Just started, but this game feels really lonely...

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbk486

I'm only level 10 on my Warlock, but this game makes me feel incredibly isolated (at least so far) .

I just bought a PS4 and so I have no PSN friends yet, and so it's impossible for me to get a group going. Why is there no public matchmaking for the story missions? Even for stuff where there is match making, like the Crucible or the strike, nobody seems to use mics other than me and so there is no way to communicate or coordinate. It also seems odd that there is no public chat when you are near people either in the Tower or out on any of the planets.

All this is making me want to stop playing if the situation doesn't change soon.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SadPatrol

I felt this way about the Alpha, the Beta, and even the final release. It feels isolating if you don't have a group of friends to play with. I spent most my time doing strike missions since they actually have matchmaking. Sadly, the story missions do not.

Mikey1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the many glaring issues with Destiny.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Well... it doesn't. You can go up to people on the tower and ask them to join you on a story mission can you not?

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey1138:

It sucks because I like the combat a lot, but these other aspects seem almost designed to turn people away (which is baffling).

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos:

Everyone in the tower is close to max level for me. Is there any reason as to why they'd want to re-run old missions? Also how would I message them (a psn message)?

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@cbk486: You can see in the menu which players exist in your 'instance', then you can click on the name and I believe there's an option to add them to your fireteam (with a message).

Do they get anything out of a level 10 mission as a level 30+? Nope. They do run the same missions as you do still, but the difficulty is set higher so they'll get some resources at the end that they can use to upgrade gear.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

You hit the point that anyone sane up and left the game. The rest of us who keep playing for some unholy reason are actually paired up with people while the lowbies are stuck by themselves. Kind of like most mmos.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@cbk486: I had the same experience. It get's better with strikes because they will match you with people for those, but the raids have no LFG option in the game. There are a couple of websites (http://www.destinylfg.net/) and people post when they want to raid (it's worked out well so far).

If you want someone to run stuff, you can add me on PSN l4d0g (it's a zero not an oh) and I'll be more than happy to jump in and play with you if you're online.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. That's... that's destiny....

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Junkboy

Send me an invite on psn just "Junkboy" not home now but I'll accept and help you when home. When I started I basically did the entire game as a duo with one of my best friends but I could see how it would seem barren alone.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played around 1 hour of the demo and thought the game was incredibly dull and lifeless. I have no idea how any one would consider this to be as well playing as any Halo game, it really isn't. It seems to have the depth and complexity of a mobile game. Sorry about the rant, I know I'm not really capable of giving a nuanced opinion on a game I have played for around an hour. Then again I did think I would like it, since I do have a soft spot for mindless loot based shooters.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@cbk486: As others have told you - thats basically the entire game. The problem which you're experiencing now will only get bigger and more pervasive as time goes on. The mere fact that you would ask what the benefits of running the same mission again are or why you would do it just shows that you may not fully understand the full nature of this game, and when you do realize it you may be in for a very disappointing realization.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos: There's no quick way to do it without just looking at them and inviting them. So you're walking up to strangers and just inviting them without talking to them first. Or you have to inspect them, open their gamertag/psn profile, send them a message (if they allow it) asking if they want to play. And most of them will be as the OP said many levels higher than him. There's no LFG in the game and there's no chat client. So you can't advertise yourself as "LFG for levels 5-10" or "LFG for strike playlists".

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Anund

@civid said:

Played around 1 hour of the demo and thought the game was incredibly dull and lifeless. I have no idea how any one would consider this to be as well playing as any Halo game, it really isn't. It seems to have the depth and complexity of a mobile game. Sorry about the rant, I know I'm not really capable of giving a nuanced opinion on a game I have played for around an hour. Then again I did think I would like it, since I do have a soft spot for mindless loot based shooters.

Yeah, it's basically a mobile game. That doesn't at all sound like what someone who doesn't like a game out of spite would say or anything.

Kteven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar situation, I have been looking for people to play with since Christmas and have had no luck so far. My PSN name is Kteven so you can add me and we can group up if you want.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zenmastah

The only real problem with no matchmaking to me is with raids, having no IRL friends on my PSN friends list comes down to not having done any of them and ive got like 100+ hours on Destiny.

One of these days ill get to experience what ive read is the best part of the damn game, im sure of it.

I dont have any problems with not having matchmaking other than that really, it works on strikes just fine and PvP of course.

deereks on PSN btw.

GMT+2

FattyForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda agree, I literally only have one friend in my ps4 annd it makes me mad that I can't play the raid, yeah sure there's websites to look for players and stuff but I'm a pretty socially awkward person and doing that kinda stuff is hard for me!

It's total bullshit that bungie refuses to add matchmaking because you need teamwork, when mmos like wow have been doing it for years and you need just as much teamwork for their high level raids!

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are constantly inviting me to games, or messaging me for help, and if I'm not doing anything specific then I accept. As far as the raid goes, hell I was just in the area of the Vault of Glass and got sucked in with a group once. Knocked it out, and walked away with some gear and the Last Word.

I'm on the Xbox One, and usually play solo, but I enjoy randomly helping people out. I don't know what it is about the game, but I keep playing it. I have begrudgingly accepted that I like the game despite itself.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES ANOTHER DESTINY BASHING THREAD!

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the match making stuff for campaign, weeklies, nightfall and raids is done on the web site or the phone app under recruitment. The tower has voice chat but, you have to opt in when you spawn. Pull up your ghost and select voice channel. Same goes for match made strikes.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By koolaid

Welcome to Destiny. The MMO with no chat or way to communicate with other players. (Though I do think they've added some kind of chat channel since I've played, but I haven't used it.)

Bungie wants you to play with the friends on your friend list, not randos for some reason. It's fun with friends! But man... I don't get why they don't have more matchmaking/chat options.

What really blows my mind about Destiny is that so many of these problems seemed solved. YEARS AGO, Left 4 Dead showed us how to do co-op with random people. Why is Destiny so scared of it?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The only reason I played Destiny as much as I did was because I had coop buddies and they stopped playing the exact time I stopped playing, we were trying to do the Vault and the entire game seized up for everyone and got so laggy at the last boss we couldn't even try, we were all pretty done by then one of them kept trying to get me to play (He had gotten the season pass) but I am done with that game, what am I getting the loot for? I can't do anything with my fancy weapons, I got my time out of it but I wanted it to be something I could play for years a Halo MMO would have been a dream come true.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By HadesTimes

At level 10, you can do strikes and you can do the crucible as well. Make sure to take the bounties and you will level up in no time. Once you get to around level 20 or so you can start doing the Strike playlists those are matchmade, so if you don't have any friends playing the game you can play those. But I recommend joining a Guild like Lincoln Force and playing with other duders. Trying to find randoms in this game to play story missions is pointless.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Log in to Bungie.net and join a clan. Get to know some people. Any console game is going to feel incredibly lonely unless you seek alternative ways to communicate with others.