• 70 results
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Zevvion

I just finished the DLC. Here are my thoughts.

Short version: It's nothing special, but good to see some new stuff. Don't buy this if you are hoping it makes the game different, because it doesn't. Buy it if you were going to continue playing Destiny anyway; because there is stuff in here you'll like.

UPDATE: I've played parts of the new Raid, Crota's End. Unsurprisingly, it is really fucking cool and a lot of fun. Needless to say that if a new Raid is what you've been waiting for, you should totally get it because this one is really fun to play and it looks cool too. See the video below.

It took me about 3 hours to complete the DLC (Raid not included). Mind you, that's because I was playing solo and on the hardest setting. It shouldn't take you more than 2 otherwise. There are 3 new story missions which have been labelled as 'Quests'. They are no different however. The missions are comprised of about 80% old area's with about 20% new area's in each mission. It basically comes down to one or two new rooms in an existing area. They look cool, but it's so little of it that it's just not impressive.

All missions are relatively short. Next, you will be asked to complete more Quests for Eris (the new vendor). These are basically just Bounties for the most part. One of the Quests is a bit different and actually seems like a legitimate quest. It's still not very complex or interesting, but when you are used to doing just Bounties it is a bit different. I liked it. Once you finish all her Quests, which are 5 or 6 if I recall correctly, you unlock the Nightfall and Weekly. They are the new Strike on Earth.

The PlayStation exlusive Strike is on Mars and it is decent. It suffers from 'slightly larger standard enemy' syndrome as all Strikes do though. So does the new Strike that is available on all systems however.

You will get a Legendary fusion rifle called MurMur for completing the first 3 story missions (Quests) from Eris. It is a neat gun since it can swap between Arc and Solar damage. It looks a bit dull though.

And that's about it. Eris also has daily Bounties (different from Quests, more in line with standard Bounties) that give you a new type of Reputation. You need that Rep to buy stuff from her which mostly included cosmetic items, but also some special upgrade materials that can be bought at Rank 3 to upgrade your newly acquired fusion rifle. She also appears to be able to convert the new Radiant Shards and Energy (needed to upgrade the new Raid armor and weapons) into one another. You need Glimmer as well as something else I forgot, and you will be able to convert a Shard into an Energy or vice versa it seems.

I haven't done the Raid yet, I suppose that is really the main attraction of the DLC. Because the story missions aren't that amazing. They are just regular story missions with a bit more VO than before from Eris. The Strikes are just Strikes. Nothing special. Oh, and by the way, you can now straight up buy armor with Crucible and Vanguard Marks that gets you to Level 31. So Vault of Glass Raid Set is obsolete.

In conclusion, if you are out of Destiny and are wondering if this makes the game different or better: no. Don't buy it. It's nothing special. If you are like me, however, and were going to continue to play Destiny anyway, then yeah, buy it. It's more stuff to do each day and at least there is some new stuff among it. Not to mention more weapons, better armor and stuff like that.

If you were just torn up about the ramp to level up, you might as well stay away also. Yeah, you can straight up buy armor that gets you to 31, but you need Commendations now to buy chest and head gear which is only gotten from leveling up your Rep. So even more grinding to get that. I'm not even going to bother and going straight for the Raid Set.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well as I've already paid my pound of flesh with the pre-order I might as well play the new quests.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Nubster

I don't play Destiny, but hearing that this new DLC has any of the areas from the old game is extremely disappointing. I can understand setting them on the same planets, but charging money to experience old content? I think that my stance on Destiny just went from wait-for-sale to a complete pass.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By sammo21

@the_nubster: Honestly, I don't expect new planets at all in Destiny. I bet they are just scrapping most plans and are fast tracking Destiny 2 which they are already working on. I expect Destiny 2 to be out in 2016 and have all the stuff they didn't/couldn/t do in Destiny.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thatpinguino  Staff

@zevvion: I haven't played Destiny and I plan on skipping it entirely because I don't really like loot games or games with no defined end point. However, I have a question: at what point would you not recommend a Destiny DLC pack for people who already like the game? In your breakdown it seems like all of the new content is just like the old content except with some new dungeon designs and a new rep to grind. That really doesn't seem like a meaningful injection of new content, but Destiny is so grind heavy that any new content could be a breath of fresh air to someone who is still actively playing. So how sparse would a pack have to be to actually get a "Do not purchase" recommendation? Because it seems like you don't actually like the new content that much beyond the fact that it is new, yet you're going to play it anyway.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zevvion

@the_nubster: I was very surprised to see old area's being reused. Remember Jeff talking about Destiny how two missions just lead through the same area but at one of them you need to take a left at some point, whereas with the other mission you take a right? This DLC is exactly that. You move through existing area's and at some point you enter the new area's. But there really isn't that much of it.

That said, I am still enjoying the game a lot. Like I said, I was going to continue playing Destiny anyway, so this stuff does make it more fun for me.

@thatpinguino said:

@zevvion: I haven't played Destiny and I plan on skipping it entirely because I don't really like loot games or games with no defined end point. However, I have a question: at what point would you not recommend a Destiny DLC pack for people who already like the game? In your breakdown it seems like all of the new content is just like the old content except with some new dungeon designs and a new rep to grind. That really doesn't seem like a meaningful injection of new content, but Destiny is so grind heavy that any new content could be a breath of fresh air to someone who is still actively playing. So how sparse would a pack have to be to actually get a "Do not purchase" recommendation? Because it seems like you don't actually like the new content that much beyond the fact that it is new, yet you're going to play it anyway.

It's true... I don't think the new content is any better than the existing one. It is exactly the same type of stuff with the exception of that one Quest. It's a good question but the people who I still play with were going to continue playing Destiny anyway. Even if there was no new DLC. If you liked Destiny but got out of it, I see no reason to return. I think you are right though because any new content would be a breath of fresh air, but I think I wouldn't recommend DLC if it didn't have any new weapons and a worthy Raid to use it in. This does have new weapons and it does have a new Raid. And to be fair, the Raid has always been the best part of Destiny and I haven't played that yet. I'll play it later tonight. Perhaps I'll get back in here at that point and say it is a must buy for anyone because of it.

But yes, there are new weapons to get and upgrade and a new Raid that apparently features Level 33 enemies on Hard (new Raid Set caps players at 32) so you are going to need it. You know if you are a hardcore Destiny player and if you are you want this. More challenge ahead. But I don't see what's so good about this DLC for anyone but the hardcore Destiny player.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thatpinguino  Staff

@zevvion: Well I guess this is how MMO financial structures work too. The developers add a few new areas, some new raids, some new currency, and turn up some level caps and ta-da you have new content to sell. Then they hope that the new content will last long enough that people don't leave before the next content comes out. Do you think that every new DLC is going to invalidate all of the items from the old DLC and from the main game? You said that they made level 31 accessible without playing the raid, so does that do anything to offset your loot lust?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What a massive downer, the fact that there isn't really any "new" areas just speaks volumes about how shallow this fucking game is, there was barley anything there to begin with I got my 60 bucks out of it they sure as hell aren't getting 80.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Fucking raid tiers.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just see Destiny as a colossal disappointment; not economically since it made money, but certainly it is a gameplay and artistic disappointment. I'm certainly totally uninterested in the next game unless they have some sort of 'Mea culpa' moment where they say they will cut back on the MMO parts and expand that character, dialogue and story elements. But it really would have to be a 'wow, we fucked up' apology and change of direction for me to care.

I really can't imagine this ten year contract with Activision lasting that long. I simply cannot see Destiny being 'at thing' in 2020 when the contact was set to end. It will be like Resistance in the last generation, just more profitable. The Resistance games were not terrible, they just were not very good. Insomniac Games just kept compounding mistakes and doubling down on bad design until in the end they were neurotic enough to put out Fuse.

The difference will be Bungie and Activision will do fine financially because they will make a modest profit from the venture. However, that financial stability will come at the expense of Bungies reputation. When hyper turns sour all a company that is still profitable is doing is using reputation as quick fuel.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really appreciate that your review/thoughts has a short and a full version. =) Also thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of checking it out but since it doesn't really change the game I may just pass for now.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pyrodactyl

For a moment there I thought you were saying you completed the story missions, the strikes and the raid in 3 hours. Got me a little worried for a minute.

But you haven't played the raid so what you're saying is you've not played the DLC. Hey, I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for the stuff you did but I would probably pay 15 for a new raid alone. Too bad the other stuff is so similar to the old stuff. I didn't expect much more from the short time they had to put this thing together anyway.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've been watching streams of the raid and honestly, after watching it, I'm not very excited to play the raid at all. The worst is that the raid, the prime attraction if you will, looks to be about 90% reused assets.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just passed the first two parts of the raid, It's literally the only thing that makes it wourth it. I loved it since six of us went in with zero prior knowledge, that fucking Bridge if a BITCH. I waited to be the last one and had to solo the swordbearer since other had already wiped us and it was a FREAKING BLAST to play. Before I said I didn't care as long as the new Raid was just as intricate and different from the rest of the game like VoG was and this new one has matched it. If you loved VoG the expansion is wourth it.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't going to get it (at $20) unless news came out that it was super good. Sounds like it was exactly like I pictured it to be. A few story missions that take no time to beat and a strike, all rehashing the same enemies and environments.

Honestly... as I'm typing that description out, it feels like this would be free DLC in some other games. Yet it is more expensive than most DLC packages. I hope it doesn't work out for them and they at least price this madness more reasonably.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Y2Ken

I waited until seeing some of it today, but I've decided I'm going to play it. I'm still playing the main game and enjoying it, and given that the Raid is absolutely the standout thing in that game (to the point where it single-handedly makes the Strikes feel kinda lacking) I'm looking forward to the new one. Seems to be giving people a fair bit of challenge for now. Definitely agree that if you'd fallen off Destiny already, or steered clear in the first place, you shouldn't pick this up. It's not going to change your mind about the game at all if you aren't still having fun with it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zevvion

@pyrodactyl said:

For a moment there I thought you were saying you completed the story missions, the strikes and the raid in 3 hours. Got me a little worried for a minute.

But you haven't played the raid so what you're saying is you've not played the DLC. Hey, I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for the stuff you did but I would probably pay 15 for a new raid alone. Too bad the other stuff is so similar to the old stuff. I didn't expect much more from the short time they had to put this thing together anyway.

Keep in mind that most people don't play the Raid to begin with. Even fewer finish it.

But I will update my thoughts once I have played it later tonight.

@thatpinguino Yeah, it kind of sucks. I thought for weeks that I should keep Raiding to make sure I was Level 30 for when the expansion comes out. In truth, I should've just hogged Ascendant Shards, not spending them on the Raid Set, to buy the new armor and immediately hit 31. It's such a weird thing. That said, leveling to 30 did make me able to do the Hard Raid a lot better which got me more weapons.

I'll still go do the new Raid every week to get to 32. Even though they'll probably sell armor to get you to 33 for the next expansion probably. But 30 is high enough to do the new Raid on Normal which should get you to 32 anyway. So it's not a huge deal.

The bigger deal for me is how you'll have to re-level-up your Exotics. That kind of sucks, especially since you can only do it when Xur is around and even then it is somewhat random as to which weapons you'll be able to refit to have higher damage. I might need to wait a couple of weeks before my preferred Exotics are up for refitting. That's dumb.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Keep in mind that most people don't play the Raid to begin with. Even fewer finish it.

Those people shouldn't buy the DLC. If they haven't figured that out by now I don't know what to tell them. Seriously, if you didn't enjoy the VoG and aren't way deep in the feature poor PvP, Destiny sounds like a terrible game instead of a disappointing game. If you buy DLC for a terrible game I can't help you (general you).

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I certainly think Destiny is disappointing, but it is still one of the best games I've played. But yeah, we are in agreement: the DLC is for people who are way into Destiny and are still playing it regardless.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By koolaid

@zevvion: Part of why I'm kinda upset at the DLC is because it feels like I've played it already. Let me take a guess at what the story missions are like: You go to the moon. You go into those catacombs or whatever. You fight a bunch of thralls and acolytes with a kinght or two. Sometimes a wizard shows up. If things REALLY want to get crazy, maybe an ogre or one of those crystal purple laser ball thingys. One or two of the missions has a boss which is like a super wizard or super knight or something. Then you are done.

How accurate was this description?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thatpinguino  Staff

@zevvion: So do the higher level weapons in Destiny do noticeably more damage or do the enemies just scale with you so you have basically the same gameplay experience at all times? Cause if the higher level weapons just unlock high level content that is the same as low level content except all the numbers are higher, then I don't see what the appeal of higher level weapons is. In most of the games I enjoy the high level prestige weapons give you a huge advantages over all but the strongest enemies in the game, and those enemies are usually unique in some way. But if the ordinary goblin just kept scaling with my star-killing sword I don't know why I would get the star-killing sword in the first place.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoFooQ

I still play destiny, but I'm not buying DLC. Basically I trying to make a stand against buying stuff that I don't feel is worth it. The main game was so thin, and bungie had promised so much I feel this should be free add on. I play pvp, but I don't really care about more maps. If they wanted to sell map pack for those who wanted it, fine. Instead they wrap the whole thing up into one package and sell it for twice the value. We need to stop buying and rewarding companies for stuff that isn't good. We need to stop preordering games with season pass attached well before game comes out. I do still play destiny and maybe some day I will get DLC but not now and not at this price.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I now changing my last level headed posting.

Fuck Bungie! this week's heroic and nightfall missions are in DLC, which means I can't play them. This will also mean going forward they there will be many of this missions I will not be able to play, and when the next part of DLC comes out even more I will not be able to play. I was fine with the idea of you want more stuff give us more money. However, they are now basically taking things I've had away unless I give them more money. FUCK THAT.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

sounds lame I wish there was more stuff to do in this game, the game play is awesome but I do not like doing the same thing over and over again, there are just to many games I have to try and finish before Jan 1st to finish my top 10 games of the year to play this right now. Maybe I will get into it next year give me something to play while waiting for bloodbourn we have 3 months with not much I am looking forward to.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koolaid said:

@zevvion: Part of why I'm kinda upset at the DLC is because it feels like I've played it already. Let me take a guess at what the story missions are like: You go to the moon. You go into those catacombs or whatever. You fight a bunch of thralls and acolytes with a kinght or two. Sometimes a wizard shows up. If things REALLY want to get crazy, maybe an ogre or one of those crystal purple laser ball thingys. One or two of the missions has a boss which is like a super wizard or super knight or something. Then you are done.

How accurate was this description?

Pretty accurate. The only thing is they seem to have ramped up the difficulty. There are significantly more Knights and Wizards around. Also, I think I've seen more Shriekers and Ogre's in this DLC than the entire base game. I don't think there are any new enemies in the DLC though, with the exception of the Raid probably. Only one mission is on the Moon, the rest are on Earth.

@zevvion: So do the higher level weapons in Destiny do noticeably more damage or do the enemies just scale with you so you have basically the same gameplay experience at all times? Cause if the higher level weapons just unlock high level content that is the same as low level content except all the numbers are higher, then I don't see what the appeal of higher level weapons is. In most of the games I enjoy the high level prestige weapons give you a huge advantages over all but the strongest enemies in the game, and those enemies are usually unique in some way. But if the ordinary goblin just kept scaling with my star-killing sword I don't know why I would get the star-killing sword in the first place.

Enemies do not level with you. Content is soft-locked based on the gear you have. This is why Destiny's end game grind is talked about so much. You need better gear to be able to survive and do enough damage to actually win. On high levels of play, the weapon abilities start making a bigger difference than the damage though. Especially the Exotics have some unique and powerful abilities that make encounters easier if you are able to use their abilities to your advantage. I have to say the weapons are, and always felt, pretty balanced to me with some obvious exceptions (Bad JuJu before the patch was horrible, but they have patched it since for example).

It's hard to say how much the newer weapons will matter. Basically, the 'Attack' stat on a gun showed how large its damage potential is. Exotics and Legendaries had an Attack of 300 when fully upgraded. They started out at 230 or so and for the final 30 or so Attack, you needed to use Ascendant Energy (special materials) to unlock its full 300 Attack power. I remember that making a significant difference. I went from having to use two precision shots to only one for many different enemies in that final ramp. The newer weapons have 327 (I believe? Might be 331, don't quote me on it, don't remember that well) Attack. So from previous experience I'm inclined to believe it makes a noticable difference. I only have two of the new weapons right now, the fusion rifle you receive for completing the story DLC and one Scout Rifle dropped from doing the Nightfall. Obviously, I haven't been able to max them out to test.

Old Exotics are able to be refitted like I said before. It basically means you'll receive a more powerful version of that Exotic (capable of getting the new max 327 Attack stat). That sounds awesome because that way your Exotics aren't becoming obsolete. In case you don't know, Exotics are only obtained through tears and playtime so it's a good thing they aren't becoming obsolete. That said, when you refit an Exotic it will lose all its upgrades and abilities, so you'll need to level it back up again and spend even more materials on it. That sucks.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bofooq said:

I now changing my last level headed posting.

Fuck Bungie! this week's heroic and nightfall missions are in DLC, which means I can't play them. This will also mean going forward they there will be many of this missions I will not be able to play, and when the next part of DLC comes out even more I will not be able to play. I was fine with the idea of you want more stuff give us more money. However, they are now basically taking things I've had away unless I give them more money. FUCK THAT.

Yikes! I didn't know that they would lock those events behind a paywall. That seems super-shady because they're taking away existing content.

Thanks for the review, @zevvion. I've been a casual Destiny player and your review just saved me a bit of money (at least until I finish Dragon Age).

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thatpinguino  Staff

@zevvion: So if you grinded the raid, got the exotic you wanted, and then grinded that exotic to its max you have to refit it to raise its ceiling. After all of that they reset your progress on your gun specific upgrades? That sounds like a really shitty way to put you back on the treadmill. But then again, Destiny sound like it is rife with shitty ways to put you back on the same treadmill. I guess it is a testament to the gameplay that so many people seem to be tolerating this stuff.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: So if you grinded the raid, got the exotic you wanted, and then grinded that exotic to its max you have to refit it to raise its ceiling. After all of that they reset your progress on your gun specific upgrades? That sounds like a really shitty way to put you back on the treadmill. But then again, Destiny sound like it is rife with shitty ways to put you back on the same treadmill. I guess it is a testament to the gameplay that so many people seem to be tolerating this stuff.

What is even more fun is that basic Vanguard gear that you can purchase with vanguard marks now outclasses the Vault of Glass raid gear. So if you held off and never did the previous raid, then simply saved up your coins and your marks - you literally come out ahead of everyone that spent hours doing Vault of Glass runs on hard. Your gear would be higher level and you could buy exotics from Xur that are instantly better than the ones you've spent hours leveling up.

The entire idea that weapons wouldn't automatically update to coincide with the new patch is gross as all hell. But making all the raiding completely pointless by making purchasable gear better is on another level of not giving a damn about your playerbase.

Add to that the fact that apparently the new raid cannot be completed without at least 1 person at level 31, and hey, Merry Christmas! Get back on that treadmill everyone, you've still got a ways to go before you can play the normal raid - in which there are enemies at level 32 by the way.

The one team that has beaten it so far had a guy that saved up all his marks, saved up all his bounties and then when the raid day came he purchased an entire new set of gear and leveled it up in order to get to level 31 to beat Crota.

Then add to that a statement by someone over at Bungie about how he's seen the team working on cool new exotic weapons for DESTINY 2, while they still haven't released all the DLC for the first game.. and oh boy.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thatpinguino  Staff

@humanity: Vote with your dollars people! Pick up another addictive treadmill game if that's your thing, but maybe don't reward Bungie for these kinda shady deals. I hear Diablo is good and Borderlands has infinite guns.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Brendan

@sammo21: Yeah, I'm expecting Destiny 2 to be the "real" Destiny where they make it an actually fleshed out full experience. Kind if disappointing with this version but with so much of this future franchise probably already planned out I'm guessing it's almost impossible for them to include much new stuff when other planets are already earmarked for sequels. Destiny is probably a case for not trying to make something too big before it happens. They can't adapt or be nimble. They have big plans and a path they can't deviate that far from without pushing back a bunch of stuff int he roadmap.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bungie should have sold this game with a syringe. That's how they want people to consume it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So bummed I pre paid for this garbage. Never again.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow no new maps and three hours of quests for 20 bucks? That's a rip. Glad I shelved Destiny. Hell I might as well throw it in the garage at this point, it's not like I'll look at it ever again. Honestly if I hadn't been so high the whole time I was playing Destiny I would have quit way earlier.

Instead of a genre-defining shooter like you might expect from Bungie, we got a generic loot-grind like Diablo or something. I cannot stand games that are all about loot, it's about as shallow a mechanic as it gets, it's like the video-game equivalent of a treadmill.

I'm out of Destiny personally, I have no further interest in the franchise. It's like a Halo game but with worse AI, worse guns and fewer, less interesting maps. I thought I'd get something new with Destiny, but it's pretty clear the real talent behind Bungie left years ago or just doesn't care anymore.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bofooq: Holy shit if that is intentional and not some weird bug then that is the scummiest thing they could have done.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq: There are new maps, I didn't mention those. I believe 3 new ones. I've only seen two so far. Cauldron is on the Moon and I really like it. Sky...rock? Is another Bastion/First Light type map. I think it's significantly better than Bastion, but I still don't like low tempo maps so I don't like it.

@humanity: what do you mean you need one person at Level 31 for the new Raid? I believe Bungie said Level 30's could do the Raid immediately. At least on Normal.

Yes, but to be fair, most MMO's don't allow you to upgrade your gear to a higher level version. They only allow you to acquire the new stuff. Having to level it up again is certainly shitty, but at least they allowed you to do it instead of making that gear completely obsolete.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: as far as I know, as of 1 hour ago no group comprised of only level 30's had beaten Crota. Maybe this has changed but the group that did beat Crota had a level 31 in it. The guys I was watching basically had a perfect run going but weren't able to damage him enough before a wipe-event initiated.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

We should just collectively not talk about Destiny anymore. Bungie just looks at numbers, not words. If we all stop bringing up part 1 of the Destiny 10 year saga than maybe they'll get the picture that people want them to finish Destiny 2 before they release it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

We should just collectively not talk about Destiny anymore. Bungie just looks at numbers, not words. If we all stop bringing up part 1 of the Destiny 10 year saga than maybe they'll get the picture that people want them to finish Destiny 2 before they release it.

Look how many GB people alone preordered the DLC, though. This kind of thing isn't going to stop until people stop preordering and blind purchasing garbage.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thatpinguino  Staff

@mb: I'll keep doing my part then!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pyrodactyl

@humanity said:

@thatpinguino said:

What is even more fun is that basic Vanguard gear that you can purchase with vanguard marks now outclasses the Vault of Glass raid gear. So if you held off and never did the previous raid, then simply saved up your coins and your marks - you literally come out ahead of everyone that spent hours doing Vault of Glass runs on hard. Your gear would be higher level and you could buy exotics from Xur that are instantly better than the ones you've spent hours leveling up.

The entire idea that weapons wouldn't automatically update to coincide with the new patch is gross as all hell. But making all the raiding completely pointless by making purchasable gear better is on another level of not giving a damn about your playerbase.

Add to that the fact that apparently the new raid cannot be completed without at least 1 person at level 31, and hey, Merry Christmas! Get back on that treadmill everyone, you've still got a ways to go before you can play the normal raid - in which there are enemies at level 32 by the way.

The one team that has beaten it so far had a guy that saved up all his marks, saved up all his bounties and then when the raid day came he purchased an entire new set of gear and leveled it up in order to get to level 31 to beat Crota.

Then add to that a statement by someone over at Bungie about how he's seen the team working on cool new exotic weapons for DESTINY 2, while they still haven't released all the DLC for the first game.. and oh boy.

You need commendations to buy the lvl 31 gear. You get 1 commendation per rank up in crusible or vanguard which you can redeem for 1 piece of gear. It's still a lot of new grind and not an instant ''get to lvl 31'' free card for noobs. It's useless too since lvl 31 is a no man's land. You'll need to be lvl 30 for the new raid, weekly and nighfall and lvl 32 to even stand a chance in hard mode. If you're lvl 30 right now just go for raid gear straight away and don't waste your time buying useless junk.

Edit: NEVER MIND. Lvl 30 people are fucked in the raid since it goes up to lvl 32. Still might be better to get the raid gear and go up to lvl 31-32 without having to buy 3 pieces of gear.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@zevvion: The raid completion % is very high, I'd venture to guess that virtually everyone who played the game past level 27 did the raid. I'm failry sure Alien: Isolation's single player campaign completion rate is lower than the raid completion rate in Destiny.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zevvion

@fredchuckdave Completion rate isn't that high. Less than 25%. and less than half have even attempted it to begin with.

1,970,807 players have attempted the Raid on Normal

472,082 players have defeated the Raid on Normal

202,729 players have attempted the Raid on Hard

36,181 players have defeated the Raid on Hard

@mb said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Look how many GB people alone preordered the DLC, though. This kind of thing isn't going to stop until people stop preordering and blind purchasing garbage.

I can't speak for anyone else, but where do you get the willpower? I really like Destiny and I really like playing Destiny; even though it is disappointing and even though their reaction to me saying it is disappointing is awful and emotionless.

Even if this DLC was just a new Raid, nothing else, I'd still get it. There are only a handful of games that are burned in my soul though. I rarely buy DLC otherwise. Unless it is actually amazing.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zevvion: If you're enjoying it then what's the problem? A new raid, new MP maps and missions and strikes seems like a pretty good package to me. That's also ignoring the main point of the DLC which is the new gear to level. Seems like plenty to me especially if you're still having a good time with it.

There's problems with this game (give me CTF damn it!) but it's also way overblown how "bad" it is. I can't wait to dive into the new stuff tonight.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@zevvion: as far as I know, as of 1 hour ago no group comprised of only level 30's had beaten Crota. Maybe this has changed but the group that did beat Crota had a level 31 in it. The guys I was watching basically had a perfect run going but weren't able to damage him enough before a wipe-event initiated.

Fuck me, the enemies in there get to lvl 31?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: New maps as in PVP? That's good in that case, the PVP was my favorite part, really. Then, that's not as bad as I thought, but 20 is still asking a lot.

But I was expecting a new planet or "world" map for the PVE out of this.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

32 apparently. Just as level 26 VoG had you up against level 28 guys by the end, level 30 Crota's End seems to ramp up to 32.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

That won't happen anytime soon, sadly.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pyrodactyl

@ll_exile_ll said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@humanity said:

32 apparently. Just as level 26 VoG had you up against level 28 guys by the end, level 30 Crota's End seems to ramp up to 32.

Well, balls. At least it's going to be a challenge instead of the joke that VoG normal mode had become. The fact that the rise between normal and hard mode is going to be 1, inaccessible level is kinda ridiculous though.

I'm ready to get my teeth bashed in. At lvl 30 this is going to hurt. A lot.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@zevvion said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but where do you get the willpower?

I'm not sure it is about willpower. At a certain point after you pre-purchase enough buggy, unfinished, or disappointing games based on hype and marketing you will probably (or hopefully) stop. I'm in the camp that believes that there is simply no logical reason to hand over my money for unproven products, especially when the people selling those games refuse to let reviewers discuss them until after they have gone on sale and preorders have been fulfilled. No thank you.

I haven't preordered a game or DLC in years, and as a result, stuff like this doesn't happen to me. I wait and see what my friends and other people I trust think about games before I buy them to minimize risk. I'm all about making informed purchases and tempering expectations.