Differences between last and current gen

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

I really want to finally jump into Diablo 3, but I kind of was thinking about the 360 version. The X1 and PS4 versions are 1080p 60 frames but to be honest I don't give a shit about that. 30 fps is fine. I'm just wondering if anyone who has the game now can tell me about any major differences between the versions, notably things like slowdown, stuttering, how big is the graphics leap, etc.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mob Denisty is much lower in the 360 and PS3 versions and i thing the PS4 and Xbone are nearly identicle to pc mob density. That is the one thing that is stopping me from getting the ps3 version.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebunnyhunter: How do they get around that? Is the game simply easier on PS3/360? Or are the enemies more difficult since there are less of them?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi
@thebunnyhunter said:

Mob Denisty is much lower in the 360 and PS3 versions and i thing the PS4 and Xbone are nearly identicle to pc mob density. That is the one thing that is stopping me from getting the ps3 version.

This and the 360 and PS3 version is equivalent to the PC on Medium-High while PS4 and Xbox One are on Ultra.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't speak for the X1/PS4 versions but as an owner of the PC and 360 versions I can say that the mob density is fine. There is little, if any, slow down on the 360. That being said, If you absolutely have no way to play the PC version, I still cannot recommend the 360 version for several reasons.

For starters, both the 360/PS3 versions are extremely outdated compared to the PC version and will not be getting any updates. Secondly, if you intend on playing public games on Xbox Live, you are 99% likely to encounter an uncontained infestation of people with modded gear and characters. Managing inventory can be extremely frustrating as well with the console interface.

The current gen console versions of the game will get a day 1 patch to version 2.0.6 to match the PC. A major game changing 2.1 patch for the PC will be hitting later this month and Blizz has confirmed they will update the X1/PS4 versions to 2.1 as well but will not support Seasons/Ladders that the PC version is getting with 2.1.

So, the PC version is still the best the way to go. If you have to get a console version then stick with the current gen versions which will get at least some level of support.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rotnac: I don't know if my laptop will be able to handle it. It's a Lenovo Yoga - i5 3317U @ 1.70GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000.

So would you recommend me just waiting to play the X1 version when I get that? The updating thing sounds a little worrying to me. I wonder how long they will be updating the X1 version, too...

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By dagas

@xyzygy said:

@rotnac: I don't know if my laptop will be able to handle it. It's a Lenovo Yoga - i5 3317U @ 1.70GHz, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD 4000.

So would you recommend me just waiting to play the X1 version when I get that? The updating thing sounds a little worrying to me. I wonder how long they will be updating the X1 version, too...

You should be able to play but barely. It is the video card I am concerned about. Built in Intel graphics are not very good even if HD4000 is much better than what they used to be. There is a video of a guy running the game here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zc-pQQI2oI and he says he get's 20-30FPS.

• OS: Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
  • Processor: Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz or AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4400+
  • Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon X1950 Pro or better
  • HD Space: 12 GB available HD space
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista® and Windows® 7 users)
  • Drive: DVD-ROM drive
  • Internet: Broadband Internet connection. Be advised that some wireless connections do not meet the minimums required to be a true Broadband Internet connection. Wireless results may vary.
  • Display: 1024x768 minimum display resolution

360/PS3 as well as not getting patch support and not having as many enemies on screen is more zoomed in since the resolution is 720p instead of 1080p, also I've heard that the nephelem rifts added in the expansion that are random are not so random on PS3/360. They still exist, you just won't see as much variaty.

Despite all of this it is still a good version if you cannot play on PC. I bought D3 when it came out on PS3 a year ago and had a lot of fun. I decided to get it on PC now because the limitations on PS3/360 but if you have a PC that will barely play the game then there is not much point in getting the PC version.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not be surprised if the old-gen versions are 720p (or even somewhat less).

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Rotnac

@xyzygy: I can't say for sure if your computer will be able to run it or not. Blizzard's games have never really been demanding on requiring the best system specs like a Crytek game. Your best option would be to download the Battle.net launcher and download the Diablo III Starter Edition for free and see how it runs. If it can't run it even at it's lowest settings then yeah, I suppose you could go with the X1 version.

Blizz not stating anything about if they'll have extended patch/hotfix support beyond their 2.1 update on consoles is definitely a big issue. Given the lack of extended support they've made for the 360/PS3 I wouldn't hold my breath since hotfixes, patches, and content updates (like new gear drops from Seasons) will always be prioritised for the PC/Mac.