#1 Posted by tehsorrow (64 posts) -

Sometimes when I'm playing people online the camera will zoom in a little and end up sometimes with one or both of us not visible on the screen. Does this happen to anyone else and any cause/fix?

#2 Edited by Itwongo (1207 posts) -

As far as I can tell, it's caused by lag. In a laggy game, if you kick the opponent, it can trigger the zoom-in and hit sound on your end, but may not be recognized on his end. I don't know of a fix, besides ending the round.

#3 Edited by mrcraggle (1941 posts) -

Definitely caused by lag. I was playing a pretty laggy match already but managed to hit the opponent in the face getting the announcer to say "headsh..." and then the game carried on with both of us just standing in the same spot barely able to see a thing as it was so zoomed in. Unfortunate for me that I was facing REDACTED so they just jumped and kicked and took me out. This happened twice in that match and I ended up losing because of the lag. It's pretty bullshit when you've so obviously won.

#4 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Yep, I got into a choppy match and hit what I (and apparently the game) thought was a kill, but the round continued in the zoomed kill cam and I ended up losing.

It's only happened once, but it sucked terribly.

#5 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

You played a match where the netcode was rewinding frames to determine which was the correct state. It happened to me to where as soon as I hit, it rolled back determining that it wasn't a confirmed hit. It's not necessarily a bug but rather just a victim of the netcode's output, albeit it's a good netcode.

It's not necessarily lag but rather a situation where the code was trying to find out within the possibly high latency which was correct. So rollbacking is a much more appropriate term than lag in this case. You can decrease the amount of rollbacking by applying forced frames of input lag but your timing will likely get thrown off. It's an interesting trade in the GGPO code.

You can either have a lagless experience but be prone to rollbacking frames if you fight someone with high latency or a smoother experience to compensate for the latency but can affect your general timing.

#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

You played a match where the netcode was rewinding frames to determine which was the correct state. It happened to me to where as soon as I hit, it rolled back determining that it wasn't a confirmed hit. It's not necessarily a bug but rather just a victim of the netcode's output, albeit it's a good netcode.

It's not necessarily lag but rather a situation where the code was trying to find out within the possibly high latency which was correct. So rollbacking is a much more appropriate term than lag in this case. You can decrease the amount of rollbacking by applying forced frames of input lag but your timing will likely get thrown off. It's an interesting trade in the GGPO code.

You can either have a lagless experience but be prone to rollbacking frames if you fight someone with high latency or a smoother experience to compensate for the latency but can affect your general timing.

Good breakdown. Fascinating... but still frustrating as hell.

I've been actually really pleased with the way the game performs.

#7 Posted by Itwongo (1207 posts) -

For those on PC, I've found that a player's PC performance stat is directly proportional to how well the game will go. I straight up refuse to play with people with a C grade or lower.

#8 Edited by eccentrix (1569 posts) -

@itwongo said:

For those on PC, I've found that a player's PC performance stat is directly proportional to how well the game will go. I straight up refuse to play with people with a C grade or lower.

Is that actually what that means? I thought it was the player's performance on the PC platform. Your thing makes a lot more sense.

#9 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

@itwongo said:

Is that actually what that means? I thought it was the player's performance on the PC platform. Your thing makes a lot more sense.

Nope, it definitely is their PC's performance. It's a tad spotty as people with an S performance can still produce laggy/choppy matches, but typically I just sit in the lobby and watch the MS count stabilize before I ready up.

I believe my own performance hovers between a B and an S. Really weird.

#10 Edited by eccentrix (1569 posts) -

@imperiousrix: That's a cool feature, even if it isn't explained anywhere.