Hello, everyone. Now that Divekick is finally being released a month from now (on August 20th), I'm posting this thread in order to organize a week 1, Giant Bomb community Divekick tournament. It'll take place from Friday, August 23rd to Sunday, August 25th and will
- Tournament will follow a double elimination format, meaning players will have to lose twice to be eliminated.
- Each match will consist of a winner taking 5 rounds. Each round will be 20 seconds each.
- Winner of a set is determined by best of 2 out of 3 matches.
- Losers finals and grand finals will be best of 3 out of 5 matches.
- Character switching is allowed only to the loser of a match in a set, with the winner having to stick with the same character. However, if the loser switches characters, the winner is allowed to switch gems.
- If a player's connection drops during a round, it is up to the opponent to decide if he agrees to do a rematch or not.
- It is suggested that everyone's input delay for online be set to 2.
How to sign up:
Reply in this thread saying you want to enter to give me an idea of how many people will be participating in the tournament and post your PSN ID.
This is to prevent people from saying they'll participate but not showing up and it also enables players to update the brackets themselves instead of having to do it all myself.
Tournament starts on Friday, August 23rd and ends on Sunday, August 25th. It's still tentative, however, and specific times for sets remain to be determined.
The Challonge sign-up page will be posted on Wednesday, August 21st.
|Round (Winners side)||Time (When rounds must end)||Round (Losers side)||Time (When rounds must end)|
|Round 1 (W)||10:00 PM EDT / 7:00 PM PDT (August 23)||Round 1 (L)||1:00 PM EDT / 10:00 AM PDT (August 24)|
|Round 2 (W)||12:00 PM EDT / 9:00 AM PDT (August 24)||Round 2 (L)||4:00 PM EDT / 1:00 PM PDT (August 24)|
|Round 3 (W)||3:00 PM EDT / 12:00 PM PDT (August 24)||Round 3 (L)||7:00 PM EDT / 4:00 PM PDT (August 24)|
|Round 4 (W)||6:00 PM EDT / 3:00 PM PDT (August 24)||Round 4 (L)||9:00 PM EDT / 6:00 PM PDT (August 24)|
|Round 5 (W)||12:00 PM EDT / 9:00 AM PDT (August 25)||Round 5 (L)||2:00 PM EDT / 11:00 AM PDT (August 25)|
|Round 6 (W)||2:00 PM EDT / 11:00 AM PDT (August 25)||Round 6 (L)||4:00 PM EDT / 1:00 PM PDT (August 25)|
|Semifinals (W)||6:00 PM EDT / 3:00 PM PDT (August 25)||Semifinals (L)||7:00 PM EDT / 4:00 PM PDT (August 25)|
|Finals||10:00 PM EDT / 7:00 PM PDT (August 25)||Finals||10:00 PM EDT / 7:00 PM PDT (August 25)|
Here's an IRC channel where people can meet up to play some matches:
- Got to http://webchat.quakenet.org
- The channel is: #GB_Divekick
I heavily suggest people go there when the tournament starts to organize matches.
- A custom portrait by Reisz featuring the character the winner used to take the tournament or another character of their choice doing something ridiculous. (Work sample)
- Custom art by aurahack featuring the character used to take the tournament winning. (Work sample)
- A Divekick hat by mccarron. (Divekick hat)
- Divekick Plushie by Iron Galaxy.
- Custom art by aurahack featuring the character the player used to take second place losing. (Work sample)
- A Divekick hat by mccarron. (Divekick hat)
Raffle (to all participating players)
- Alan Wake Bundle on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Fez on Steam (Brackynews)
- Hotline Miami on Steam via (Brackynews)
- Toy Soldiers on Steam via (BaconGames)
- Iron Brigade on Steam via (BaconGames) (only for top 8).
- Don't Starve on Steam (StarvingGamer)
- Penny arcade EP3 on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, and EDGE Bundle on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Waking Mars on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Cogs on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Swords & Soldiers HD on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Zen Bound 2 on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Avadon: The Black Fortress on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Splice on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Crayon Physics Deluxe on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Dear Esther on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Capsized on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Thomas Was Alone on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Little Inferno on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Awesomenauts on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- English Country Tune on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Intrusion 2 on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- Oil Rush on Steam (IrrelevantJohn)
- 10 codes for Crysis 1 on the PS3 (chrisphil1724)
- Mirror's Edge on Steam (StarvingGamer)
- Trine 2 on Steam (Demoskinos)
*New users being eligible to win the prizes depends on the individual contributors.
Divekick does not have lobbies or a spectator mode, but some entrants will be streaming their individual matches:
|Username||PSN ID||Username||PSN ID|
Some of the rules and dates are subject to change, but I doubt most of it will end up changing.
Last time I had a week 1 tournament with Persona 4 Arena, it was really fun and there was a total of 56 participants. A tournament so early after the game is released is neat because people are practically all newbies when it comes time to compete, so the skill level is pretty much the same between players. So don't be intimidated to join!