#1 Edited by Aegon (5770 posts) -

Here's a scan showcasing some new Digimon game. I'm wondering, how in the world could a character in the Digimon universe look like the girl on the right? I don't remember ever seeing someone on the show that scantily clad back when I was a kid (season 3 da best). This is supposed to be a show / game for kids, no? Or perhaps Digimon is trying to create a different image for itself now? Also, the main character on the bottom right looks almost identical to the Devil Survivor protagonist.

DS protagonist on the right:

Digimon scan:

Online
#2 Edited by Nightriff (5257 posts) -

Digimon is still around? That is kinda surprising to me

#3 Edited by DonChipotle (2811 posts) -

Hey man, kids grow up. And when they do, characters like Sora, Rika and Akari just won't cut it for eye candy anymore.

#4 Edited by Hector (3375 posts) -

Namco Bandai hired Suzuhito Yasuda to do the art for the game, he is the same guy who worked on Devil Survivor.

#5 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

i think that digimon has generally gotten progressively more edgy to try and stay relevant, but then again, i haven't been interested in digimon for like 10 years

#6 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Dude, there is so much anime on that picture that I don't know what to do.

#7 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

Yowza. This is weird.

#8 Posted by Aegon (5770 posts) -

@hector said:

Namco Bandai hired Suzuhito Yasuda to do the art for the game, he is the same guy who worked on Devil Survivor.

Ah, that's why. The art itself looks amazing like his work on DS. I like the style..but this is just a strange choice for a kid's game.

Online
#9 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

The answer to every question as to why an underaged anime girl is flashing a bunch of skin and cleavage is "because anime."

#10 Posted by DonChipotle (2811 posts) -

I'm just glad there's a new Digimon game.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25203 posts) -

The answer to every question as to why an underaged anime girl is flashing a bunch of skin and cleavage is "because anime."

How do you know she's underage? I don't see any indication in that scan of how old she is.

#12 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -
#13 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@morbid_coffee said:

The answer to every question as to why an underaged anime girl is flashing a bunch of skin and cleavage is "because anime."

How do you know she's underage? I don't see any indication in that scan of how old she is.

So that's how you roll, eh? I see... I see...

#14 Edited by Hailinel (25203 posts) -
#15 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

shes still got a smaller rack than devil survivors yuzu

plus have you seen other anime/toys/games lately ? this girls clothes are way more modest

but the reality is all they have to do is create a few pictures for a character like this and they get massive publicity , and years and years of "fandom"

#16 Posted by 49th (2821 posts) -

Wow, Digimon still exists.

#17 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

oh and "digimon navigater" classic

#18 Edited by Aegon (5770 posts) -

@envane said:

shes still got a smaller rack than devil survivors yuzu

plus have you seen other anime/toys/games lately ? this girls clothes are way more modest

but the reality is all they have to do is create a few pictures for a character like this and they get massive publicity , and years and years of "fandom"

Has the kid's game and anime market in Japan changed? Just like I said in the original post, there weren't any characters dressed like that when I watched Digimon as a kid. The closest I can think of is like Misty from Pokemon or Mai from Yugio, but this girl has cleavage, side boobs, bare midriff, EXTREMELY tight and short shorts, which are also riding pretty low (v lines?). Also she's constantly sticking her chest out further than the rest of her body.

Online
#19 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@aegon: well yeah it has changed dramaticly , but still the signs were there , tell me misty or jesse didnt make you think something somewhere along the line , or did americans also ban the swimsuit episode of pokemon.

but yeah .. this kind of fanserivce is pretty much as innocent as it gets , its not as if its an entire franchise built to showcase underage girl panty-shots and cameltoes .. in the guise of ww2 era dogfighting.

#20 Edited by Danteveli (1210 posts) -

Since 90% of current anime is just fanservice its strange that it took them so long to put boobs in digimon.

#21 Edited by BisonHero (6825 posts) -

Yeah, the similarity of those two dude characters coming from the same creator makes sense. Akira Toriyama, Matt Groening, etc.

Though I wish artists/animators wouldn't pigeonhole themselves into such ridiculously similar character designs. But whatever, branding or something.

#22 Posted by Petiew (1355 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

i think that digimon has generally gotten progressively more edgy to try and stay relevant, but then again, i haven't been interested in digimon for like 10 years

Funny you think that as I'd say Tamers, back in 2001, was the edgiest the franchise ever got.

#23 Edited by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I played Digimon World: Dawn on the DS, and I freaking loved it. Point worth mentioning, I've never played a pokemon game, so this was where I got that monster-collectin' fix.

But yeah, Digimon is still around. I saw series 5 back in 2007 when they did grow up a bit, the art style got older and the main guy's power was to digivolve his partner by PUNCHING OTHER DIGIMON IN THE FACE. It was pretty great.

I kept an eye on series 6/7, watched a couple episodes but they looked pretty bad. Apparently they're doing kinda well? I dunno, I like to keep abreast of how shows I watched as a kid are doing. Beyblade's still around, HOW CRAZY IS THAT?

That specific fanservice looks dumb but I'm fairly sure Digimon's done fanservice like that in the past, just probably not as the "regular" outfit. But maybe they just decided, fuck it, no point hiding it.

#24 Edited by Demoskinos (15113 posts) -

The only thing shocking here is that Digimon is still a thing.

#25 Edited by Aegon (5770 posts) -

@petiew said:

@stonepawfox said:

i think that digimon has generally gotten progressively more edgy to try and stay relevant, but then again, i haven't been interested in digimon for like 10 years

Funny you think that as I'd say Tamers, back in 2001, was the edgiest the franchise ever got.

It was dark and from what I can remember, it had some nice emotionally impactful moments, which is why it's my fave season (and the last one I watched). He's probably talking about a different kind of "edgy". The kind with less clothes, not more mature subjects.

Online
#26 Posted by golguin (4014 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@morbid_coffee said:

The answer to every question as to why an underaged anime girl is flashing a bunch of skin and cleavage is "because anime."

How do you know she's underage? I don't see any indication in that scan of how old she is.

Concerning the underage appearance of anime girls I would guess that it's more a case of the art style. There are some shows where the parents look about the same age as their high school kids.

I would also like to point out that Asian chicks generally look pretty young. The ones I know range from 20-30 years old and they all look like they should still be in high school. It's kinda their thing to look like that.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@aegon said:

@hector said:

Namco Bandai hired Suzuhito Yasuda to do the art for the game, he is the same guy who worked on Devil Survivor.

Ah, that's why. The art itself looks amazing like his work on DS. I like the style..but this is just a strange choice for a kid's game.

his style is terrible. He was the one who drew Io Nitta, aka 'my boobs float up also I am supposed to be a serious character'.

#28 Posted by Aegon (5770 posts) -

@animasta said:

@aegon said:

@hector said:

Namco Bandai hired Suzuhito Yasuda to do the art for the game, he is the same guy who worked on Devil Survivor.

Ah, that's why. The art itself looks amazing like his work on DS. I like the style..but this is just a strange choice for a kid's game.

his style is terrible. He was the one who drew Io Nitta, aka 'my boobs float up also I am supposed to be a serious character'.

I didn't play DS 2 so I haven't had too much exposure to anti-grav boobs. I like the way he draws faces and the little details in his work. I dunno, there's just something about it.

Online
#29 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2572 posts) -

She looks like a female version of N from Pokemon.

#30 Posted by AngelN7 (2972 posts) -

Dude yes Digimon Season 3 is the best!... and yeah the Devil Survivor guy sure does like to draw really perky boobs.

#31 Edited by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Is anything beyond Digimon Tamers worth watching?

#32 Posted by PersonaUser (14 posts) -

I use to watch digimon. I have forgotten entirely what it was about.

#33 Posted by The_Ruiner (1123 posts) -

They'll cover her up if they bring it over to USA

#34 Edited by Flappy (2332 posts) -

Man, I really can't get over how similar some of the characters look. The character style can be really nice at times, but too much of it can be a bit exhausting. Akira Toriyama syndrome, perhaps?