Good for adult gamers?

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I'm a huge comic book nerd, and I love games like Ultimate Alliance, and think the Lego games are just alright. I can tell myself to buy this so when I watch my nieces of nephews we have something to play together. At the core of it though, is this a good purchase for adult roommates who like local co-op games? I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure I don't get too bored with it quickly.

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's definitely a kids game. That's not to say that adults can't have fun with it, of course. I'm an adult. I had loads of fun with the first one and can't wait to dive into 2.0. You just need to be the kind of person that can get into a kids game.

Combat is fun, but it's simple. The toy box is probably where you'll get all of you replay value. If you like futzing around in games like Garry's Mod, you and your friends will have a lot of fun building worlds and games in the toy box for sure. 2.0 is adding a Diablo-style game type you can play around with, so it will feel a lot like MUA.

If you're on the edge about it, maybe grab the 1.0 starter kit. They've been on sale all over the place so it's less of an investment to try it out. All of the 1.0 characters will work in 2.0. I would just glance at some of the 2.0 features, if you go that route, so you know what's going to be different between them.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit when they announced that you can get all the Incredibles stuff for free. As a person who this game is probably not intended for, the game is kinda fun, but you can really feel all the anti-frustration features they implemented for the kids which makes the game a bit boring. Also, it may have been just me, but the controls were not that responsive.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

@cleric22: I haven't played Infinity but I just wanted to add that both Lego Marvel and Lego Batman 2 have tons of awesome and amusing fan service bits.

That is if you haven't already played them and can get into the Lego game formula.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is still an awesome game too.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Why wouldn't it be?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@cleric22 said:

So I'm a huge comic book nerd, and I love games like Ultimate Alliance, and think the Lego games are just alright. I can tell myself to buy this so when I watch my nieces of nephews we have something to play together. At the core of it though, is this a good purchase for adult roommates who like local co-op games? I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure I don't get too bored with it quickly.

I recommend you pick up Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet instead if you haven't already. It is the same mindless cooperative fun but with more characters and a goofy Marvel story that comic nerds will enjoy to laugh at together. Bump up the difficulty from the beginning if you don't want it to be too easy. It was actually one of my favorite games of the last generation.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By crithon

well, the new Marvel game is suppose to have new almost like Tower Defence and Survival wave based game mechanics. Also Ninja Theory was brought in to help them with their combat mechanics along with a series of powers and level up mechanics. Because the original Disney Infinity was more about collecting items to build a playset for your own imagination, so it wasn't as dungeon crawling level grinding as Skylanders was.

On a side note, I've been LOVING Johnny V's Disney Infinity youtube videos. The man is a national treasure!

Loading Video...

scarycrayons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just hoping that the playsets have more effort and budget put into them, and the toybox mode is as enhanced as much as they claim.

I liked the first Disney Infinity but it was definitely not as powerful as it claimed to be. Some of the playsets (specifically the Toy Story in Space one) were absolute trainwrecks, with awful voice acting, an incredibly generic setting with not much to do, and just not being fun to play. That, and they treated the franchise as if they were actually in space and could teleport around, completely missing the whole point that they're supposed to be toys. The toybox mode was incredibly limited where it was just arranging prefab blocks as best you can, so all the levels kind of ended up looking the same, and it crashed often (at least, it did on the Wii U version).

I'm excited for 2.0, but it's mainly in hope that they've had time to develop the game and not rush everything this time around. Being able to make interiors in the toybox mode as well as using game pieces (like tower defence and dungeons) sounds great! I just hope it's not as overpromising as the first one was. "Anything you imagine, you can create! ...as long as it's made out of these cliff blocks and a swinging hammer and a firework shooter."

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@professoress: I really liked Lego Batman 2, but was kind of over the Lego formula by the end of it. I just wish we could get back to a middle ground between lego and the dark gritty single playerness of Arkham.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

@cleric22: This is completely unrelated so I hope you'll forgive the off-topic reply. But your avatar is the same image I use on my phone as a wallpaper. :)

Green Lantern Corp!!!

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jhajha

@cleric22 said:

Hi try this game sir. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jhajha

The Witcher's 2

Blade and Soul

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT
peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@crithon said:

well, the new Marvel game is suppose to have new almost like Tower Defence and Survival wave based game mechanics. Also Ninja Theory was brought in to help them with their combat mechanics along with a series of powers and level up mechanics. Because the original Disney Infinity was more about collecting items to build a playset for your own imagination, so it wasn't as dungeon crawling level grinding as Skylanders was.

On a side note, I've been LOVING Johnny V's Disney Infinity youtube videos. The man is a national treasure!

Loading Video...

You just opened up a whole new, beautiful part of the internet to me!

fumaofthelake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played it some with my daughter, I think you have to be at least somewhat interested in the whole package... Unlocking and playing around with items in the Toy Box, the story missions, the vaguely Animal Crossing-like house decoration section, and the collection of the physical items (figures, Playsets, and power discs).

The cost also adds up quickly... If you wanted to get the Avengers starter kit, one other set (a mission set with two figures), and say 3 power pack blind bags, you're looking at around $125 for ~40 missions and 5 figures and whatever 6 discs you get from the blind bags.

Every aspect of the game is pretty good, but again I have to say I think it's only worth the money/time if you're interested in every aspect to some degree. If someone is reading this now and wants to get in, a good place to start is buying 1.0 figures below MSRP from eBay and waiting for a 3 for $33 special on figures in stores.

One other interesting element is that while the Playsets (mission sets) from 1.0 aren't playable in 2.0, they do unlock a ton of stuff for the Toybox. I bought the 1.0 starter Playset from eBay for like $6 and it'll unlock a ton of stuff once I get it.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crithon

@peritus: I'm glad I can provide this gateway for you.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Seconded on pretty much everything you said; it works best if you're interested in both the play sets and the construct-a-world nature of the toybox. I got a bundle set from Amazon with the main avengers playset, the Spider-man set, three other characters, and one of the blind packs. I'm finding the Avengers set fun, if a bit repetitive. Two of the three characters in the set can fly, which can be a lot of fun to do, even when not directly on a mission. The spider-man set I'm not having so much fun with, and so far I can attribute that to Spidey having the web swing mechanic. I think they did a decent job of it, no question, but when the 2nd character in that set is Nova, who can fly....be prepared to not play nova if you're doing co-op with a kid unless Spidey is their favorite character.

As far as non-playset characters, I have picked up Captain America, Hawkeye, Venom, and Rocket Raccoon. Of the four, I could only recommend Cap at the moment; Hawkeye doesn't have the various different type of arrows I was hoping for, Venom is mostly a stronger (and slower) Spider-man, and Rocket is mostly just a small character with outsized guns. The bounce/ricochet effect on his shield is fully animated, so when you throw it, the shield is visible the entire time, and you can watch it arc out and return if the space is open, or bounce off of items as it makes it's way back to you. Thor's hammer has a similar effect, except instead of bouncing, it just tends to go through things.

My daughter (twelve next month) wanted to add in that her favorite characters are Nova and Black Widow. She likes Nova mostly because he can fly and shoot at the same time, and they give him some funny dialog. She likes Black Widow because she's the only girl on the team (also the only playable female Avenger, despite having both Wasp, and Captain Marvel show up in the playset as secondary characters), she can turn invisible, and can shock a bunch of people with her stingers. For the rest of it, her favorite part of the toybox so far is the inside part; she likes making theme rooms for the different characters.

Having played it some with my daughter, I think you have to be at least somewhat interested in the whole package... Unlocking and playing around with items in the Toy Box, the story missions, the vaguely Animal Crossing-like house decoration section, and the collection of the physical items (figures, Playsets, and power discs).

The cost also adds up quickly... If you wanted to get the Avengers starter kit, one other set (a mission set with two figures), and say 3 power pack blind bags, you're looking at around $125 for ~40 missions and 5 figures and whatever 6 discs you get from the blind bags.

Every aspect of the game is pretty good, but again I have to say I think it's only worth the money/time if you're interested in every aspect to some degree. If someone is reading this now and wants to get in, a good place to start is buying 1.0 figures below MSRP from eBay and waiting for a 3 for $33 special on figures in stores.

One other interesting element is that while the Playsets (mission sets) from 1.0 aren't playable in 2.0, they do unlock a ton of stuff for the Toybox. I bought the 1.0 starter Playset from eBay for like $6 and it'll unlock a ton of stuff once I get it.

fumaofthelake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarahsdad: The 1.0 figures aren't terribly interesting for the most part due to some of the same mobility issues. Nova has been my favorite so far just because he's so zippy, and I also found Thor and Spider-Man to be pretty fun. It's tough to go back to a guy who can just run (every single character in 1.0) after being able to fly all over the place at a whim. I guess you can kind of mitigate it by spawning a vehicle in Toy Box though.

I am really liking the Builders you can get. They're little character guys you can drop in Toy Box who will just build stuff for you. It has one of the little kids from Peter Pan who will build this gigantic tree house type thing that you can walk inside, and a few others you can unlock.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

@fumaofthelake: That's my experience as well. We tried some of the 1.0 characters, and while there was some excitement at being able to spec out some of them with 20 or 30 points really quickly, we quickly went back to the newer characters. I'll have to maybe re-spec Spider-man; maybe I picked a bad build, and that's dragging it down. I will give a hearty thumbs up regarding Thor though; he's definitely my favorite so far.

I'm also liking the builders, especially the forest one; I don't mind building my own castle or tree-house, but I remember making an area with a lot of plants was kind of a chore from 1.0

Have you experimented with any of the 'make a game' sets? It looks like they grouped some of the more commonly used creative toys into sets with some pop-up tool-tip switches.

fumaofthelake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarahsdad: No, I haven't tried any of that stuff yet. I want to finish off the playsets, dungeon crawl, and tower defense before digging in too deep on that. Figure I want more gadgets and cosmetic stuff unlocked before building much.

Yesterday we got the 1.0 starter figures and playset I ordered off eBay. 3 figs and a ton of Toy Box stuff for $12. I'm thinking of buying a Wii U this year and apparently 1.0 is a free download on their store and you can use the PS4 base with it, so we may get to do those playsets yet.

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

I just picked this up last week and have been hooked every since. I am 33 and play it by myself so far. The story mode is simple, similar to a lego game. So its fun, but not real complicated. The difficulty can be set to hard and it actually makes it pretty difficult. So is it good for adults? I think some adults would look at it like its only a kids game because the mechanics aren't complex enough. I look at it as a fun game that doesn't take to much brain power. Its fun to collect, fly around as Iron Man, and beat up bad guys. The toy box mode is a whole different topic. That can be the most complex thing you ever played with, or the most simple. All depends on how you want to build. You want to make a tower defense game with leveling up and buying equipment? You can, its going to be complex. You want to build a fun interactive city? You can, and you could do it in 30 minutes.

If you every played the lego games and thought they were fun, then you would love this game. It has more to offer but keeps the same simple gameplay but makes it a fun open world to fly around in as your favorite marvel character.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

The Comicvine guys have been talking about it over the last couple of months, Tony G plays it with his daughter and seems to really enjoy it whilst Matt is probably more of a gamer and finds it kinda dull. I think they both love that it exists but it seems to be very button mashy with not a lot of challenge (save for the boss fights) and its really hard to die because they made it insultingly easy. Let me just say, when i was a kid i played the same hard ass NES games that everyone else played and i did just fine, kids do NOT need games to be artificially dumbed down for them because of some perceived inability to learn attack patterns or solve puzzles, thats what difficulty settings are for.

That said im totally buying up the Pirates of the Caribbean ones, Jack Skellington, Mallificent and some of the Marvel characters such as Venom, Ironman and Nick Fury. I love to collect the damn things, will be all over the Amiibo stuff too when it comes out.