I bought this game back in July and all I've ever done is patch it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shindig  Online

Today's being 22GB in size. Can this practice not just sod off? After the patch Doom will take up a fifth of my hard drive. A game I've bought on disk. And not played.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry dude. I wanted to keep DOOM on my Hard Drive(I bought it online) as well and yeah, the constant patching takes a toll on both my Hard Drive and Internet connection. Just be glad you aren't in a part of the world where Internet just SUCKS!!!!

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Picky_Bugger

You could have played it and uninstalled it by now then it'd take up no space or set it to not update.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The patches can definitely get absurd, but to be fair, there's usually a damn good reason for their size. Today's patch adds a ton of content, for example.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

You should try playing it or if you don't want to play it deleting it.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WheresDerrick

It seems really weird to complain about it when you could just delete it? It actually adds content to the game.

Bioshock Infinite had a required 13 gig update that did nothing but add a new language a large portion of owners can't even speak/read.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol the last update stopped me from playing altogether. So i have to dl 30gb now i guess smh. Game seemed fine what are these huge patches for?

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By gundogan

@oursin_360: Arcade mode this time. Basicly you can score/time attack segments now. Also more multiplayer modes and classic doom assets in SnapMap,

Loading Video...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shindig  Online

@mtfikhan said:

I'm sorry dude. I wanted to keep DOOM on my Hard Drive(I bought it online) as well and yeah, the constant patching takes a toll on both my Hard Drive and Internet connection. Just be glad you aren't in a part of the world where Internet just SUCKS!!!!

Guess what? I'm in a part where the internet sucks. It's previously had two 10GB-13GB patches which push it up to 67GBs, at present.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Nodima

Has this been happening on PS4 as well? I thought about playing it on a harder mode than default after recognizing this game would obviously reward becoming more and more familiar with its enemies and weapons and maps the way 90s FPS would, but then I wanted to buy more games so I deleted it.

I will say, though, that I did buy The Witcher 3 with season pass before it came out on PSN, played about 20 hours of it upon release, and then let it sit and trickle out patches until the final DLC was out and patches for THAT were released. I'm finally almost done with the main game and I bought it a year and a half ago.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you certain the game's size is actually expanding? Don't patches typically overwrite existing files with updated files?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shindig  Online

It reserves HDD space for the patch so, until its installed, it takes up further space on my drive. Although I've decided to just delete it. I was at a point where I needed to get on with Doom or Witcher and I picked the former.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gundogan

@kcin: The game is 70GB for me now (PC). The default install is 45GB, so yea it is.

But they keep adding neat stuff to it. Especially SnapMap keeps getting better and better. The classic Doom stuff is cool with rooms from classic levels (hue hue finally E1M1 in DOOM), classic soundtrack and sounds. And I think this is new with this patch, but you can make a setting now where it loads a different map after finishing the current one, so you can make full singleplayer campaigns now sort of.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather most this stuff be optional downloads, i dont want ti download another 40gb to play a game i already downloaded. Patch should fix things, add content through free dlc or something.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean...you should probably play it. It's seriously a GOTY contender.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shindig  Online

Another 15GB patch dropped. I really need to get a move on with this.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Couldn't you just play this offline? Most of those big patches have been for content updates. The campaign itself has been perfectly fine since release so it's not as if you run the risk of playing a really buggy game without the patches.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The size of this game is bullshit. It's 70 gbs already and now an 11 gb patch?

Is it just 4k textures or what? I'm kind of assuming bethesda just can't be bothered to compress anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

There needs to be an option to opt out of all those multiplayer patches. Who the Hell is playing Doom multiplayer? I don't know anyone do you guys?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shindig  Online

Nobody. That's why this patch adds bot support.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn said:

Is it just 4k textures or what? I'm kind of assuming bethesda just can't be bothered to compress anything.

It's another content-heavy patch, so the size makes sense. Still, it really is getting a little ludicrous how big this game's footprint has gotten, and it's only going to get bigger.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mikemcn

@shagge said:
@mikemcn said:

It's another content-heavy patch, so the size makes sense. Still, it really is getting a little ludicrous how big this game's footprint has gotten, and it's only going to get bigger.

It should have custom install options so we can just download the singleplayer if thats what we want.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikemcn: Yeah, completely agreed. Most of it is SnapMap stuff, and I've long stopped fooling myself into thinking I can make a good map. And load times being what they are on the console version, I rarely pop in there to play other people's stuff either.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gundogan

Yea it should be three installs considering how big this game is now and most people being interested in the singleplayer.

That being said... The support for this game's been really good with tons of free content, added proper support for Vulkan API, sharing DLC maps with everyone in the lobby, AI adjustments for singleplayer, ect.

Some sort of standalone SP content next year like they did with Wolfenstein would really complete it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too long for the day when we can just opt out of certain update features. Whenever a DLC hits for certain games, the base game will update to "Get ready" for that dlc. things are weird now

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game started crashing ever since the vulkan patch came out (I changed no settings), I had other stuff on my plate so I gave up then. Maybe it's time to give it another shot

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shindig  Online

The only way to prevent these downloads on PS4 is to pause it and make sure it stays paused (because it doesn't) each time you boot your machine up.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@shindig: You should start writing reviews about the updates.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm usually not someone who complains about games with huge file sizes, but DOOM taking up almost a tenth of one of my hard drives is kinda ridiculous. Fun game 'n' all, but, I kinda wanna play other stuff.

hkabaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hkabaran

that was the main reason i forced myself to finish the game as soon as possible. it was taking too much space on my hdd i couldn't install any other games. i'm not saying i didn't like the game, it's probably the best game of this year but it was so fast-paced i always felt tired after playing like 30 minutes. so i took it chapter by chapter. i "forced" myself to get this one over with quickly because i didn't pay for it, my friend opened up his steam account for family share to me and suddenly i had so many games to play but not enough space to install them!

so maybe you should do the same. just take it in small doses.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I would rather most this stuff be optional downloads, i dont want ti download another 40gb to play a game i already downloaded. Patch should fix things, add content through free dlc or something.

That's what all of these patches have been doing, it's not like it's patching just for the fun of it. The amount of free shit Doom has gotten is insane, even if it's stuff I'll never personally touch. I'd much rather keep the SP as a separate install from the online stuff.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still play a couple levels of Doom every month or so. Downloading 12 GB patches every month or so is far preferable to me than redownloading an 80+ GB game all at once later down the line when they (hopefully) finally release singleplayer content akin to Thy Flesh Consumed for classic Doom.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a game but didn't ever play it, wah.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In case the OP, or anyone else who wanders into this thread, is on Steam, this is the option you're looking for:

No Caption Provided

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi

I mean this is going to be even more normalized the further we go on. Game sizes are going to get larger not smaller.

@oursin_360 That wouldn't work. The content needs to be synced between all users for Multiplayer and Snap Map purposes. When you split DLC off as optional downloads then player bases become fragmented and it can and has destroyed games before.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish there was a way to play games on Steam without having to download the latest update first like on PS4. That's one thing I miss about being primarily on console.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OurSin_360

@demoskinos said:

I mean this is going to be even more normalized the further we go on. Game sizes are going to get larger not smaller.

@oursin_360 That wouldn't work. The content needs to be synced between all users for Multiplayer and Snap Map purposes. When you split DLC off as optional downloads then player bases become fragmented and it can and has destroyed games before.

It still can be optional, i have no interest in the multiplayer or snap map at all so why would i want to download another 80gb right now? Make it multiplayer only, so opt in only if you want to play that.

Honestly, this prevented me from actually going back and playing the game, haven't played since i stopped around launch with about 10 hours in lol. Felt like playing a while back but didn't feel like download an entire new game worth of content i have no interest in. :-(

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#39  Edited By sammo21

Don't buy games you have no intention of playing? I see no problem here. Just uninstall the game...You could play the single player game without updating it...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@oursin_360: That's been tried before. Like the "compatibility packs" in some games. And thats entirely the thing if you don't own the DLC nobody is going to WANT to download those packs if they aren't mandatory. By forcing the content in the title update it makes sure everyone is on the same page. Some people may not like that but its better for the communities of games in the long run. And there is always the option of playing a game offline if you do not want to update it.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not patches though, as much as free updates. The latest updates includes a ton of content.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: You are aware that new patches overwrite and delete old patches?

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By berniesbc

@bojackhorseman: if you read the thread, you would see that the game is 30+ gb larger than it was upon release.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hatking

Halo 5 is sitting at about 92GB right now. 20% of my hard drive is taken up with that game.

Edit: Game was like 40GB when I bought it.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

You think DOOM is bad, Halo 5's latest update just put it at ~97 GB! That's more than double the size of the Master Chief Collection! On principle I refuse to delete Halo off my hard drive, but my poor 500 GB Xbox One is practically bursting at the seems when I try to download anything new.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wish you could choose what parts of the game you want to keep installed. I would immediately delete the multiplayer portion and save a whole lot of bandwidth as a result.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: i still dont see how that would be bad for people who have no interest in the multiplayer. Just have optional multiplayer updates and allow us to opt out. Its not going to hurt the community when some of us have 0 interest in that content. Also i shouldn't have to change online settings to play my game, granted that is steams fault but its still an unnecessary hassle.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this problem only compounds when you get further and further into the future. I don't know how big Doom's multiplayer scene is (big? small?) but 3 years from now it's going to be barren compared to what's going on now. It'll decrease further when the inevitable Doom 2: Samuel Hayden and the Sword of Satan comes out. When Doom goes on sale in the future or when players want to go back and experience the campaign one more time before jumping into the second one they're going to be downloading a 72gb (or more) bloated mess half-full of dead multiplayer content. This is what I feel is the real problem and real waste of space.

It's not even a good multiplayer experience.