#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

This should be officially confirmed later today, according to All Things D, but Don Mattrick is reportedly leaving Microsoft to take a top role at Zynga, potentially as the company's CEO.

Don Mattrick, the president of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business — which centers on the Xbox and all the software giant’s gaming and entertainment efforts — is leaving the company, said multiple sources close to the situation.

These sources added that the high-profile executive is also close to taking a top job at Zynga, the troubled online social gaming company, possibly as its CEO and working in close partnership with its founder and current CEO Mark Pincus.

Sources said the announcement of Mattrick’s appointment could be made as soon as today, after the markets close.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

A fate worst then death.

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9762 posts) -

That's kind of like jumping out of one fire and into another.

#4 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I guess the internet really was right about him hating consumers, huh?

#5 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11995 posts) -
@jasonr86 said:

I'd say it's more like jumping from a fire onto a sinking ship... that is also on fire.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11438 posts) -

Good! Bring back J Allard!

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I'd say it's more like jumping from a fire onto a sinking ship... that is also on fire.

One that rips off games and then charges microtransactions.

#8 Edited by pyromagnestir (4333 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

At least the ice cold water will put the fire out, right?

#9 Edited by Animasta (14718 posts) -

great, he was teh smarmiest motherfucker in that conference.

and that's saying something

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Sounds about right.

#11 Edited by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

Seems fitting.

#12 Posted by ConfusedOwl (961 posts) -

I'm sure he'll fit right in.

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I wonder if he picked to leave.

#14 Posted by Superfriend (1578 posts) -

@ezakael said:

I'm sure he'll fit right in.

#15 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4735 posts) -

Can't knock him for probably getting a big ass paycheck, but, if I was at Zynga, I would not let this man answer any questions during an interview after the whole Xbox thing. In my opinion, he was largely responsible for the shitty press they were getting...

#16 Posted by RazielCuts (2981 posts) -

Whaaat. No wonder he was so bland and uninterested about Xbox at E3, he already had one foot out the door. But yeah no matter what bad press MS is getting at the moment (some of which he's to blame for), I know I'd rather work for MS than Zynga at this point.

A reconstruction of what happened (replace *Poochie with Mattrick) -

#17 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

"For customers who lack the necessary funds to buy energy in CityVille, we already have a product - it's called Monopoly CityVille Edition"

#18 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

Jeez, all sorts of things happening in the Xbox front huh...

#19 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Wait if you think about it the other way around. He might have helped the X1 drop the DRM and online stuff. How many people got even madder after he opened his mouth? The real anger started RIGHT when he started talking.

#20 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

WHAT

#21 Edited by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -
#22 Posted by Mastertarvin (53 posts) -

Kinda of weird choice, I heard rumors that Microsoft was looking to clean house after the Xbox team fucked up the messaging of what the Xbone drm stuff was for. Maybe that would explain him jumping ship early to avoid being fired, but Zynga? Really?

#23 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Kinda of weird choice, I heard rumors that Microsoft was looking to clean house after the Xbox team fucked up the messaging of what the Xbone drm stuff was for. Maybe that would explain him jumping ship early to avoid being fired, but Zynga? Really?

According to the source:

The move appears to be largely unrelated to the massive restructuring being mulled by CEO Steve Ballmer at Microsoft. Talks between Mattrick and Zynga have been going on for some time, said sources.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (15097 posts) -

#25 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

This news is just too perfect.

The stars are aligning for J Allard's triumphant return!