Worth a go even for single player?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

Hey guys,

I've never been a Diablo guy, actually I've never played one at all. I did enjoy the demo, but I realize that grouping up with friends is part of the fun of this style of game.

Anyway, if someone was to play it through on their own (none of my friends own the game) would it still be an enjoyable experience? I wasn't sure if there were any difficulty spikes that make it near impossible without assistance.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

It really depends on if you enjoy finding loot and upgrading your character or not. The value in Diablo 3 comes from replaying the game multiple times, working your way up to the hardest difficulty and then increasing monster power in order to increase the quality and frequency of loot drops. I've played a ton of Diablo 3 and only maybe 10% of that was with friends.

As far as difficulty goes, if you reach a boss or area that is too difficult and you keep dying over and over, the solution is to farm for better gear until you can get through it. If you relied on friends to get you through areas or bosses that were too difficult, you would soon find yourself dying over and over anyway when playing alone and would have to backtrack.

If you aren't a loot collector type and won't be playing with anyone else, skip the game. The story is forgettable and isn't the main draw of the game.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

I played it solo, and while there were a few tricky spots, it was definitely doable. The first few difficulties are, at least. I only got partway through Hell difficulty (the third playthrough, after Normal and Nightmare), so I can't say whether or not Inferno is feasible solo.

Overall, I had a pretty good time with the game.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Canteu

Just play POE instead. It's free, and it's infinitely better.

edit: Oh that's right this is a console game now. lulz

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FourWude

I've only just purchased a copy. And although I intend to solo for the first 2 difficulty levels, I wanna group on Hell and Inferno.

So if you're genuinely interested and are a nice person then send me a PM and we'll exchange gamertags.

I'm on the Xbox 360 btw.

And yes this is a genuine post from a genuine gamer.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourwude: I appreciate the offer. Unfortunately, I only own a PS3. Keep me posted though on what you think of the game. I'd definitely be interested in hearing how the first two difficulty levels are.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FourWude

@mightyduck: OK. Give me about a month. I'm also busy being Trevor in GTA V. And that mad bastard takes up a fair bit of my time.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fuck yeah man. I played through about 4 times solo. I am not a huge dungeon crawler guy, or atleast I wasn't until diablo, but I really enjoyed the game play loop of diablo. All of the complaints about inconsistent loot drops are valid, but dont really make an impact until you reach the later two difficulties.

Is the solo play the only thing stopping you from buying, or do you have other questions that are stopping you from diving in?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, I hear ya. Just finished up the main story in GTAV last week.

@ssully said:

Fuck yeah man. I played through about 4 times solo. I am not a huge dungeon crawler guy, or atleast I wasn't until diablo, but I really enjoyed the game play loop of diablo. All of the complaints about inconsistent loot drops are valid, but dont really make an impact until you reach the later two difficulties.

Is the solo play the only thing stopping you from buying, or do you have other questions that are stopping you from diving in?

Do you have any recommendations as far as classes go for someone who is knew to the series/genre? I tried Barbarian in the demo, but wasn't sure if that would end up getting a little monotonous for the whole game. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd say so, especially if you play on Hardcore. That's the most fun to me, because the consequences and patience are at the utmost necessary. Plus, playing with other people would only screw up what I was working on.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just curious, what do you plan on playing it on? If you plan on going on consoles, you can do local co-op if you have a sibling or friend to play with, which can be quite fun and not a detractor. From what I hear, the console versions are much easier when it comes to getting better loot as well. I honestly haven't played the game by myself, but it seems to be fine, at least on consoles. I've seen my brother play it. It unfortunately has a story that's not very interesting, though I'm glad it at least attempts it even if it isn't the goal, and is thin. If they had made a more interesting story and better characters, that would have been awesome. I have yet to beat it and explore all of the settings though. I just never got back to it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ssully said:

Do you have any recommendations as far as classes go for someone who is knew to the series/genre? I tried Barbarian in the demo, but wasn't sure if that would end up getting a little monotonous for the whole game. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have played both demon hunter and monk solo and they were great fun. I dont think any one class is geared towards new players more then the others. The skills in the game are interchangeable at any point in the game, so you can theoretically change your play style whenever you want. This also helps with the monotony that I tend to run into with games like this(such at torchlight). In torchlight I always hit a point in the late game where I wish I could change skill points or built my character a different way. I never hit this point in diablo because you can change skill/runes whenever you want.

The game also forces you to start at normal and unlock the new difficulties as you go, so it shouldn't really get hard until your later play through's.

With all of that said I would be the most weary of the Witch Doctor. Other people can chime in here, but all my friends who played the Witch Doctor didn't enjoy the way the powers scaled. They constantly felt like the runt when compared to other people.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I'd be playing it on the PS3. I've heard similar things regarding what you mentioned about the loot, so that would be good in my opinion.

@ssully said:

@mightyduck said:

@ssully said:

I have played both demon hunter and monk solo and they were great fun. I dont think any one class is geared towards new players more then the others. The skills in the game are interchangeable at any point in the game, so you can theoretically change your play style whenever you want. This also helps with the monotony that I tend to run into with games like this(such at torchlight). In torchlight I always hit a point in the late game where I wish I could change skill points or built my character a different way. I never hit this point in diablo because you can change skill/runes whenever you want.

The game also forces you to start at normal and unlock the new difficulties as you go, so it shouldn't really get hard until your later play through's.

With all of that said I would be the most weary of the Witch Doctor. Other people can chime in here, but all my friends who played the Witch Doctor didn't enjoy the way the powers scaled. They constantly felt like the runt when compared to other people.

I checked up on the Monk and that does sound like it would be a good time. Thanks again for the info regarding the character building. Much appreciated!

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I solo'd it with a Barbarian on every difficulty and used other classes when playing with friends.
Had a lot of fun with it but you do hit a brick wall (or at least I did) until you find the right gear or something valuable enough to buy gear to get ya through it.
I still jump on here and there and solo for a little loot fix.
Will probably check out the expansion too.