Anyone else remember playing Doom's PS1 version?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Like many, I played a helluva lot of Doom growing up, only for me it was the PS1 version. I had bought Doom on XBLA years ago figuring I'd get to relive some of those memories, but of course something felt different, and I couldn't quite tell what.

So, I recently decided to buy the copy of the PS1 version again, and it all came flooding back! No wonder the XBLA version felt so weirdly alien; the version that I grew up on was a very different take. In fact it basically functions as a precursor to Doom 3. Its midi-metal is traded in for a more ambient and atmospheric soundtrack, and the lighting was made to be much darker, though there's also an awful lot of flashing lights as well to give the sense of danger. I was surprised to find that it even had some unique sound effects, like the weird gurgles the imps always made, to the even more meatier sound of the shotgun.

It's all not ideal, though, as of course this is still a PS1 FPS we're talking here... You have to use L1/R1 to strafe and the d-pad to move, which naturally makes things a little difficult to control. The weapon switching is actually more seamless than the XBLA version at least, but nonetheless... this isn't how you want to play an FPS, especially these days.

Also, password systems >=/ Since you can't save that meant that should you die, there's no getting around it, you now have to start the level off with but a pistol... unless you cheat. So, it's undoubtedly not Doom's finest version, but its more horror-oriented atmosphere I can't help but find myself more drawn to than the rockin' style of OG Doom. Anywhoo, I'm just glad I was able to once again rekindle what it was I loved so much about Doom way back when. Despite the control quibbles I've still managed to push through and have actually quite enjoyed myself.

So, anyone else remember enjoying the PS1 version at all? I imagine there's very likely a mod out there that adapts the PC version with the PS1 version's qualities at that.

Oh, and dat main menu music... Magnificent.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Yes. I remember the demo had a weirdly atmospheric bit of music that wasn't in the full game, but if you put the disc into a CD player you can hear it there. The PS1 version was the first version I ever beat.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

There is a PC fan version of the N64 Doom, which was also supposed to be more atmospheric than Doom 1 and 2. The PS1 version of Doom is probably best played with an emulator, where you can use save states so you don't have to restart with a pistol.

It's worth mentioning that Doom 1 has its own fair share of atmosphere and terror and all that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I remember the demo had a weirdly atmospheric bit of music that wasn't in the full game, but if you put the disc into a CD player you can hear it there. The PS1 version was the first version I ever beat.

I remember playing the demo, too. Probably got it with a magazine or something, and I would routinely play through its one level over and over again. It was my first FPS after all so I was just as blown away by it as so many others were when Wolfenstein 3D was released. My PS3 can detect the game's music too, so I imagine this mysterious demo level theme is in there somewhere.

There is a PC fan version of the N64 Doom, which was also supposed to be more atmospheric than Doom 1 and 2. The PS1 version of Doom is probably best played with an emulator, where you can use save states so you don't have to restart with a pistol.

It's worth mentioning that Doom 1 has its own fair share of atmosphere and terror and all that.

Oh man, Doom 64... I played that a little bit too years back but remember thinking that one was too scary. I looked up some videos and it's impressive to see how it's not just some straight port, but more of a complete reimagining. New enemy assets, sound effects, levels and so on. Crazy to think that it's Doom's Nintendo console version that happens to be the scariest. Also, while original Doom 1 & 2 of course have an atmosphere about 'em, it's a lot more heavy metal as opposed to PS1 & N64 Doom's more foreboding aesthetic.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I wasn't even aware there was a PS1 version but i should have guessed considering they released it on everything. I played the SNES version though. Seemed great when i was 12! It's probably an awful version though.

That PS1 music is pretty good too but i just went and watched some footage of the PS1 version and somehow it feels wrong to not have this playing on the first level.

Loading Video...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus: Oh yeah, the OG Doom still has some superb music and accentuates the fast paced and manic nature of Doom well. It's pretty neat to see how much of a difference a simple soundtrack switch can make, because even while PS1 Doom is just as fast, the music gives it a surprisingly effective atmosphere made up of dread.