The problem with FPS RPG's (like Destiny)

• 57 results
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I agree. It runs into the Gran Turismo single player problem where you are either significantly better than your opponents and it isn't fun or you are significantly worse and it isn't fun.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

@bleshoo said:

Was the crab walker really that difficult for you guys? Even after taking out his legs and shooting his weak spot?

It's funny; as soon as I realized it was possible to shoot the legs to temporarily disable the crab-thing, one of my first thoughts was "shoot the weak spots for massive damage"

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By JasonR86
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Karkarov

@pyrodactyl said:

You guys are missing the point completely. The OP got into a mission that was one level above him, it was impossible, he leveled and it became a cakewalk. That doesn't sound fun at all.

Uh no. I have run that mission plenty of times. It is never a "cakewalk" in my experience. Well maybe once we get to beta or release and you can come back at like level 10+ with heinously op gear? I am level 8 in all green gear and the tank can one shot me if I don't dodge it's main turret. Sepik's energy blast will kill me if I take 3-4 clean hits from it, which he fires like 4-5 in a row once you get him lower on HP. This is also assuming all the fallen he is calling in to help him aren't shooting at me too.

Trust me, with a full level 8 fire team who are all well geared and know what to do.... it still isn't what I would call easy at the base "brave" challenge level. I haven't even considered going at the "legend" setting where everything is even more buff. That said with a leveled fire team in good gear who know what they are doing... It can be cleared in 30-40 minutes.

Destiny is like most older MMO's, if it is anything other than a rank and file dude and it out levels you.... you aren't supposed to fight it. Even if it is just rank and file... if it has 3-4 levels or more on you it will be hard. More than 5 and you basically will either need 10 minutes to kill it, or you just won't be able to at all.

Just for the record I have also found very remote spots while exploring Old Russia where the mobs are literally so powerful I either do 1 damage a shot or 0. When your gun that normally hits for 50-60 starts doing 1 damage you know you aren't supposed to be there.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, if you go into something that tells you that you are under leveled, how is that messing with balance? Surely the balance would be meeting the requirements? Hell I finished it with my fireteam on the hard difficulty in 20 minutes.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Balance is an even bigger key to an MMORPG and an even finer line to walk than in an FPS, where as the op point out, is much more consistent. People of varying levels and skill sets will be grouping together so an RPG needs to have zones and content that can cater to these variables.

That said, a lot if the adaptability is left to the players judgment. Providing the game does not restrict zones/quest to tightly (see WoW) the player should have the ability to choose their own difficulty.

I can imagine that new player groups in an alpha build will not always know where these difficulty lines are and how to best zone/quest to match the difficulty they desire. That will come with experience as will rebalancing from Bungie.

When it comes to reviewing player trends and rebalancing, there are few developers that can match Bungie. Knowing this is a decade long deal with Activision, you can expect Bungie will be deeply involved in the game post release.