Edited 7 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Which do you prefer - Doom or Doom II? (169 votes)

Doom 52%
Doom II 33%
I haven't played both 15%

I suppose you can take Doom to mean either original Doom or Ultimate Doom.

#1 Edited by believer258 (11641 posts) -

Doom 1 is a better designed and better balanced game. Doom 2 is a lot of fun as well but some of those levels are kinda bad.

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2142 posts) -

Doom. Doom 2 had some rather bad levels.

#3 Posted by Rafaelfc (1314 posts) -

Doom 1 has the best FPS level ever (E1M1)

But Doom 2 is my jam.

#4 Posted by AMyggen (2549 posts) -

Doom for how insane it was at the time (I remember it blowing me the fuck away), and because the maze-like structure of the level design in Doom II just got a bit too extreme at times. You could get lost in Doom, but Doom II just got a bit too crazy with that level structure.

Doom II has some stone cold classic multiplayer levels though.

#5 Edited by RazielCuts (2931 posts) -

I've played Doom 1 a whole bunch throughout my life, Doom 2 not so much so whenever I do it feels more interesting 'cause its 'newer' to me. But yeah Doom 1 'cause its the OG and gave us some great music.

#6 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Doom 1 has way better levels and the music is better.

#7 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@canteu said:

Doom 1 has way better levels and the music is better.

#8 Edited by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -

Quake.

Shit.

#9 Edited by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

I can't remember which was a higher quality game, I can't even quite remember what levels are in what anymore but I have to give it to the original Doom purely for it's wow factor.

#10 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

been replaying Doom a lot recently. It's so bight colors, fast paced and I memorized everything about it. Doom 2 isn't really a massive leap, the inclusion of Revenants change it up as nice encounters. The Arachnotrons have nice set pieces. You know Doom 2 isn't a massive breakthrough but it's very well done, I prefer chapter select in Doom 1 and knowing there's fewer levels in each chapter.

#11 Edited by Humanity (8814 posts) -
#12 Posted by SunBroZak (1020 posts) -

Doom 3.

That's right, think about it.

#13 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

Doom 4 is where it's gonna be AT bro.

I hate myself.

On the serious, though, Doom 1 is my go to if I just wanna blast some demons to heavy midi for 20 minutes. Doom 3 is more my sit down for a couple hours in the middle of the night and occasionally go "oh shit!" game.

#14 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

Though choice. Doom's levels are better, but Doom 2 does have the super shotgun...

#15 Edited by PimblyCharles (1317 posts) -

I love either, but prefer Doom II. Man, had good times making .wad's back in the day, and playing over my 56k modem with a friend. Damn good times!

#16 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

Doom has E1M1 midi, but Doom II has the Super Shotgun. So it's a draw, honestly.

#17 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

What is with this sudden "Doom 2 had bad levels" meme that's popped up? Barrels o' Fun?? Tricks and Traps?? Monster Condo?? Spirit World????? Gimme a break you kids.

Anyway, I voted Doom 2 because it has the BEST weapon in video game history: the Super Shotgun. EVERY video game shotgun since Doom 2 has been based on it.

#18 Edited by consoleui (14 posts) -

I love them both, but I'm going to have to go with Doom 1.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

@vuud said:

What is with this sudden "Doom 2 had bad levels" meme that's popped up? Barrels o' Fun?? Tricks and Traps?? Monster Condo?? Spirit World????? Gimme a break you kids.

Barrels o' Fun is great for the first two areas, then things get a bit too harsh and not-so-fun.

Monster Condo is objectively broken - you cannot get 100% without cheating; also, the timed secret is shitty game design. There's also a number of other levels where you can't get 100% because of poor level design.

Spirit World (along with others) requires you to do things that would otherwise be considered secrets. It seems a bit harsh to require players to walk through walls or shoot walls in order to just finish the level...

Another thing is the sheer abundance of floor-is-lava type levels - particularly the areas that you can get trapped in and can do nothing but reload or wait to die.

#20 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

Gameplay and level wise I like Doom II better, however I like the original Doom soundtrack better than in Doom II.

#21 Posted by supermonkey122 (811 posts) -

I accidentaly voted for "I haven't played both" but I meant to vote for Doom 1.

#22 Posted by Jeff (3418 posts) -

It's disturbing to me, how close this poll is. Only crazy people would vote for Doom 2!

Staff
#23 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Original, played both for the first time within the past year and both are awesome! But the original is better and would recommend that one to play

#24 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1693 posts) -

Doom 1 had superior level design. Some of Doom II's levels were ridiculously confusing and frustrating to play through. But that Super Shotgun is amazing... Still, I think one is maybe the overall better game.

#26 Edited by Gnubberen (762 posts) -

Doom totally had the better levels. Doom II though, had the super shotgun... And the Wolfenstein 3d/Commander Keen easter egg. But yeah, Doom wins.

#27 Posted by Sinusoidal (1293 posts) -

This is tough. Doom had better level design and was absolutely mind blowing when it came out. Doom II has the Super Shotgun, the Arch-Vile (fuck him! in a good way!!) and a much cooler final level. I went with Doom I for being slightly more nostalgic.

#28 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

@humanity said:

@fattony12000 said:

Quake.

Shit.

Damn son drop a bomb on it~!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, that was gonna be my response :(

wuteve, Quake 2 > Doom 2

#29 Edited by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@theveej said:

@humanity said:

@fattony12000 said:

Quake.

Shit.

Damn son drop a bomb on it~!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, that was gonna be my response :(

wuteve, Quake 2 > Doom 2

Well as conciliation I'll say great minds think alike!

#30 Posted by csl316 (8118 posts) -

When I need my Doom fix these days, I start up the original.

But the double shotgun, man.

#31 Posted by weegieanawrench (1935 posts) -

Original for sure. I mean, it has better levels and the music is so damn memorable. But if you want to throw Final Doom/Doom 95 into the mix, then I'd have to reconsider.

#32 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

The original. Doom 2 had a lot of lazy and/or convoluted level designs.

#33 Posted by adam1808 (1373 posts) -

Doom 1. That was a scary game in its day and I had never seen anything quite like it. It remains one of the only shooters bar Quake from that era that I'm okay with going back to.

#34 Edited by FortySixandTwo (43 posts) -

Doom II added the Double Barreled Shotgun & online play

still Doom 1 had the most shock value

#35 Posted by ThunderSlash (1555 posts) -

Doom, not even The Ultimate Doom. Just the free shareware version with only the first episode.

#36 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

I haven't played either in years but the original is far more memorable.

#37 Posted by MonetaryDread (1992 posts) -

The thing I liked about Doom 1 over 2 is that the game felt like it was a puzzle game with shooting. Doom II felt like it was a fast paced shooter that involved some level puzzles.

#38 Posted by CornBREDX (4813 posts) -

Doom.

They're both great, but Doom 2 is technically just an expansion. The maps are all over the place and oddly designed in spots (super obtuse- hard to find keys and where to go and what not).

#39 Posted by Vextroid (1358 posts) -

Doom 1. Overall better map design.

Suburbs alone is enough to make me hate Doom 2.

#40 Edited by civid (359 posts) -

Doom 2, I never finished Doom 1, got kinda bored with the leveldesign and weapons halfway through. I don't know why but the weird ass leveldesign of Doom 2 and the sawed-off shotgun charmed the socks off me, I really enjoyed that game from start to finish

#41 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Doom. I didn't even like the super shotgun.

#42 Edited by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

You remember that level in Doom 2 where you had to shoot the one random patch of wall to find the level exit?

Yeah. Doom 1 is the better game.

#43 Edited by Isomac (55 posts) -

Doom II has pain elemental, so I voted Doom.

#44 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -

@greggd said:

Doom has E1M1 midi, but Doom II has the Super Shotgun. So it's a draw, honestly.

^^^

#45 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1946 posts) -

I WANTED DOOM BUT WAS TOO DUMB TO REALIZE I PICKED DOOM 2.

I fucked up.

(In reality I like both, but the first one just ekes out on the fact that its got more fun level design)

#46 Posted by TwoLines (2788 posts) -

DOOM 2 mothafuckas! Cackodad all up in here!