting at £0.65 to $1.

Mostly though I'm just annoyed by how counter-intuitive all this DLC stuff is, and it seems likely that it's been deliberately done this way just to trick people into spending more money. Why are we still having to pay full price for DLC that's being made mostly redundant by NEWER overpriced DLC? The whole thing is dumb.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: I'm in Ireland where the exchange rate is $1 to €0.89 so it's not as bad as the UK folk are getting screwed but the pricing here is either €20 for the expansions (or €35 if you buy the season pass) and €40 for The Taken King or €70 for everything, saving you €5.

Gamestop here aren't doing the deal of trading in your old copy of Destiny to get the new one for €40 so that's just not an option. An old copy of Destiny will get you about €10 cash or €15 credit when you trade it in with Gamestop who are charging €80 for a boxed copy of TTK Legendary.

And I completely agree with you on the last point. Most of the DLC from "Year One" is already pointless. It's there for legacy sake and if you want to see it. Even the old expansions in WoW still have a point as you'll use them to level up characters and you can still go to their dungeons which is a great way to get XP but the DLC from Destiny is basically all end game stuff that with maybe the exception of the PVP maps is completely useless now.

I would probably pay €40 to get an up to date copy of Destiny and play it for about a month until I got bored again (unless there's been great changes to what I disliked). But I'm not paying more than that.

It's just another bullet point on the list of let downs that Destiny has brought to us.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yeah, the weird pricing stuff is the one thing preventing me from jumping back into Destiny. Hopefully they'll have a cheaper bundle available around holiday time.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard

You think that's bad? I own the base game and House of Wolves. Know what that means? I'M COMPLETELY FUCKED. If I actually gave a fuck anymore and wanted TTK, I might as well have just burnt the money I spent on HoW. It would cost me £20 to get The Dark Below, and £40 for TTK, meaning I would have spent £80 on Destiny expansions. RIDICULOUS. It's not even cheaper for me to get the Digital Collectors Edition at this point. And I see no justification for even needing the other two expansions other than "money."

In other news, MGSV is in my life now so who cares. Plus Fallout and Just Cause are on the horizon.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just have the base game (digital) and enjoyed playing through the main game and doing the strike playlists for a bit. I'm pretty behind on my gaming so I only actually got around to playing Destiny in the last few months. PVP and the raids don't really interest me. I'd like to play the new content but I just can't justify the price of entry for someone who already has the base game digitally. It seems my only options in Canada are:

1. Expansion Pass ($35) + The Taken King ($40) = $65
  2. The Taken King Package with base game = $80

So $65 is the cheaper option, but it seems like a crazy price to pay for what I would get out of it. I'll wait to see if the expansion pass goes on sale or if they put out some other kind of bundle eventually.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayve86: $75 is the cheaper option for you, you've lost $10 in your math.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Yes you're right I noticed that after. So for an extra $5 I get some bonus content and can sell the base game if I get the disc version. But it seems like the base version is basically useless now so I probably wouldn't be able to sell it for more than $5 anyway.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came here to ask this very question. I'm mildly interested in The Taken King, but since I didn't buy the previous DLC it seems I have to pay $80CDN, which is absurd. I should't have to buy a full priced game to get an expansion. The two previous DLC packs didn't seem like anything major for someone like me who doesn't care about PvP or really any of the multiplayer that requires a group who know what they are doing. It just seems strange to require DLC in order to buy the expansion, or force people to pay for content they have no interest in. Now I'm in a position where I'll probably just wait a few months and buy the new disc version for $30 from someone on Kijiji.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bungie sure understands how to confuse people into getting out their wallets.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By OldManLight

as someone who owns the digital version on PS4 but owns a physical disc with all the DLC on Xbox One, i'm in a bad spot as far as the PS4. If i want to play The Taken King on PS4, i'd have to buy the $60 legendary edition of the game which does get me access to the $40 worth of DLC that has come before ($35 if you bought the expansion pass) and the new $40 The Taken King DLC. So by buying the $60 bundle that includes everything, you're sort of saving $15-20 on the DLC if you can just forget you bought a full priced $60 game last year that equates to no value now. Glass half full situation if i ever saw one.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found out that I'm stuck at 34. I own destiny and never bought any of the DLC. I got back in to see how level changes and other things to decide if I wanted to get taken king. It didn't take me long to go from 32 to 34. the new level cap is 40. However without any of the DLC they will not let me past 34. So now I have turned it off. I must either get DLC somehow or never play destiny again. I will not remain 6 levels behind everyone and not be able to equip stuff cause I'm underleveled. Why not let me level like the did with other DLC, just not play new missions?

I'm think I'm done with desitny.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dayve86

@cameron: The problem with waiting to buy a used version is that the disc these new bundles come with are just the base Destiny game. The DLC and Taken King are just unlocked by one time use codes that come in the retail packaging. Because of this the price of entry is always going to be controlled by Bungie as I can't see many people buying those packs and not using the codes before they go to sell.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm in the same boat, haven't played the game since after launch, all the changes look interesting, but I'm on the fence about trying it again. A story would be a nice change.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dayve86 said:

@cameron: The problem with waiting to buy a used version is that the disc these new bundles come with are just the base Destiny game. The DLC and Taken King are just unlocked by one time use codes that come in the retail packaging. Because of this the price of entry is always going to be controlled by Bungie as I can't see many people buying those packs and not using the codes before they go to sell.

Oh, wow, that stinks. Thanks for telling me this. I guess I'll just have to wait even longer until the game is cheap at retail. Destiny was $10 a few weeks ago, so I'm sure if I wait long enough I'll get it for a price that makes sense to me.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i own destiny and house of wolfs. do i need to buy that moon/raid DLC to buy the taken king ?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@butano: Did this myself yesterday and was pretty happy about it. The dlc is pretty over priced but getting all 3 dlcs for 40 bucks is a pretty good deal considering Taken King looks to have some meat on it

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to level 28 and the last time I touched the game was around February. I have read some articles that say if you dont buy the taken king and just play the vanilla game it locks out various things. I dont know about this, im tempted to return but maybe next time.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I went with snagging a Gamefly sell-off sale copy for $15 a couple months ago. Hit the core stuff till cap up until a week before TKK. Then hit gamestop promo of $20 trade in towards TKK legendary edition for $60. Sort of worked out well in the end. Wasn't in the mood to wait till mid-2016 for LE to go on sale via Gamefly again.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in the same boat. I have not played since launch and all this giant price tag to get back into the game made me do is delete it from my hard drive.

NecroMongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not gonna buy it until there is a price drop; I think it's pretty poor form to make the people that bought all the original content basically buy it all again.

randombattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The best part is all of the old dlc content is not updated to drop year 2 gear. So buying the first year dlc is completely pointless as it will just be immediately invalidated by anything in the taken king.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wonder how long it'll be before they release a goty edition or something. That game is almost a year old by now.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Barrabas

@i_stay_puft: As far as I know game of the year editions don't tend to come out until all the DLC is done, so who knows. There's no way this game lasts the 10 years they said it would without a sequel, but I could see more still coming for this one before they pull the trigger on Destiny 2.