Patch 1.18/2.0.2 broken (PS4)

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not being the biggest Destiny fan I was crestfallen this afternoon as I ran into some high quality back end bullshit while patching.

This "small download", according to bungie, appeared on PSN as an 18gig patch and proceeded to download nothing for half an hour. Doing some research people offered some workarounds that didn't do the trick for me. Now it's been running for 3 hours and hasn't moved an inch. I have fiber, this can't be on my end right?

When's the last time a broken patch bricked a game on consoles? Because it just happened to me, and at least a few others.

Only response from Bungie, through a mod, I could find: (Won't let me link on mobile)

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/174186759/0/0

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I deleted and restarted the patch, but it took forever to prepare the download so I just did something else. Checked back in after a while and everything was downloaded and installed. So the actual download is small, the system somehow just expects it to be big. But reading Bungie's forum, this is a real mess.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

That 18 GB is every patch the game has ever had. When it says "preparing to download," it's actually checking to see how much of that data is already on your machine. If you're already up to date beforehand, it's only downloading an extra however many hundred MB, not the full 18 GB. Only the last minute or so of the process is the newest patch actually downloading.

I have no idea why they do it that way, but that's why it works the way it does.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exact same thing happened to me last patch, I think I just gave up that day. When I tried again he next day I got a notification saying it couldn't download so I restarted the download and it worked fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-587b6acd5d124
deactivated-587b6acd5d124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to know. I just reinstalled while I was at work and it cleared up my issue. But MAN, what an ordeal for such a minor patch.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@drmantistabogganmd: For whatever reason, like Exile stated, they verify the status of your already existing patches in a pretty long in the tooth manner. The total size of Destiny's updates to date, including all of the DLC's is 18GB. Yesterday's patch was only like 112MB I think. But it took my machine about a half hour to download it. Like you I have a pretty solid connection at a stable 135mbps so it should never be on my end. It just takes PSN forever sometimes, and Destiny specifically does some weird verifications in the background before it will even download patches.