What is your multiplayer primary weapon of choice?

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

I find that I'm pretty good at the game, but it helps that my Shingen-E is just devastating. At this point I can't imagine using anything else, but I'm curious to hear what other people are doing. As it says in the gun description, "The exemplary Shingen-E is built to pop skulls."

Edit: I guess a more open question would be what are your weapon(s) of choice?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Grim Citizen III is the main that I trade off between my three characters. Best AR I've used thus far.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Y2Ken

Talking Primaries specifically, I definitely find Auto Rifles are still the best option although I've had more luck with Hand Cannons since the last patch. So I've been using The Devil You Know (Vanguard HC) of late but I'm also flipping between Shadow Price and Grim Citizen III (Vanguard/Crucible ARs) trying to decide which I prefer. I did enjoy the Shingen-E I was using previously though.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done really well with the Invisible Hand M7, which is a legendary shotgun.

However, I just got the Proxima Centauri II scout rifle, and I can't wait to try that. I bet it will be even better.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodapop7

Vision on Confluence for me. Most of the maps it's easy to stay back a bit and most people aren't good enough with ARs to prevent me from getting a few headshots first. Really enjoying the scout rifles now.

Funkupotamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Devil You Know works quite well for me, but I primarily snipe in crucible. Shadow Price is also pretty good.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Zevvion

Vision of Confluence ever since the patch. I've been doing really well with it. It's actually since then that I started thinking Blade Dancers might be the weakest class because I can kill them on my own now before they get to me.

I also like Invective, but any shotgun could do the trick really.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have yet to get have a decent match with any primary other than the ARs. To be fair I don;t have a good scout rifle or pulse rifle, but I do have a pretty solid hand cannon (the lord high fixer) but I've never run it for more than a few lives in pvp, it just doesn't feel good enough. So as of right now I'm using the Shadow Price. Before that I was using a Galahad-E for ages. I dound plenty of guns that were statistically better or whatevef, but I never found one that felt better. The Shadow Price feels similar but does more damage so I doubt I'll go back.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sodapop7 said:

Vision on Confluence for me.

@zevvion said:

Vision of Confluence ever since the patch. I've been doing really well with it.

This gun really benefits from that recent patch. Great in PvE, Great in PvP. Perhaps my favorite weapon in the game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7 said:

Vision on Confluence for me.

@zevvion said:

Vision of Confluence ever since the patch. I've been doing really well with it.

This gun really benefits from that recent patch. Great in PvE, Great in PvP. Perhaps my favorite weapon in the game.

I still really like Thorn for PvE. Hand Cannons are the best in PvE. They one shot everything. Reason I like Thorn is because it looks awesome and it took me a long time to obtain. Vision of Confluence still requires two-three shots where Hand Cannons only require one.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I WISH I could use The Devil You Know, it's absolutely devastating in PvE, but I just use a blue Shingen-E whenever I wander into the Crucible for no apparent reason. I have Unwilling Soul but that gun is so damn inaccurate and has so little impact it's only useful when I'm chasing a 50 Assists bounty.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Doesn't require two to three shots for me. Unless you mean body shots. Clip size make hand cannons not as comfortable for me. Also the Thorn bounty was such a pain I'm not using it to punish it I think.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodapop7 said:

@zevvion: Doesn't require two to three shots for me. Unless you mean body shots. Clip size make hand cannons not as comfortable for me. Also the Thorn bounty was such a pain I'm not using it to punish it I think.

I will maintain that Thorn is a terrible weapon for PvE. If you like hand cannons I hope you get a Hawkmoon. It has 13 shots in the mag, fast reload speed and better damage. Even legendary hand cannons you can buy at the tower are way more practical than Thorn in a PvE context. Don't get me started on that legendary raid Hand Cannon I got last week. Arc damage, 12 shots, fast reload speed, possible increase in magazine capacity, killing enemies with precision damage makes the reload almost instant for a bit and makes their corps explode.

I really hope that buff on Thorn is good because for now it's basically the worst PvE weapon, legendary or better, in the game.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

my current fav is a legendary pulse rifle called "fair and square". works like a br from halo except has a perk that makes it hit hard enough to foul an opponent's aim and has another perk of leaving radar up during ADS.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Any auto rifle with a high rate of fire and good stability will wreck anything - which is what I always go with. Currently started grinding for that New Monarchy AR.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

My mainstay is Shadow Price, which just wrecks in crucible both before and after the patch, though obviously it's a little tougher to use post patch. Before patch I had a blue shotgun that benefited from having two stacking range increase perks that made it stupidly OP, being able to one shot from much further than should have been possible, but after the patch it became useless. Now I use Found Verdict, the raid shotgun.

I also recently picked up the Vex Mythoclast, and despite the nerf I've still found it quite effective in crucible after being upgraded for stability and range. Anyone saying they nerfed it too much for PvP, observe what it is still capable of:

Look how great my team was...
Look how great my team was...

calbags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just unlocked the DoT on Thorn... awesome-sauce

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i miss shotguns there just fun way to play and now i would better off throwing rocks at my enemies i would have more range sad times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@the_ruckus said:

i miss shotguns there just fun way to play and now i would better off throwing rocks at my enemies i would have more range sad times.

I am still getting a lot of kills with shotguns. I have a quick weapon swap ability so when a person charges me to try to get a melee kill I quickly drop my sweet hand canon w/ the explosive rounds and just blast them point blank in the face. I've been the bane of many a blade dancer.

My favorite though is my Heavy Machine Gun that has crazy range and can drop people in 3 to 4 shots.

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By THE_RUCKUS

@bartok: might try quick switch shotgun thanks for idea may of saved pvp for me been using suros regime as my main switch nerf

chizzelmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chizzelmonkey

Last night I unlocked the damage over time effect for the Thorn hand cannon. And it is great for Crucible matches. Basically, you can shoot the opponent to about 1/3 health then let the DOT effect take over. Shooting Thorn makes me feel like I am cheating, but then there are soooo many one hit kills already.....

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: You are going to love hearing this: I am currently using Thorn in PvP and am doing spectacularly well with it. Considering my usual performance that is. The damage over time effect is amazing and it does a ton of headshot damage. Two headshots and it's over. Outstanding weapon. I am curious to see what buff it is going to get. No doubt it'll make it overpowered.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@pyrodactyl: You are going to love hearing this: I am currently using Thorn in PvP and am doing spectacularly well with it. Considering my usual performance that is. The damage over time effect is amazing and it does a ton of headshot damage. Two headshots and it's over. Outstanding weapon. I am curious to see what buff it is going to get. No doubt it'll make it overpowered.

Never said it was bad in PvP. I actually hear it's quite good in there (I wouldn't know, I don't like hand cannons in PvP).

I maintain it's horrible in PvE though. Just try it out in VoG hard mode. You'll need 2 or 3 shots to down a single goblin. Nevermind trying to use it against a minautor or any other actually hard enemy. In my mind, if you're spending your exotic slot on a particular weapon, that weapon should be able to hold its own against the competition. Thorn does not, at all. Hawkmoon is way better, Fate Bringer is way better. Even goddamn handcannons you can buy at the tower are better in a PvE context. They can kill a bunch more enemies faster than Thorn without having to reload. The DoT might be good in multiplayer but it's useless in PvE.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: I actually am using it in the Vault. Have you upgraded yours? Because mine kills stuff faster than Atheon's Epilogue does. Though that's probably because half the shots you fire with that weapon will most likely miss. I really don't like that gun.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@pyrodactyl: I actually am using it in the Vault. Have you upgraded yours? Because mine kills stuff faster than Atheon's Epilogue does. Though that's probably because half the shots you fire with that weapon will most likely miss. I really don't like that gun.

It has a great stability upgrade and cuts through minotaur shields like knife through butter making it a must have for any team going through VoG hard mode. Look, primary exotics already have the handicap of not being able to deal with shields properly when compared to raid primaries.

My point is, take the hardest part of Destiny in PvE. Something hard like your first run through VoG with a bunch of other people who haven't done it before or maybe something impossibly fucked like doing VoG hard mode with everyone at lvl 29. Then compare a fully upgraded Thorn against just about any other legendary weapon in the game. In those circumstances, liking a weapon isn't enough. It has to be able to get the job done too. Thorn can't get the job done.

Oh, it can handle a strike or VoG normal mode if you're lvl 27-28 or more but I bet I could do that fine with a goddamn blue weapon at this point.

If you like using it that's cool. I bet you'll like it even more when they buff it. It's just that when you have to struggle for hours getting through a single section you don't want Thorn dragging you down every step of the way.