• 59 results
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

And watching dota? Oh god lets watch paint dry while we're at it too. Remember when GB did like ten quicklooks for diablo 3? After the first one it got pretty damn boring to watch. Dota is pvp diablo or pvp one unit warcraft.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sounds like you'll never get the appeal because you don't even want to try to understand why people might like something you don't.

I absolutely don't want to play any MOBA because I despise team experiences in a competitive setting, but I understand its appeal.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

Well, too bad. I think Dota 2 is awesome and I'm loving all this content.

Having everything not appeal to you sure is rough.

EDIT: Also, why would you ever think of making a thread like this? Just to be a giant butthole? Because you absolutely have to make a thread for your dumb complaints so everyone can see just how dissatisfied you are?

I will never get the appeal of making threads like these.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a live stream I'll watch it. For shit sake I watched them for an hour and a half doing nothing but spring cleaning. Also don't see the appeal of it, but it looks interesting enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've never understood the appeal of starting a thread about how you don't understand the appeal of a game that is obviously well liked.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I understand the appeal. Boom. Should I make my own thread now?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I like diablo and that type of game, but dota seems like diablo minus all the good parts.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont play them but im beginning to become a bit interested as i can see a small parallel between fighting games (which i love) and moba's in the unique character strategy and all that.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand the appeal of these types of games and enjoy playing them myself but I find no enjoyment watching them. I understand what is happening and can follow the action well enough but it just makes me want to go and play a game on my own. Although that is how I kinda feel about most playthroughs of any game.

GB only did 2 quick looks for Diablo 3. One for the beta and one for the retail version. There was also a TNT where everyone played but that doesn't count as a QL. Diablo was a huge release, I think it warranted that level of coverage and it was something the whole crew wanted to play, what's wrong with that?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why people like them, and they can be fun, but the communities turn me off from the whole experience so friggin' much. Why would I willingly subject myself to baselessly being called a faggot over and over and over and being forcefully kicked from games?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you are confusing not liking something versus not seeing the appeal in something.

I would never sit my ass naked into a cake, but with a bit of open mindedness I can see why someone else would. I think.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before you write off the community, you should get in some low-level matchmaking or in-house games through the Giantbomb chat channel in game. I promise it's like 95% cool, friendly people.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@jozzy said:

I would never sit my ass naked into a cake, but with a bit of open mindedness I can see why someone else would. I think.

But would you watch a live stream of it?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Sounds like you don't want to like them, but it's not replacing any other content it's something new.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: I agree. But at the same time I want to know what they like about it. Like people go nuts over it. Don't you want to know why? I look at MOBAs like an anthropologist. Also I hate Lacrosse. BUT WHY DO THEY LIKE IT. I think thats a more fun angle to take, cause otherwise you will be aggravated all the time, like I was.

The problem is Brad has not explained fully WHY he likes it so much. Only THAT he is playing it a bunch. I can assume that he likes the Starcraft style micro streamlined down to just the bare elements. Plus the fighting game analogy seems relevant. I like figuring out matchups in Street Fighter, maybe I would like to figure out matchups in DOTA>

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@jozzy said:

But would you watch a live stream of it?

I've already paid to see the Will Cumface, Jeff drink gin, Ryan make fart noises in front of a greenscreen, Ryan flush a pie down a toilet, and Drew eat fermented fish from a trash can full of water. What makes you think I wouldn't watch a man sit on a cake?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MezZa

I get where you're coming from. Mobas appeal to some people, and that is all that really matters in the end. While I'm not the kind of person they appeal to, I totally understand why they could be fun. I've played with some friends of mine who are really into it, and there is a certain addictive quality of the teamwork and competition involved. Because I was on a team, I found it really easy to just play without being stressed out about my performance. Compared to primarily 1v1 focused games like Starcraft, that can be appealing to casual players. If the player fails its easier to feel like the loss isn't completely on their shoulders when they're on a team. Plus, in my experience any game where you can team up with good friends usually leads to some fun experiences that transcend the game itself, and I think that is a pretty big reason why these are so popular. The gameplay itself is fairly fun because the mechanics are simple to pick up, but the concepts involved and match-ups are more difficult to master. You kind of have to enjoy micro a lot though because that's all it is really if you ignore the teamwork side of things.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EXTomar

So basically the OP is being the old man yelling at people to get off his lawn. :)

That attitude is like how many Americans think of soccer. They have a bazillion complaints but are blind or ignore the reason why many others see it as compelling. To that end, these streams are fun to watch listening to Brad be surprised with how well he is doing. Add into that the GB general chat commentary ("Save the llama!") and I think it is easily entertaining.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By CJduke

People like it because it's fun to play something competitive with a group of friends. It also takes the stress off sometimes when you can rely on someone else to win games for you, rather than in a game like starcraft where it's all up to you to win. Starcraft is way better of course, I still can't forgive Brad for quitting Starcraft for it.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By sins_of_mosin

My friend and I really enjoyed playing coop but its a real shame that its a neglected mode.

Harabec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cjduke: Take the stress off? Oh man not for me or my friends. Dota and the like are the only games that have ever made me rage during a game and physically want to beat up strangers. Even in other team games your individual skill can still bring you victory, but in a moba, you are so dependent on strangers that playing with randoms is like Russian roulette. Sometimes everything goes fine, but other times your team falls apart into ragers/leavers/feeders and there is nothing you can do about it.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jz said:

Well I like diablo and that type of game, but dota seems like diablo minus all the good parts.

Diablo seems like Dota without all the good parts. Boom.

Just kidding they are nothing alike. Ok fine they have some in common but I would say it has much less in common with Diablo than it has with most RTS's.

Also I think Dota 2 might be the best game to come out in the last 10 years.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: Never say never.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: Never say never.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Eidderf

It's not really for me but I don't have a problem with the coverage on the site, despite they grumblings now and again that Giant Bomb doesn't make as much video content as they used to there is more than enough alternative videos to give me my GB fix at least (and let's be honest here I'm sure even Brad will move on from DOTA in a month or so considering how many new games are being pushed his way and with all the other crazy stuff happening this year)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Phatmac

I love it and hope to see more content about it from GIantbomb. Don't like it? Don't eat!

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

If it's a live stream I'll watch it. For shit sake I watched them for an hour and a half doing nothing but spring cleaning. Also don't see the appeal of it, but it looks interesting enough.

WAS THIS CONTENT ARCHIVED!?!?!?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyrodactyl

@triple07 said:
@jz said:

Just kidding they are nothing alike. Ok fine they have some in common but I would say it has much less in common with Diablo than it has with most RTS's.

People can argue the merits of dota or league all day but at least 50% of the reason people find those games appealing is the same reason other people find mmos or slot machines appealing. It's kind of sad when you think about it.

sethshandor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sethshandor

Eh, I don't get it either.

But to each his/her own. I can't stand first person shooters.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you should ask the internet why it likes Dota 2 so much instead of just telling people that you don't get it?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Who would start a thread just to complain about a game that seems pretty dumb I mean come on.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are so many different types of video games, it is absurd to assume GiantBomb's coverage of all of them would appeal to you.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know there's other content to watch, yeah? And no matter what the content, there's a group of people it won't appeal to. That's the fun of video games: There's something for everybody.

On a side note, I find hardcore simulation games a curiosity at best and hellish at worst, but damned if it isn't fun watching the guys play them. On the other side of the coin, I find games like Crusader Kings and such so painfully dull to watch that even the commentary can't keep me watching. But I have a solution! What I do is stop the video and go find something else to watch. Works like a charm!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: So you hate something that you've spent 0 time playing or watching and don't get how people like it?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I love the idea that you can declare never understanding something's appeal. Like, never, as in, for the rest of your life you will never ever get it. While you may not find it all that interesting, I don't think that's what's going on here. Really the issue is the amount of time and attention given toward the game on the site that warrants this because otherwise, people would just be playing Dota 2 over there and not really bothering your life all that much.

Personally, there is almost absolutely nothing I can't see someone being "into" because social values are flexible.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I didn't get it until I decided to give League of Legends a serious try.

It led to a dark hole that took me 3 months to get out of. I'd probably still be putting several hours into that game per night if I didn't have to take a week long business trip that finally broke me away from the game long enough.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By supamon

I'm sorry you will never understand or appreciate a game millions of people play. I would never dream of thinking if you would give the game a try or actually attempt to understand why it's been played for about 10 years and counting. Here, have a cookie instead.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

That's how I feel about shooters. All the weapons do the same thing (shoot bullets), and the winner is just the guy to get the headshot first. What's the point? And why make that game 100 times?

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@supamon: Every time I see an image of that cookie can't help but think of this.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's 2 main reasons why I dig Dota 2:

- The team play. I love co-op games, and co-op with 4 other players is great. It's even better when it's with friends. Of course, because your performance and end result is technically influenced by your team mates, it can also be a nightmare. With friends, it's more often totally fun even when it's a nightmare.

- This is to do with Dota specifically, but in Dota there are so many different types of spells and heroes that play completely differently. Watching how spell X by hero Y interacts with spell A with Hero B is totally crazy and unexpected. I've had too many times where I've said "holy shit,THAT can actually work?".

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triple07 said:
@jz said:

People can argue the merits of dota or league all day but at least 50% of the reason people find those games appealing is the same reason other people find mmos or slot machines appealing. It's kind of sad when you think about it.

People can argue the merits of Videogames all day but at least Random-made-up-percentage of the reason people find videogames appealing is the same reason other people like walking into a place with a firearm. It's kind of sad when you think about it.

There we go, my argument made just as much sense as your and I believe I provided the same amount of evidence.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By triple07

@pyrodactyl said:

@triple07 said:
@jz said:

What? I don't even understand how you could get to that conclusion. I enjoy Dota because it allows me a competitive game where me and some friends can work together and try to beat the other team. How is that anything like a slot machine?

Granted the chest opening part is exactly like a slot machine but I only ever use trading to get keys because I don't like leaving it up to chance.

Also who are you to say its sad that someone is getting enjoyment out of something you don't? How self-centered are you?

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tonyp2121

It's definitely not something for everyone and personally it took a 10 hours or so before I really got into it. I was thinking that, "this sucks, I don't find this fun, its just dumb and I don't see the appeal." Once I worked through that though I found the game was extremely fun and extremely rewarding.

I dont understand how you can't see the appeal of it though. I hate strategy games but I at least see why someone would play it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people see explosions of light and sound and nonsense when they watch a Dota 2 match. We just need to remember others see explosions of light and sound and nonsense they watch a CoD match as well. In the end, people should be concerned about what makes them happy instead of expending energy wondering what and why something makes someone else is happy.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By supamon
Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

@oscar__explosion said:

WAS THIS CONTENT ARCHIVED!?!?!?

It's not on the site, but I think their twitch page should have it.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon: I can't remember the actor's name, but the character is Moriarty from BBC's Sherlock.

Basically someone took the scene here and added a cookie. There were a whole bunch of these posted here. To me it's the right kind of dumb.