#1 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3931784/capcom-devs-describe-the-long-distance-romance-with-ninja-theory-that

The video-game industry is littered with stories of game developers in the U.S. and Europe trying to work with publishers in Japan and finding it a painful experience. While the collaboration between Capcom and England-based Ninja Theory wound up producing the fairly well-reviewed DmC: Devil May Cry, it was far from smooth sailing from start to finish for the three-year-long project.

"It was the classic long-distance romance," Eshiro reflected. "We were always the most nervous just before the meeting, and it'd be such a relief afterwards. Development studios working in this kind of client/subcontractor position have a tendency to be really businesslike with their relations, but we had a really close relationship with Ninja Theory. They're really forward-thinking, so it was worth teaching them everything we could."

I'm really interested in seeing more about these East/West developer mash-ups. Have there been other articles telling about, say, Castlevania:LoS (which was a team-up between Konami and Spanish developer MercurySteam)?

#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

Yeah this was an interesting read.

Capcom seems to really like NT. Another game with them seems inevitable, whether its DmC 2 or not.

I never read anything about LoS... but they are getting back together.

#3 Posted by dudeglove (7840 posts) -

A decent insight into the peculiarities of the game industry. Outsourcing work isn't an uncommon factor nowadays. Devs will regularly get freelance artists on the horn for concept art. The ranting of those crazy morons on the internet would have you believe that Capcom unwittingly tossed the game overseas because they're, like, stupid or something.

Ninja Theory did a pretty good job.

#5 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I liked reading that. Sounds like a large part of why the game plays well is due to capcom guiding them on japanese game design. Design which sounds much better than what they would have other wise if Heavenly Sword is any judgement.

#6 Edited by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

I liked reading that. Sounds like a large part of why the game plays well is due to capcom guiding them on japanese game design. Design which sounds much better than what they would have other wise if Heavenly Sword is any judgement.

Yeah, true that. Imagine how the game would have ended up had Capcom not given them assistance in the gameplay. The reaction would be FAR more negative than it already is.

#7 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

What a relief, I took the thread title to be negative with people yelling at each other and all, but it's cool that everything worked out well between the two of them.