• 63 results
Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Who's going to be your main character? (237 votes)

Dive 7%
Dr. Shoals 11%
Jefailey 3%
Kenny 3%
Kick 19%
Kung Pao 3%
MarkMan 4%
Mr. N 8%
Redacted 6%
S-Kill 8%
Stream 2%
The Baz 3%
Uncle Sensei 3%
Show me the answers 20%

Now that we're only a month away from having Divekick on our consoles, who's play-style are you leaning towards? Have you played Divekick at a convention and liked one character in particular?

I like the look of high jumping traditional divekickers like Mr. N and Redacted. Out of those two I'm going to go for Mr. N. I do want to try and get good with Jefailey though, he looks hilarious to play as.

#1 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1054 posts) -

Either Zubaz or Kick. There's gonna be soo many Kicks lol.

#2 Posted by MocBucket62 (1181 posts) -

Little shocked no one voted Dr. Shoals. Thought she was the op character of the game. Oh well, I'll be a Jemaniac!

#3 Posted by thdemn (95 posts) -

For me, its "YO JEFAILEYYYYYYYYY" all the way

#4 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Kick all the way. #PartyStarter

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

In all honestly I'll probably start with Kenny just so I can get a better idea of which character feels right to me. That said, if I had to choose now, it's S-Kill all the way because fuck man, it's S-Kill.

#6 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2231 posts) -

DAT PURP

#7 Posted by Reisz (1479 posts) -

White Kenny all the way. Baller as hell.

#8 Posted by gravitypenguin (64 posts) -

Probably Shoals. I've had the most luck with her at NCR and EVO.

That said once I've got the real thing I'll be able to get a better handle on what fits my style.

#9 Edited by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

Shoals

#10 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

Either Stream, S-Kill or Kenny.

Leaning more towards S-Kill because his style is awesome.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10835 posts) -

I don't know! I might try to get into someone "tricky" like S-Kill, but I'll probably just play Kick because of his Will Smith quotes.

#12 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Kick is truly Divekick's Ken!

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

I have yet to play it but based on what I have seen Seth Killian because it's Seth Killian.

#14 Edited by CitizenCoffeeCake (484 posts) -

S-Kill looks more like Will Smith than Seth Killian to me. I will probably be going Jefaily at first.

#15 Posted by JessicaaGoldBurst (34 posts) -

The game seems to be all about match-ups, so I think I'm learning Kick and Dr. Shoals, that way I've got solid footsies and crazy shenanigans covered. S-Kill having a parry is really tempting for me, though.

#16 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I have yet to play it, but I'm very excited for it. I'll try a bit of everyone and probably play a lot of Kenny since in a lot of ways he's the "random select" option, and his little angel shot special actually seems really strong.

That and YOLO gem Jefailey.

#17 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Mr. N of course.

#18 Posted by Mezmero (1856 posts) -

Hell I don't know Chewbacca. I haven't even played this game yet so how would I know? I'm not a fighting game hipster. I just like fighting games. I typically don't main characters if I can avoid it.

#20 Edited by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

Kerahime posted up what he believes the current match-up chart to be. Even though he has only had a limited time with a game, he made an incredibly strong showing at Evo by making it to the Grand Finals in the winner's bracket, completely dismantling Adelheid Stark's otherwise dominant S-Kill with near triple-fraud in the top 8.

#21 Posted by Brenderous (1098 posts) -

Jeff Gerstmann

#22 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2029 posts) -

I played with Mr. N at PAX but that was before most of these characters were announced.

#23 Posted by Skooky (473 posts) -

Why the fuck are there so many characters?

#24 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I'll probably play as either dive or kick, since its almost tradition for me to play the Ryu Ken characters in the beginning of every fighting game, before I move on to others

#25 Edited by RetroVirus (1468 posts) -

Kick for sure. #DatPurp

#26 Edited by mccarron (75 posts) -

I'm maining MarkMan for now, but I do need to develop a secondary character for certain matchups and need to do some more study in that area as I learn my matchup weaknesses.

#27 Posted by Anim8td_fan (42 posts) -

Dr. Shoals is my first go to character when I pick it up since I've never played the game. She looks really fun to play as. F-F-F-F-OOT DIIIIIIVE.

#28 Posted by D_W (1142 posts) -

Probably Sensei since he looks like he has some tricky stuff and it doesn't seem like a lot of people play him.

#29 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

I like Kick, Markman and Kenny. Can't pick right now, will have to play a bunch first.

#30 Posted by DarkShaper (1323 posts) -

@starvinggamer: Pardon my ignorance, but what do those numbers actually mean?

#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@starvinggamer: The two characters I was thinking of maining are currently considered bottom tier.

Figures.

#32 Posted by RecSpec (3798 posts) -

Ever since the UFGT reveal I decided I was going to main S-Kill. Even put him on my arcade stick.

#33 Posted by BBAlpert (1428 posts) -

Scorpion.

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

@darkshaper: Odds. Each row gives you the odds that a character is likely to defeat an opponent in the corresponding column, provided they are both of equivalent skill level.

For example, the first row corresponds to the matchups for Dive. The first column has a Divekick logo because a Dive vs. Dive match is always going to be even odds. The second column then lists a 4 underneath Kick, meaning that Dive has a 4/10 chance of beating Kick. If you go down to the second row, first column, you'll see that Kick in turn has a 6/10 chance of beating Dive.

The numbers in the far right column total up all the matchup odds for each character. Because each character has a total of 11 non-mirror matchups and a score of 5/10 is considered even odds, any character with a total score over 55 is going to have generally favorable odds. Dive, with a score of 74, is going to have the best odds overall.

#35 Posted by da5id (26 posts) -

Take that tier chart with a grain of salt. Kung/Shoals is 9-1, for example

Dive/Shoals

#36 Posted by G_ (9 posts) -

Take any tier list with a grain of salt. Nobody knows any of the matchups as they stand right now. Most people have gotten a chance to play as 1-2 characters and have most likely played against most of the same characters.

Give this game a week outside of release and everyone's idea of where everyone lies will be completely flip-flopped.

#37 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@g_ said:

Take any tier list with a grain of salt. Nobody knows any of the matchups as they stand right now. Most people have gotten a chance to play as 1-2 characters and have most likely played against most of the same characters.

Give this game a week outside of release and everyone's idea of where everyone lies will be completely flip-flopped.

Exactly, there's a lot of things to find out yet. I recall one player at PAX East at the Mad Catz booth, pretty sure it was Arturo Sanchez, who played Redacted entirely around the wall jump. When have you ever seen anyone else even use the wall jump?

#38 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@flstyle: I didn't even know Redacted had a wall jump.

#39 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (741 posts) -

I played enough Markman to know that'll be my main. Just Frame EWGFs are awesome.

#40 Edited by da5id (26 posts) -

@flstyle: there was a guy at CEO who played like that. Super scary

#41 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@da5id: Do you remember who it was?

#42 Posted by da5id (26 posts) -

@flstyle: no I'm horrible with player names. I think we did a FT5 and he was scary. When you have to actively watch out for the corner jump it really makes it hard for Dive to control space.

#43 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@da5id said:

@flstyle: no I'm horrible with player names. I think we did a FT5 and he was scary. When you have to actively watch out for the corner jump it really makes it hard for Dive to control space.

And according to the chart Dive beats a normally played Redacted 6-4, interesting!

#44 Posted by G_ (9 posts) -

@flstyle Ramon of Iron Galaxy is the best Redacted player I know of. He's crazy good with her feral stance and wall-jump. He mostly uses the wall-jump to close distance and sometimes to catch an opponent off-guard.

Redacted can also wall-jump off of her wall-jump. You hit Dive+Kick while in the air to grab the wall the first time, then as she's jumping off the wall, she's technically still close enough to it to grab it again. So with enough meter you can buffer the wall-jump over and over again before jumping off. Pretty scary.

#45 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Part of me feels like this is going way too far with the joke, while the other part of me thinks this is exactly where the joke needs to be.

Also, my main will be whoever can dive and then kick.

#46 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Part of me feels like this is going way too far with the joke, while the other part of me thinks this is exactly where the joke needs to be.

Also, my main will be whoever can dive and then kick.

What joke are you referring to?

#47 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -
#48 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2498 posts) -

I like the way Kick works - also, I play Ken/Ryu/Akuma, and he seems to be the Ken of this game from a fiction standpoint.

#49 Posted by GaspoweR (2940 posts) -

I'll say it here: ALL OF THEM.

#50 Posted by TurboMan (7498 posts) -

CHECK OUT MY BOBBLE HEAD.

JeBonus or go home.