Is the high jump off enemies busted in this game?

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

I've been playing Tropical Freeze lately. And while I understand it's a different kind of game since the SNES DKCs (mainly the sense of momentum is a whole different beast), there's an element of this game that feels particularly busted. High jumping off enemies feels like a dice roll.

No level demonstrates this better than Bopopolis in World 2. What a fucking nightmare. It feels like the game doesn't know how to check for high bounces if you're shot out of barrels. Apparently I can high jump off stationary enemies or those marching in step, but as soon as you're shot out of a barrel the timing window changes for no good reason. Sometimes I high jump, sometimes I go into a pit. I died at least 50 times on the very first enemy before I started lucking out.

Unfortunately they reuse this setup a few more times. It feels fucking broken. I've tried hitting the jump button before hitting the enemy, after, during, and there's no consistent way. What the fuck is going on?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@sarumarine: You gotta release and rehold A to bounce off enemies properly in the Retro DKCs. It used to be in DKCR you had to time it just so but my understanding is it's more lenient in DKCTF.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

@themasterds: Really? Holding the button huh? Well, I definitely held the button after trying to time it with landing on the enemy. Eventually I developed a reliable strategy of double tapping the button right before hitting an enemy and holding it down. It worked pretty well with only a few failures. Still feels really frustrating considering how different it feels when you're moving at speed.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Basically hold while you're bopping and then release and repress while in the air.