• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

So I go into a Giantbomb in house fairly new to the game, hearing some cool things about the podcast and such, just learning the basics and thought joining an in house would be pretty fun.

It began, 5v5, with two commentators last night, and I thought I was up for a friendly comradeship romp with my fellow duders.

I was wrong.

I bought a few items, an extra courier for team efficiency, and began my journey to level up and conquer the Dire alongside my Radiant brethren. The commentators of the match continually made several amusing snarky remarks about several of the player's sexual orientations and performances as we played, giving off the "hey man, we're just here to have fun" kind of like the Bombcast crew does on their podcasts. I picked Skeleton King in the random draft because I heard he was the best hero and I'm pretty good at videogames in general and was confident I would be able to easily overcome whatever "oh so difficult learning curve" this game had; Brad gave DmC 5 stars after all and that game was piss easy.

Then it happened.

I was at my bottom tower, going up against two duders by myself. I fought valiantly, trying to get as many critical strikes in as I could, but one of them trapped me in a violent black death ball thing and before I knew it I was dead within 90 seconds of the game starting.

Almost immediately after my death some guy on the opposite team named poonwrangler69 goes off on a massive tirade about how his entire family linage had all played Skeleton King and that I might at well be pissing on the grave of his dead grandfather who played the original 5.84 DoTA in 2005 because of what he considered to be an "absolutely disgraceful" performance on my part. There were multiple player commentators that were equally appalled at this "disgrace" and kept asking me "Why, Joe, why?". I had no idea that peoples' families got so into DoTA that their families (which I assume is much like the Houses in Game of Thrones) had such close ties with particular heroes that they pass them down from generation to generation - and there were even legacies there to be had to begin with. It was never my intention to disrespect the dead or soil the memory of poonwrangler's family history. I was hurt, appalled, and left flabbergasted. Even though I eventually reached level 2, I couldn't even bring myself to put another point into the lifesteal aura, much less share the same lane as the opponent I had wronged.

Out of complete shame I immediately quit the game and uninstalled it and I'm never touching it again. I knew DoTA was serious, and I knew people playing DoTA were serious, but I had no idea how real it could actually get.

@brad , be careful, I'm getting the feeling you seriously you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@brighty said:

So I go into a Giantbomb in house fairly new to the game, hearing some cool things about the podcast and such, just learning the basics and thought joining an in house would be pretty fun.

It began, 5v5, with two commentators last night, and I thought I was up for a friendly comradeship romp with my fellow duders.

I was wrong.

I bought a few items, an extra courier for team efficiency, and began my journey to level up and conquer the Dire alongside my Radiant brethren. The commentators of the match continually made several amusing snarky remarks about several of the player's sexual orientations and performances as we played, giving off the "hey man, we're just here to have fun" kind of like the Bombcast crew does on their podcasts. I picked Skeleton King in the random draft because I heard he was the best hero and was prepared to have fun.

Then it happened.

I was at my bottom tower, going up against two duders by myself. I fought valiantly, trying to get as many critical strikes in as I could, but one of them trapped me in a violent black death ball thing and before I knew it I was dead within 90 seconds of the game starting.

Almost immediately after my death this guy named poonwrangler69 goes off on a massive tirade about how his entire family linage all played Skeleton King and that I might at well be pissing on the grave of his dead grandfather who played the original 5.84 DoTA n 2005 because of what he considered to be a lackluster performance on my part. There were multiple player commentators that were equally appalled at this "disgrace". I had no idea that peoples' families got so into DoTA that their families (which I assume is much like the Houses in Game of Thrones) had such close ties with particular heroes that they pass them down from generation to generation - and there were even legacies there to be had to begin with. It was never my intention to disrespect the dead or soil the memory of poonwrangler's family history.

Out of complete shame I immediately quit the game and uninstalled it and I'm never touching it again. I knew DoTA was serious, and I knew people playing DoTA were serious, but I had no idea how real it could actually get.

@brad , be careful, I'm getting the feeling you seriously you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

This has all ways been true with MOBAS. Their community can host some of the worst people. None of what your wrote surprised me. Also it sounds like whoever was saying about their " Family" was just fully insane. Or there is even a chance they where trying to be funny.

#3 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@brighty said:

I was wrong.

I bought a few items, an extra courier for team efficiency, and began my journey to level up and conquer the Dire alongside my Radiant brethren. The commentators of the match continually made several amusing snarky remarks about several of the player's sexual orientations and performances as we played, giving off the "hey man, we're just here to have fun" kind of like the Bombcast crew does on their podcasts. I picked Skeleton King in the random draft because I heard he was the best hero and was prepared to have fun.

Then it happened.

Almost immediately after my death this guy named poonwrangler69 goes off on a massive tirade about how his entire family linage all played Skeleton King and that I might at well be pissing on the grave of his dead grandfather who played the original 5.84 DoTA n 2005 because of what he considered to be a lackluster performance on my part. There were multiple player commentators that were equally appalled at this "disgrace". I had no idea that peoples' families got so into DoTA that their families (which I assume is much like the Houses in Game of Thrones) had such close ties with particular heroes that they pass them down from generation to generation - and there were even legacies there to be had to begin with. It was never my intention to disrespect the dead or soil the memory of poonwrangler's family history.

This has all ways been true with MOBAS. Their community can host some of the worst people. None of what your wrote surprised me. Also it sounds like whoever was saying about their " Family" was just fully insane. Or there is even a chance they where trying to be funny.

No he seemed pretty adamant at how deeply invested three generations of his family were into playing Skeleton King he sounded legitimate. With this kind of dedication its no surprise that legacy and tactics are passed down from father to son throughout the ages, I mean DoTA is like ten years old at this point, I'm sure given another five years it'll almost become a right of passage for manhood for some. I talked to poonwrangler after the match and he explained that there are weekly family meetups with several "serious" DoTA family (or a DotAmily for short) where all of the family members gather under their family's Coat of Arms and discuss tactics with their own family's "chosen" hero in order to improve. I guess his family (or house)'s chosen was Skeleton King.

#4 Edited by Yummylee (21463 posts) -

Love the oh-so-predictable DmC namedrop there. Wouldn't be a brighty thread without one!

#5 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Love the oh-so-predictable DmC namedrop there. Wouldn't be a brighty thread without one!

Yupp, I lost it at that point. Oh Brighty.

#6 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Are you sure this isn't some fever dream you had? Family tradition or not, poonwrangler should've gone mental right after you bought the second courier.

#7 Edited by Kolh (15 posts) -

You're lucky he did not challenge you to a duel, those House of the Skeleton guys are pretty intense.

#8 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

But Brad gave DmC five stars before getting into DOTA2 so...

#9 Edited by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

I almost....almost took this topic seriously up until the DmC stuff was mentioned then realized its yet another troll post by Brighty.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

Sigh... you again.

#11 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -
@kolh said:

You're lucky he did not challenge you to a duel, those House of the Skeleton guys are pretty intense.

I was told by the chat that I could make amends by challenging him to a "1v1 mid all tuskar" but I don't know what that means. I would like to be on good terms with the DOTA community, and would never want to intentionally disrespect someone's Dotamily (did I use that word right?)

#12 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Your argument would be better suited if you just cut that fucking DmC shit out.

Either way, this is why I will never ever EVER play a game like this unless I know all the people playing. It's a disgusting community. Sure, I can ususally wipe off the occasional name calling and rage messages in say a fighting community but this... I don't know if I could bring used to ignore it. It's sad because the game seems pretty fun but it seems like people are purposefully making it impenetrable or at the very least uncomfortable for new players. Shame.

#14 Posted by GaspoweR (2934 posts) -

@demoskinos: I don't this is a typical troll post. I was in the GB DOTA 2 chat last night and they were making fun of "JOE SK" in the GB chat and I think it was after the match that @brighty mentioned. They weren't throwing out slurs of any kind but pw69 was pretty much still making fun of him in the chat and it was still sticking with the family theme. I can't really recall details now but they were pretty much asking for people to join their game except for "Joe SK". All in all the guy wasn't necessarily being the nicest (he was being kind of a jerk actually) but he didn't seem to be throwing out racial or sexual epithets other than implying that Joe SK wasn't really good. Still though that doesn't really reflect well on the community since the guys I've partied up for about three games this week were actually very nice and not at all overbearing or arrogant. @brighty actually was just unlucky to have joined that particular game/group.

#15 Posted by GaspoweR (2934 posts) -

@brighty said:

I was told by the chat that I could make amends by challenging him to a "1v1 mid all tuskar" but I don't know what that means. I would like to be on good terms with the DOTA community, and would never want to intentionally disrespect someone's Dotamily (did I use that word right?)

I don't think the Family thing is anything serious really other than to imply that Skeleton King is one of the oldest Dota Allstars characters and went through various revisions in the original WC3 mod.

#16 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -
@taklulas said:

Game ID or it didnt happen.

Talk a lot of dumb shit over something you have no knowledge over.

They said some awful stuff after I left too that I had no idea about. I want to make this right, does anyone have any tips or advice on what a "1v1 all mid tusk only" match is and how I can regain my honor and respect? I have no quarrel with his Dotamily or its proud legacy and any aggression on my part was purely by accident.

#17 Posted by Merricks (27 posts) -

RIP Skeleton King Joe

#18 Edited by Bedurndurn (51 posts) -

I feel so special. I got shit talked in person and then some guy fake posts as me.

#19 Posted by Fobwashed (1949 posts) -

@demoskinos: @cloudenvy: IS there some kind of GB history with Brightly? I'm confused.

I've played a few games with the community and they've been nothing but supportive to me. Then again, I sorta know what I'm doing even tho I'm new to DotA 2 so maybe I catch less flack. I'd suggest anyone new to the game play against some bots first to understand the basics before going into pvp games =)

#20 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Whoosh.

#21 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Nerds on the internet, YO.

#22 Edited by poprocksandsoda (32 posts) -

I'm new to DotA 2 (and MOBAs in general). How long do I need to spend killing bots before I go into PVP matches? I beat the bots 80% of the time on medium but I'm 0/3 on hard. Do I need to beat bots on hard all the time before venturing into real matches or should I jump in and start taking my early pummeling? Thanks in advance.

#23 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

Giantbomb community by far most hilarious community to poke and prod, watching them interact with each other in their own natural habitat

@bedurndurn said:

I feel so special. I got shit talked in person and then some guy fake posts as me.

Nice job stealing my screencap, I'm the rightful Skeleton King Joe and I've got the evidence to prove it.

I talked it over with two of the commentators (as you can see in the replay match ID I posted, and they agreed to a "1v1 mid only tusk" fight to contest for my own honour), I guess the MOBA community is a cruel, but fair mistress. I will update this thread with my progress on how it goes.

#24 Edited by Quantical (344 posts) -

I printed out and then pissed on that screencap. Haha.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

@demoskinos: @cloudenvy: IS there some kind of GB history with Brightly? I'm confused.

I've played a few games with the community and they've been nothing but supportive to me. Then again, I sorta know what I'm doing even tho I'm new to DotA 2 so maybe I catch less flack. I'd suggest anyone new to the game play against some bots first to understand the basics before going into pvp games =)

He is a troll who still apparently can't deal with Brad and the general games press giving DmC postive scores. Check the various threads on the DmC boards and you're bound to run into plenty of his posts.

#26 Posted by AlisterCat (5520 posts) -

poonwrangler is a dick though. Don't let him affect your opinions.

#27 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

@fobwashed said:

He is a troll who still apparently can't deal with Brad and the general games press giving DmC postive scores. Check the various threads on the DmC boards and you're bound to run into plenty of his posts.

Please, let's be civil about this and not resort to slander. I thought you would be mature enough to be above this. DmC: Devil May Cry is a fine action game that you should go out and pre-order today to help support Ninja Theory. I'm sorry that you don't like the fact that the game bombed financially and failed to meet expectations but that's no reason to call me a troll, besides, this topic is about my woes and grievances in DOTA 2 and trying to regain my honour a la Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones in a trial by combat in whatever this "1v1 mid only tusk" is. I would appreciate your support on the matter, but if you choose not to, I will not hold it against you, but please, let us speak no more ill of this DmC. It will go away if you stop bringing it up.

@alistercat said:

poonwrangler is a dick though. Don't let him affect your opinions.

He's gentlemenly enough to allow me to fight for my honour against my unintentional slander against his Skeleton King Dotamily, which I understand in the MOBA community is serious offense that doesn't go without punishment. If Game of Thrones has taught me anything, I would hope you realize that it is his humility, his sense of honor, and fairness of giving me a chance to fight for my allegations that makes him a good ruler and a sportsmanlike gentleperson.

@quantical said:

I printed out and then pissed on that screencap. Haha.

I sincerely hope you are joking. From what I gather, honor and pride in DoTA mean everything, and if you cannot respect someone's image username or champion, then you inherit and have nothing. Urinating or otherwise defecating on a screencap of my blemished DoTA scorecard is the equivalent of slapping me in the face and once I am finish dueling it out defending my ancient against his, I will challenge you as well to the aforementioned "1v1 mid only tusk" competition so that we may settle this like men.

#28 Edited by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Going in DoTA alone is just madness. Find a friend that will guide you. I personally always play with at least 1 player I know.

#29 Edited by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Thank god you don't play Fighting Games.

#30 Posted by Andorski (5236 posts) -

DmC... AMIRITEGUIZ?

#31 Edited by TrashMustache (452 posts) -

@brighty: lol, you think Dota community is bad? You should try League of Legends, I was traumatized for months by the amount of shit i got over me while trying to learn the game. These Moba's are not easy to learn, it takes months and maybe even years to master.

#32 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Well that was fascinating. Thank you.

#33 Posted by FoolishChaos (434 posts) -

@poprocksandsoda: A few bot matches is probably enough. The bots are fun and all, but they aren't going to teach you how to play for reals.

You will be matched with other people who haven't played against people, so don't sweat it too much.

#34 Edited by Kidavenger (3526 posts) -

I don't understand why anyone internet savvy enough to be here would ever take anything said in an online videogame seriously.

Chat in MOBAs should just be removed from the game and add in a few buttons to warn each lane of MIAs or incomings, if you want to be pro get on vent or stfu nobody cares.

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Yupp, I lost it at that point. Oh Brighty.

Yep. Reading through this post, it's kind of obvious he just made this post to attack Brad for his DmC review. The obsession with that review that some people have is hilarious and sad.

#36 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

@jjor64 said:

Thank god you don't play Fighting Games.

#37 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (506 posts) -

I am flabbergasted that so many of you took this seriously. This guy is funny!

@brighty said:

No he seemed pretty adamant at how deeply invested three generations of his family were into playing Skeleton King he sounded legitimate. With this kind of dedication its no surprise that legacy and tactics are passed down from father to son throughout the ages, I mean DoTA is like ten years old at this point, I'm sure given another five years it'll almost become a right of passage for manhood for some. I talked to poonwrangler after the match and he explained that there are weekly family meetups with several "serious" DoTA family (or a DotAmily for short) where all of the family members gather under their family's Coat of Arms and discuss tactics with their own family's "chosen" hero in order to improve. I guess his family (or house)'s chosen was Skeleton King.

SO FUNNY

Thank you, brighty.

#38 Edited by jiggajoe14 (664 posts) -

What the hell did I just read?

#39 Posted by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

Okay, Hungry.

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

I'm still entirely confused about what this topic is actually about, other than the obligatory DmC burn because it's a brighty thread. Is he crying because someone told him he was bad at DOTA? Because that's how those games work. People are jerks, and then you get good enough to shut them up, probably with the aid of friends.

#41 Posted by Milkman (16611 posts) -

I assume this is some sort of hilarious joke or something.

#42 Posted by IroN1c (474 posts) -

@brighty said:

...because I heard he was the best hero and I'm pretty good at videogames in general and was confident I would be able to easily overcome whatever "oh so difficult learning curve" this game had; Brad gave DmC 5 stars after all and that game was piss easy

Oh my god. Wow. I never want to read anything from you again. Ever.

#43 Edited by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Brightly is impersonating "Skeleton King" Joe to mock him for being offended after getting shittalked in an inhouse match. Bedurndurn is the real Joe.

Some dota players like to facetiously insult each other in friendly matches as a defense mechanism against the vices of the community (getting yelled at in pubs has less bite when you're used to making a joke out of it), but when you're communicating through text it's hard to tell if you're joking around or not without that experience.

We didn't know that Joe was a new player, and if we did I'm sure those players wouldn't have joked around that harshly. Some of the guys were apologetic when they realized he was new, and I got into contact with him after the match to apologize on behalf of the rest of the group.

Whoever Brightly was in the match decided that he or she needed to make another jab at Joe instead, to justify being a douchebag around the clock instead of apologizing for it.

#44 Edited by geirr (2506 posts) -

Nevermind, I'm confused.. internet happened.

#45 Posted by tourgen (4458 posts) -

oh wow. thanks man, this post & thread has a rich, full bodied flavor. the trolling, the delicious forum comment histories. great stuff. the DmC controversy.

I played LoL for awhile. I quit once I realized I wasn't so much playing the game anymore as trolling the other players. I got good enough that when my inevitable team betrayal happened it would fill chat with immense unintelligible hatred. good times. get a job losers! anyway I know enough now to stay away from DOTA even though it looks pretty good.

#46 Edited by Nardak (469 posts) -

Speaking generally here. Playing with the Giant Bomb community is like playing with any other kind of gaming community in general. There are nice people, jerks, trolls, people with anger issues and so on.

I have no way of knowing if this is a true post or a troll post but I think what helps Brad in these kinds of games is that as part of Giant Bomb staff he probably gets treated better than other players who are starting out.

So the amount of trash talking and rude remarks aimed at Brad is probably a lot less than what other new players are getting when they start playing Dota.

Though in the end we all have to be a "noob" in order to get better at these games. Befriend the people who are giving you advice on the intricacies of the game because those kind of people are worth their weight in gold.

#47 Edited by EXTomar (4623 posts) -

What...? I am what is going on here....

ps. I've never seen anyone in Dota 2 call someone "brethren".

#48 Posted by Slag (4221 posts) -

Alllllllllllllllrighty then.

#49 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

This is a Joke thread, right? I can't tell anymore, the line between real and the absurd is crossed many times in the OP.

#50 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

All those dudes must have liked DmC.